Real Sword Type 97

350 fps , can hit a man sized target , at 50 Mtrs can hit a 2x2 ft target with relative ease .

Has taken a good few magazines for the guarder clear hop to bed in properly . Was about to give up with it and then it settled and the range is awesome . Was picking of off other players at rift Airsoft site with ease . And out ranging most of them by at least 10 Mtrs . . At 300fps the range is marginally less but the accuracy is still exceptional . Is matching my tm aug phantom kitted psg1 barrelled , overbored aug for range . Which takes some doing ..

Put it up against a 400 fps vsr ( tm ) and range wise it equals it on .25 bbs

Edited by Baddbaz
  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure about the mags and rail issue, but in terms of upgrades, I normally shove in a Prommy tightbore, but I've found the most useful one is putting in a larger hop nub, as in my stock Type 97, I h

http://t97.ca/

Posted Images

350 fps , can hit a man sized target , at 50 Mtrs can hit a 2x2 ft target with relative ease .

Has taken a good few magazines for the guarder clear hop to bed in properly . Was about to give up with it and then it settled and the range is awesome . Was picking of off other players at rift Airsoft site with ease . And out ranging most of them by at least 10 Mtrs . . At 300fps the range is marginally less but the accuracy is still exceptional . Is matching my tm aug phantom kitted psg1 barrelled , overbored aug for range . Which takes some doing ..

Put it up against a 400 fps vsr ( tm ) and range wise it equals it on .25 bbs

Thanks for the info may try the guarder clear, can only shoot 290 fps do to the 1J law here. What kind of nub did you use?

Thanks again

ah nah it's preowned, but never opened. (previous owner only changed out the spring). I finally took a look at it and it seems the gears were shimmed too tightly (gears and motor itself were still in immaculate condition though. This gun is a beast). Reshimmed it and the gearbox is MUCH smoother. 

All you need to do is the handgrip internal mod . Cut away the thin shroud of plastic inside it and then it will take a 1300 7.4 lipo or an 1100 11.1 battery inside the grip .

No taking the gun apart for battery changes or using 800 mah lipos anymore .. Also give the barrel a good clean as real swords always have an oil residue in them .

I'm planning to have this Type 97 non-B silenced. Hopefully it won't look to ridiculous with a silencer.

But the main problem is silencing the gearbox, and I remember the Type 97 gearbox being a bit loud. 

I thought adding a custom airbreak piston head and perhaps a more quiet motor?

So yes, eh, suggestions for a relatively quiet motor please :).

for the airbreak I'll contact Lee Precision Engineering ;)

In my pinion, it might sound loud to you since the gearbox is right next to your head when your using it, but if your on the receiving end it shouldn't be that loud to be honest, but then again you can always do what people have done with the AUG and P90 which was to get sound dampening foam/materials and fit it/pad the area around the gearbox, that said i don't know how much space there is around the gearbox in the Type 97 since I don't have one so it might be an idea if there's enough space

Yeah I absolutely love my T97b (The reshimming helped substantially). My optics sit a little high on my rail (terrible for when you're trying to keep a low profile on the field), so I actually just use my sights instead. Fantastic range after sticking a 455mm tightbore in it as well. Just got a complete modern PLA loadout as well (god the FLC molle style vests were hard to source), so I'll see if I can get some pics up sometime.

With the range these guns have on them they won't hear you anyway .

There is not a lot of room to soundproof the 97 gearbox , most of the noise comes out if the foregrip vents so may be worth insulating there first .

The 97 looks good with a silencer , but becomes a bit unwieldy to use , the b version less so

The main difference is the set up on them both

97 is a high torque motor set up and the b variant has a high speed motor set up

Well, My plan is to take a T97, cut off and thread the barrel just in front of the gas block. There, I'll attach a silencer. I have to get rid of the bayonet attachment first though.

I might just order a T97b motor and gearset too, to increase my rate of fire on a 7,4V lipo.

The reason I mod it is because I LOVE the range/accuracy of the T97 but found it too long for CQB usability.

So why no T97, you ask? Well, I don't like the stubbiness and the front grip  :). I'll be having a nice in-between ^^.

CQB usability will be better, and with a spray, I could also use it to harrass players in a woodland area from a concealed position ;)

Ps. Due to financial shortage I'll be postponing this build though. If anyone else wants to use the idea, go right ahead ;)

Edited by Lone_Bullet

I've recently picked up a T97b myself but for some odd reason the integrated scope rail section within the carry handle seems a little off to the left so when I fit the picatinny rail attachment my optic doesn't line up correctly. =s

Any tips on how I can remedy this ? as haven't yet taken it all apart so I am not even sure how its attached to the receiver.

If the gun is new , take it back .

If second hand . Could be that the steel carry handle has been bent by dropping etc . Have to bend it back somehow as it is an integral part of the handle . Also make sure you are putting the picatiny rail on the right way round .

May be easier to bend it back to shape with the picatiny rail attached to the scope mount as at least you can get some twisting purchase into it ..

Have not personally had to do this myself , am just thinking of what I would try to do in this situation . A metal workshop may have some better ideas or way of straightening it out or bending it back .

If its a new gun definatly return it to them for replacement/ repairs

Edited by Baddbaz

Its second hand although near new but I don't think its been dropped or anything like that but its hard to tell if it isn't seated right or is actually warped slightly, regardless I've sorted it with a temporary fix of fitting a small flat piece of black plastic between the rail and carry handle which seems to have straightened the rail out a bit better.

Still I'll have to take it all down at some point and see if I can remedy it properly.

• 1 month later...

I'm also looking at buying a Type 97 or Type 97b.

Not sure which one, the Type 97 looks better, but I have the Tavor and find that I usually aim by using the 'pistol grip' with my forward hand. So the 97b would suit me better.

What are the main differences in terms of performance, range, precision, and handling?

The 97b has a high speed gearbox I understand? Does that translate just into a higher RoF, or also better trigger response?

Does the high torque gearbox of the Type 97 have any advantages (since I'm still FPS limited)?

Which do you prefer for outdoors skirms?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Edited by FooBear

The 97 b has a high speed motor and gears fitted whereas the 97 has a high torque motor . I prefer the 97 for woodland as I have the fps up to 350 which the motor pulls easily . Or very fast on 11.1 with an occasional overspin . The longer body and ergonomics make it the perfect counter sniper gun . Whereas the 97 b is more of a close up cqb gun with exeptional range . It is also a lot easier to fit a peq box , torch etc externally to the 97 due to the holes in the front foregrip which you can fix ris rails to if required .

Accuracy and range are very good on both variants with the 97 only just gaining a minuscule advantage on accuracy .

In use I would say the the 97 is more unwieldy to use once you get into urban environments whereas the 97b is faster to acquire targets with due to its closer sight line and shorter length .

Also if you decide to up the fps to dmr spec .. 370 + the high torque motor will pull the heavier spring strength with no problems at all . Mine came out of the box at 420 fps and it was a monster , hitting 70 / 80 Mtrs ( man size targets ) with no effort at all . Was a shame to have to downgrade it . But at 350 fps it can still accurately hit 60 Mtrs ( man size targets ) consistently on . 25 bbs

All in all an exceptionally well built gun with solid consistency between shots .

Edited by Baddbaz
  • 2 months later...

Update to my type 97 . Have managed to fit short ris rails to the foregrip to enable me to fit a torch and laser unit to the gun . Has massively improved its short range cqb usability . My gun is still running flawlessly with no fps drops or consistency problems . Has had 3and a half years regular skirmishing with no faults at all . Mightily impressed by the sheer quality of these guns .

Hi!

Well, about 3 years of playing with Type 97 and I've got the first real breakdown. 

We had a little skirmish two weeks ago and my AEG would jam. I used the spring release several times and it would go on shooting. And everything was OK.

Then, last Saturday I charged the battery and checked the gun.... It jammed completely. So I had to disassemle the GB.

And guess, what have I found??? The selector gear shaft has broken... Pity..... But, nevertheless, it had worked for some time with broken shaft)))))

So, I'll have that gear replaced.

And I have a question. What is the best shimming scheme for the Type 97? I want to assemble it myself))))