Real Sword Type 97

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure about the mags and rail issue, but in terms of upgrades, I normally shove in a Prommy tightbore, but I've found the most useful one is putting in a larger hop nub, as in my stock Type 97, I h

http://t97.ca/

Posted Images

The 97 is good for QCB but it also is great as your standard assault weapon, rate of fire and distance are both there for you.

Personally i haven't tried the G&G L85, would like to one day but first i want the 97B model.

I find the normal Type 97 a bit slow on the rate of fire department. When using a high quality 9.6v battery, that is.

That is just me, though... (all my other guns with either SRC stock motor or Guarder inf. torque shot atleast 3 rps faster...)

16rps is also very realistic.

Btw, I have already broken the front of the hop-up unit after the 7th time of taking down hop-up for maintainence... stock bucking + hop-up = really tight.

Luckily, the hop-up can have the front (in front of the barrel clip) break off and function perfectly due to the design of the gun.

Now I finally got the KWA 2g bucking to work and the accuracy is very impressive.

Also, an I the only one who find that the Type 97 pre-cocks a tiny bit? It seemed like I have to trip the ARL everytime after firing (even semi-auto).

Edited by adadqgg
I find the normal Type 97 a bit slow on the rate of fire department. When using a high quality 9.6v battery, that is.

That is just me, though... (all my other guns with either SRC stock motor or Guarder inf. torque shot atleast 3 rps faster...)

I know what you mean. It's why I run my 97 on an 11.1v and my 97B on a 7.4v. I understand the 97's motor is high torque, but the 97B's motor has easily enough torque to pull springs that deliver over 400 fps, without an unacceptable drop in ROF.

Btw, I have already broken the front of the hop-up unit after the 7th time of taking down hop-up for maintainence... stock bucking + hop-up = really tight.

Luckily, the hop-up can have the front (in front of the barrel clip) break off and function perfectly due to the design of the gun.

I've not broken my hop yet, luckily and I've had it out a fair few times. Yeah - the rubber is really tight. However, I also find it to be really tough and good quality. When it goes, I'm not sure what I'd replace it with. If you could get the sleeve separate to a new hop unit, I'd just buy another.

Also, an I the only one who find that the Type 97 pre-cocks a tiny bit? It seemed like I have to trip the ARL everytime after firing (even semi-auto).

I hadn't heard that it pre-cocks. I'd expect a faster trigger response if it did. I used to get the same thing with my Tavor and my ICS M4 - they would unwind more often than not after a single shot. Only adding an active breaking MOSFET stopped that.

Yeah - short, gold and linear, with stiff fat coils. Same in my 97 and 97B. Replaced both with Prometheus springs - got rid of the 'twang' and inconsistent shots I sometimes suffered.

Interesting about the springs, i will have to pull mine out of the closet and compare it to some others that i have. Very Interesting

Yeah - short, gold and linear, with stiff fat coils. Same in my 97 and 97B. Replaced both with Prometheus springs - got rid of the 'twang' and inconsistent shots I sometimes suffered.

I chrono'd the stock spring earlier and I was surprised at the inconsistency.

As low was 340 but as high as 359. o_0

Will have to swap that out sometime.

Mine was much the same. First game of use the spring guide broke. And the tank of a spring wasn't instilling me with alot of confidence. Swapped it out ASAP. On a Madbull M100 it fires at 345-350.

I read somewhere (redwolf I think) about the sector gear being short one tooth on the B varient, but mine isn't. I wonder if that's something that was only included in the original run. Anyone else checked that sort of thing?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a new one of these, and I'm struggling to get the battery flush against the bottom of the grip, due to the wires coming out of it. Any suggestions, or is this just a brute force jobbie?

Edit: In particular, I'm talking about the 3 cells facing back

Edit2: Nevermind, I've managed to fit it in on about the 50th try with lots of poking and prodding

Edited by Pureownage

Just got a new one of these, and I'm struggling to get the battery flush against the bottom of the grip, due to the wires coming out of it. Any suggestions, or is this just a brute force jobbie?

Edit: In particular, I'm talking about the 3 cells facing back

Edit2: Nevermind, I've managed to fit it in on about the 50th try with lots of poking and prodding

I understand your feeling about the internal battery, its a pain and the only draw back to this AEG. That's why i went with a external battery pack, no tear down of the 97 each time you have to charge the battery.

Enjoy it, its a great AEG.

• 3 weeks later...

Used a 97 for the first time today. I was blown away with the performance (and so were my targets!). So well-balanced and the range was awesome. Some day, all AEGs will be made that good.

Despite the above, it's up for sale as I need the cash for 'life stuff'. sad.gif Selling it for what I paid. smile.gif

Edited by Panoptes

Hey, just to confirm, what is the length of the Type 97 barrel? Is it 509mm like Wilekcmc's tightbore he fitted or is it the 480mm stated by PvtCody? And if it is 480mm, what's the closest barrel length to that which won't poke out into the flashider?

The barrel length is 485mm long, i used a 509 barrel and cut it down to the proper length.

After experiencing the 97's stock inner, I installed a tightbore in my 97B as soon as I received it. I think I went for standard M4 length (363mm?). It pushed the FPS up, but I can't say for certain it did anything else.

As for MOSFETS, much as I like them (especially Infected's AB ones), I haven't bothered to install one. It's easy enough, though - as the contacts are on the outside of the GB. There's a thread on Airsoft Mechanics about it, IIRC.

I ran my 97 with an 11.1v lipo for over a year with no problems and no 'FET. I'm running my 97B on a 7.4v and I don't anticipate any problems. Saw the G2010 thread...but the way Real Sword builds things, I think it's a different kettle of fish.

Edited by The Reptile House

Only ever ran my 97B on a 7.4v lipo.

During the time I`ve owned it, it has only locked up twice in semi-auto (over a month apart) which was fixed with a quick burst of auto.

Only asking as I purchased an Infected fet but have since decided to sell the G2010, so now have a fet with no-where to go.

As for the tightbore, does it stick out of the flash-hider much or have you cut it down?

7.4v fits perfectly in the hand guard.

Plus the motor in the 97b is a high speed one, the ROF on a 7.4v is plenty fast.

Stock accuracy IMHO is very good on the 97B.

Groupings in auto could be a little improved but otherwise there isnt a burning need to upgrade anything in the 97B.

Never really felt the urge to upgrade it until recently, only then its mostly because I feel like tweaking.

Edited by Reppyboyo

I felt the stock accuracy on the T97B was good enough not to bother changing the barrel. But I did wonder about that. The hop chamber seems very tight as it is. Has anyone tried changing the barrel out for a prommy (useually bigger in outer diameter than a normal AEG barrel), and experienced any problems? Or has anyone swaped it for any other make, and maby found it easier to reinstall into the chamber?

...have since decided to sell the G2010, so now have a fet with no-where to go.

As for the tightbore, does it stick out of the flash-hider much or have you cut it down?

Sorry to hear you're selling the G2010. I had the same thing with the Tavor - it just didn't measure up to the T97 or 97B in terms of ergonomics or performance.

I didn't have to cut the tight bore down. It extends to about the start of the funnel, but not into it.

Never really felt the urge to upgrade it until recently, only then its mostly because I feel like tweaking.

They are so good OOTB that it's difficult to find excuses to tweak, eh?;)

All I've done is pop a tightbore in, change out the ###### stubby spring and put a fatter hop nub in.

The hop chamber seems very tight as it is. Has anyone tried changing the barrel out for a prommy (useually bigger in outer diameter than a normal AEG barrel), and experienced any problems? Or has anyone swaped it for any other make, and maby found it easier to reinstall into the chamber?

It sure is tight. I had a Prommy TB in my 97 however and it didn't seem any tighter than the stock barrel. I retained the stock hop bucking.

I have a Madbull TB in my 97B and that's fine, too.

Sorry to hear you're selling the G2010. I had the same thing with the Tavor - it just didn't measure up to the T97 or 97B in terms of ergonomics or performance.

I didn't have to cut the tight bore down. It extends to about the start of the funnel, but not into it.

Groovy, thanks for the info.

Sadly Firesupport doesnt have the Madbull 363mm barrel in stock, any one else in the UK sell them?

They are so good OOTB that it's difficult to find excuses to tweak, eh?;)

All I've done is pop a tightbore in, change out the ###### stubby spring and put a fatter hop nub in.

In short, yes.

All I`ve done so far is put in a normal AEG spring and change the connectors to deans.

Might put in a tightbore and SCS nub in soon.