Basic Japanese kit and weapons guide

mikoyan99

Firstly, an apology to the CIA members; this is a direct copy of the one on CIA, to try and generate wider interest in the PTO.

The intention is to show how easily and cheaply a basic Japanese uniform can be to put together, as I feel this is the biggest obstacle in the way of a PTO game. It details the use of substitute, rather than replica equipment.

I hope you find the guide useful, please feel free to add your thoughts and comments.

-Matt

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jungle1.jpg

Basic Infantry Uniform:

Shirt: Any tan shirt will do; pleated pockets are a nice touch. A used post war French shirt should cost no more than £5.00, and would be perfect.

Trousers: Most light brown or khaki trousers will be fit for the purpose. Removing any side pockets will help. Trousers should be baggy if possible, and tied at the top with a strip of green or khaki cotton. Battledress, soviet M43 and M88 and SA Nutria Brown trousers are particularly suitable.

Web Equipment

Bread Bag: A P37 respirator bag on P37 shoulder strap works well in this role. As Japanese leather pouches are too small to hold SMG magazines, it is useful for carrying spare ammunition.

Water bottle: A P37 water bottle holder and canteen are suitable, suspended in the same fashion as the bread bag. It should be slung from the opposite shoulder to the bread bag, or worn around the neck in the centre of the chest.

Belt and Ammunition Pouches: A brown Sam Browne belt, with or without the shoulder strap works well. Three pouches should be worn, two on the front and one in the centre of the back. French leather ammunition pouches are cheap and in plentiful supply, and fit on the British pattern Sam Browne. Canvas P37 Bren pouches are highly suitable as subsitutes for Type 96 and 99 machine gun pouches. P37 shoulder straps should be worn in the normal way when using this setup (attached to the pouches) but crossed at the back. Some modification to the Sam Browne may be necessary to attach them at the back.

Headgear

Helmet: A British Mk.IV steel helmet is close in shape to the Japanese helmet. It should be sprayed matt brown, and it possible a small 5 pointed star should be welded to the front for an IJA helmet, or a small anchor for an SNLF helmet.

A net, or tan cover should be worn on the helmet. If netted, foliage from a fake plastic tree makes an ideal accesory and really helps to capture the Japanese "look"

Cap: The Japanese field cap has a very distinctive shape. I havn't seen a suitable substitute, so I recomend a replica or original cap to those people wishing to wear them.

The cap can be worn under the helmet for additional comfort.

Neck cloth: like the cap and the foliage on the helmet, the neck cloth is distinctive. I havn't seen a substitute, so I recomend making one or buying a replica. A simple flap of tan cloth will do, sewn into the back of the cap or left resting inside the helmet.

Accesories and Footwear

Puttees: Brown or khaki puttees should be worn. There are guides about on how to wear puttees in the Japnese style. Try to tie them from the top of the the boot to just below the knee. If the tapes are long enough they should be tied in a "X" across the front.

Gaiters: WW2 era gaiters may be worn in place of the puttees.

Boots: Brown or black lace up leather boots should be worn. Ankle high boots are ideal, but high leg boots may be worn of covered by puttees.

"Tabi": Tabi are split toe Japanese plimsoles, often worn in tropical areas. Replica tabi are available online (ebay is a good source), or black plimsoles or converse make good substitutes. Should be worn with puttees.

Rank Badges: Even privates wore some for of rank insignia. Replicas can be found online, and should be worn either over the left pocket or on the collar. Making the rank badges is very easy - for a private it is just a rectangle of red felt.

Weaponry

Please see the Japanese weapons guide for details of Japanese airsoft weapons:

http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/php/phpBB2/vi...=120&t=8652

Basic Mechanics Uniform

Even cheaper than the uniform listed above, to allow PTO uniforms on a tiny budget. It's represenative of a tank crewman, mechanic or technician caught up in combat (which would have happened all too often of course).

ki61color224df.jpg

Needed:

Khaki or tan overalls, suitably covered in engine oil.

Japanese cap

Tan or leather belt

Boots

Mitsubishi A6M2 (early war) or A6M5 (late war).

(yes I know it's a Ki-61 "Tony"!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weapon Guide

Hopefully the lists will prove useful, both for Japanese players and those allied players who wish to use "captured" Japanese weapons. I've used Ian Hogg's "Infantry Weapons of WW2" as a reference.

Please feel free to add links to airsoft suppliers of the weapons and any corrections below.

The original source (and therefore copyright status) of many of the pictures is unknown; if you posses the copyright to any of them, and would like them removed, please get in touch and I will do so immediately.

The list is for historical and re-enactment purposes only and is completely non-profit.

Cheers,

-Matt

-------------------------------------------------------------

Pistols

Browning M1910 (7.65)

fn-browning-m1910-1.jpg

Used by: Navy/SNLF

Airsoft version available: No

Nearest substitute: Browning Hi-power

Hamada 7.65

Used by: Navy/SNLF

Airsoft version available; No

Nearest substitute: Chrome Colt m1911, small automatic pistols.

Meiji 26 Revolver

model26.jpg

Used by: reservists, home defence units, some NCO’s in the pacific.

Nearest substitute: Small airsoft revolvers.

Taisho 04 (Nambu)

nambu04.jpg

Used by: No-one officially, bought privately by officers.

Nearest substitutes: Luger, ruger, Marushin Type 14 nambu.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...nceSearchResult

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=25444

Taisho 14 (Nambu)

mlp_0373-01.JPG

Used by: No-one officially, bought privately by officers.

Airsoft version available: Yes

Nearest substitutes: Luger, ruger,

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=25444

Type 94

Type%2094%201.jpg

Used by: Air Force, occasional use by infantry.

Nearest substitutes: Cz75, P38; WW2 automatic pistols.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=20704

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=14582

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rifles

Arisaka 38

ArisakaType38.jpg

Used by: Everyone

Nearest Substitutes: any internal magazine mauser based rifle.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=23792

Arisaka 99

Arisaka_Type_99_v2.jpg

Used by: Everyone

Nearest Substitutes: any internal magazine mauser based rifle.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=22741

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As neither of the Japanese Smg’s are currently being made in airsoft versions, I suggest the use of captured weapons in this role.

http://www3.plala.or.jp/takihome/smg.htm

Sub-Machine guns

Type 100/40 and Type 100/44 (Nambu Type III B Machine pistol)

type100-3_store2_0902_df4.jpg

Used by: paratroopers, infantry later in the war.

Type 100/40 - 450 rpm

Type 100/44 - 800 rpm. No bayonet bar.

Nearest substitutes: Sten.

Sten to Type-100 conversion guide:

[link]http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/php/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9471[/link]

Bergmann "Type BE" SMG (7.63 Mauser, MP.34/I and MP18)

MP18I.jpg

Used by: Special Naval Landing Forces (marines)

Nearest substitute: Sten

Type II Machine Pistol

0001001g.jpg

Used by: Army, Navy, not in great numbers

Nearest substitute: Heavily modified Uzi, MP7, sten or Mac10/11

Type II Model B

type2smg27.jpg

(Top one, bottom is the modern Uzi smg)

Use by: Prototype. Unknown if it ever saw combat

Nearest substitute: PPSh.

(Images for above two weapons from here:

(http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?43327-pictures-of-prototype-sub-gun-Type-II-A)

I had to re-upload due to technical difficulties)

Beretta Model 1938

MI3844A-2.jpg

(top weapon)

Use by: SNLF

Nearest substitute: M14 with Uzi mag, PPSh.

Steyr Solothurn S1-100

300px-Steyr-Solothurn_S1-100.jpg

Used by: SNLF. Unknown if army used it.

Nearest subsitute: Modded M14, PPsh, Sten etc.

The only Japanese Mg available is the KTW type 96. For serious Japanese skirmishers, I suggest heavily modding A&K Minimi’s.

Machine guns

Taisho 11

t11lmgleft.jpg

Used by: Everyone, early war.

Nearest substitute: VFC BAR, airsharp browning M1919A6, RPK, ACM "Dragunov".

Type 92

600px-SNAFUType92-1.jpg

Used by: everyone

Nearest substitute: Mini MK.1, airsharp browning M1919

Type 96

type96_bayo1.jpg

Airsoft version available: Yes, made by KTW.

Nearest substitutes: Shoot n’ scoot Bren

http://www.tokyo-model.com.hk/ecshop/goods.php?id=4851

Type 99

Type99LMG.jpg

Very similar to type 96. Bren type flash suppressor, shorter gas tube.

Type 1 Heavy Machine Gun (Updated type 92)

Type_92.jpg

Used by: All infantry

Nearest substitute: Converted FN MAG, Mini, M60

ZB Type LMG (used in both 7.92mm [straight mags] and 6.5mm [curved type 96 mags])

typechi.JPG

Users: Produced in china (manchukou), used by army and navy.

Airsoft version available: kind of

Nearest subsitute: Bren gun.

Other infantry weapons of note

Type 89 mortar ("Knee mortar")

Japanese_Type_89_grenade_discharger.gif

Used by: all ground forces

Airsoft version avialable: Yes

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=21060

Type 97 (20mm anti tank rifle. Semi auto, could be fired full auto in an emergency!)

hb-209.gif

Used by: Infantry

Nearest substitute: None.

Type 97 Sniper Rifle

ArisakaType97SniperRifle.jpg

Used by: Unknown, presumably all army/navy infantry units.

Nearest substitute: Tanaka Type 99 or 38 with turned down bolt and telescopic sight.

Type 2 Paratrooper Rifle

dsc03801edited.jpg

Used by: paratroopers

Nearest substitute: Tanaka Type 99

http://www.texastradingpost.com/militaria/type2.html

Type 5 Automatic rifle (7.7mm M1 garand clone, magazine rather than clip fed)

T5Rifle.jpg

Used by: Prototype.

Airsoft version available: Kind of

Nearest substitute: Garand, M14.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Use of Captured Weapons

The Japanese were prolific users of captured guns during the war. After the seizure of large amounts of rifles and equipment from the Chinese, Dutch and British, the equipment was put into service.

Semi-automatic rifles and submachine guns were most popular, especially Thompson M1928's captured from the Chinese, and M1 garands captured from the Americans but everything was put into service.

So impressed were the Japanese with the M1 garand, a clone was made towards the end of the war and put into production.

Basically, if the kit was in the area, it's OK to use it it with Japanese kit.

Very nice guide, this should help a lot of people doing a "budget" Japanese impression. :)

You should maybe point out that this is mainly an IJA guide as SNLF uniforms and gear are a bit different.

For anyone interested in taking it one step further check ebay. There are very nice repros available from Chinese

sellers at good prices (mostly Nakata copies).

Thankyou, and good point about the SNLF - it was in the original guide but I managed to delete it when I transferred it over!

To reiterate then, the guide is for an IJA soldier stationed in the tropics. It's not definitive, many different uniforms were worn (I can think of at least 2 tropical patterns to start with).

For the IJA, there wasn't really an "early war" or " late war" uniform - most patterns were in service at much the same time throughout the war due to shortages (IIRC anyway, and in general; I think some bits of webbing etc were introduced later, like rubberised pouches)

I won't go into masses of detail, but his was the basic SNLF uniform:

soldier-jap-snlf_lander.jpg

And another pattern of IJA uniform

Imperial%20Japanese.jpg

Early (30's)/China pattern uniform:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...DN%26start%3D20

cheers,

-Matt

There is (or was) a browning 1910 made by marushin. Was an NBB but performed decently apparently, I imagine it's pretty difficult to track down these days mind (curse you marushin for not producing your cheap NBB range anymore!!!) here's a review on just pistols, http://www.justpistols.co.uk/wege_m1910review.htm

• 2 months later...

There ARE airsoft versions of the Type 100 SMG. Super rare though...

More interesting would be a modern JSDF kit, since the TM/BE Type 89 is a REALLY good rifle, super accurate (as much as an M14 they say) and still AR-like (can use AR mags).

Have you got nay details? The only replica i've seen at all is the CAW versions, and they're model guns (although they would make a good start).

As for modern Japanese kit, it may be missing the point slightly in a WW2 Pacific game.

-Matt

• 1 month later...

Always interested to see some of the old japanese kit showing its face again... dont forget the type 44 cavalry carbine (inprovement of the type 38 cavalry carbine, but the former seeing more service in ww2). a much shorter rifle than the type 38, far better suited to the jungle fighting which japan found itself engaged in.

It wasnt produced in any great number (with the decline of cavalry use, there was little need to produce any more), but there would be the odd one here and there.

3551798267_2f9b25855e.jpg?v=0

Airsoft version availible: No

Nearest substitute: Heavily modded K98, Heavily modded BAR10

Tanaka cap firing version (not airsoft)

type44_carbine_replica_modelgun_wwii_0912_c63.jpg

Another piece of kit to consider:

The type 92 machine gun, mostly employed in the early war as a tailgun on japanese dive and torpedo bombers. It did however, appear in some numbers in an infantry configuration.

It is basically a lewis gun, which the japanese adopted, removing the charecteristic barrel shroud (for the aircraft version only) and converting it to the 7.7 japanese cartridge.

Any europian theatre ww2 airsofters considering making a lewis gun for their Allied loadout could easily transfer it into the pacific theatre.

I havent seen any type 92's that have the conventional full stock like the standard infantry lewis gun.

Navy_Type_92_flexible.JPG

Used by: Everyone, early war

Airsoft version availible: No

Nearest substitute: m249 modded (or, to quote jimbothepainter: an m14 with a filter from a fiat panda fixed on top, with a PVC barrel shroud)

japanese-lewis-machine-gun.jpg

• 5 months later...

There ARE airsoft versions of the Type 100 SMG. Super rare though...

More interesting would be a modern JSDF kit, since the TM/BE Type 89 is a REALLY good rifle, super accurate (as much as an M14 they say) and still AR-like (can use AR mags).

I have a BE type 89 and I have to say that I have tried a m16 mag in it and it did not fit very well, this is beacause on it the bit whwere the bbs come out is not raised, as you would see straight through the gun other wise because of the hole in the magwell.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived