SocomGear M9A1

DSC01148.jpg
DSC01150.jpg

Manufacturers:
-As for the M92 line, almost every Gas Blow Back company makes one. Tokyo Marui, Western Arms, KSC/KWA, KWC (if you count the Taurus), Tanaka, Bell,
HFC, KJW, and WE-Tech/SocomGear.

Background History
-SocomGear is a Taiwanese company that seems to be made from the same Original Equipment Manufacturer as WE-Tech. My bet is that it's based on the
same specifications as WE M92s, with a few minor tweaks to design, like the thread adapter and a few other subtle differences. I am not entirely sure, but
the slide on my SocomGear M92 feels a little bit lighter, and less sluggy than teh WE-tech slides. That is in comparison with older gen WE M92s, as I recall.

DSC01162.jpg

Model:
-M9A1

Specifications:
-Magazine holds 25+1 rounds
-The gun shoots ~350FPS
-Features a rail on the frame
-Full metal body
-Rubberized grips
-Features a lanyard loop

DSC01149.jpg

Accessories needed to run:
-Green Gas
-Silicon Lube

Cost and place of purchase:
-I purchased this M9A1 at AirSoft Smith, for $150+tax

Intro/First Impressions:
-There's a long story behind this particular purchase. I took a trip to my local airsoft shop (well, as local as one and half hour away can be considered) to buy
Pantac CIRAS, and saw this little beauty. After playing around with it a bit, I bought the second to last one and was having fun with it in no time. By the end
of the day, I left the store $540 or so poorer, due to the fact that I also bought a propane adapter to run my new M203 shells. Seeing as how this was an
impulse buy, I'm sure you guys know my enthusiasm in regards to this gun.

Looks:
-The gun comes with a thread adapter, that allows you to attach your included GemTech licensed suppressor. Sadly, the included suppressor is mock, and is
not easily modified to have foam fit in it.
-If you want to have a cleaner looking gun without a suppressor, you can take the thread adapter off. It is a standard right hand threading. When it comes
from the manufacturer however, it is glued in, so you have to soak your new barrel into boiling water for a few minutes, then take off the adapter.
-This gun looks absolutely amazing, it also runs quite nicely. Although I wish that the trademarks were typical Beretta trademarks, but the SocomGear
trademarks do a good job of filling empty spaces (gigity gig)

DSC01151.jpg
DSC01153.jpg
DSC01154.jpg
DSC01156.jpg
DSC01155.jpg
DSC01157.jpg
Metal Parts:

-The entire gun, save for the grips and obvious parts, is metal. The lower frame, the slide, the barrel, the internals, it is all metal, and quite hefty.

Features:

-Thread adapter

-Rubberized grips

-Railed frame

-Tan Color

-Lanyard Loop

-Ambidextrous safety

-Full metal frame

-Free GemTech suppressor, with 9mm trademarks

DSC01158.jpg

Magazine:

-Holds 25+1 BBs

-Accepts WE mags

-Can easily go through a full on one fill of gas

DSC01159.jpg

DSC01161.jpg

DSC01160.jpg

Firing:

-Firing this thing is absolutely amazing. It doesn't waste it's time with flashy doo-dads, or fancy loading systems. You just simply feel a nice, crisp, and very

exciting "snap" everytime you shoot. It cycles quite quickly for a metal slide and barrel pistol, but then again, for what I paid, I expected this.

-Shoots around 350FPS, tested with the in-store chronograph.

-Recoils very quickly

-Has a double action trigger on the first trigger pull

Accuracy:

-This thing is quite accurate for a Gas Blow Back.

-I was able to hit a man sized target (A 22 year old male friend in fact :a-laugh:) from a fair distance by estimation, 30ft very easily.

-The accuracy is more than sufficient for it's intended purpose for CQB.

Conclusion:

-This gun is definitely worth the cost, accepts WE magazines, runs clean, and is an absolute delight to fire. It takes second thus far only to one gun, and that's

my KWA M93R. The best thing about this gun is that holsters should be easy to find, and decently cheap, in comparison to my beloved M93R.

-The gun looks astounding, almost everyone that I have shown this gun to loves it. The only exception has been one person, and he quite literally complains

about everything...I kid you not. This is the same person that complained about me slowing down to overtake someone in traffic, then complained next day

about me speeding up to take over someone...he either loves being a PITA, or just loves complaining THAT much. Pure insanity. Everyone else however,

loves it!

-Go try one in a store for yourself, pictures do not do the gun justice...but here's some more pics anyways!

DSC01164.jpg

DSC01165.jpg

DSC01166.jpg

Videos will be posted below! ^_^

Same here, in fact, I hate M9's. But you did make a fairly good review of it enough for me to want one if but for a short while. As for the suppressor, I'm not sure about your local laws about foam filled ones (afaik its not allowed but check to be sure) but as you said it's hard to open the supplied Gemtech, you can get a can of expanding foam that comes in spray cans. Fill the insides and ram a dowel covered in cello tape through it. When the foam is dry or nearly dry, pull out the dowel and let it cure some more before use. You'd find that suppressors do little on GBBs as most of the noise comes from the slide, but any amount of noise reduction helps.

Edited by renegadecow

nice review.

i just sold my old KJW m9 to a friend, and if i had a more suitable holster , this would definetly be my first choice. i've got a safariland for the m9 without the rail <_< so this would not fit. i'm probably gonna get this instead:

http://socomgear.com/english/index.php?mai...;products_id=34

to bad it doesnt come with a silencer or in desert tan.

Edited by TeowneD

No paint has come off yet, except on the magazine, from me removing and inserting the magazine over and over again. The gun's body paint is pretty good, but you can tell that they did it cheaply, because only the outside is painted, if you look inside the magwell, the gun's not really painted far in. I also have a little extra speckle of paint by my faux trigger pin. It's not a big deal, as I just left it and it's REALLY small, but it's worth mentioning I suppose.

Haha, it worked well thus far, it'll be fielded in March probably. I do have one formal complaint for SOCOMGEAR...While they do a good job of replying to any other email, they do not reply to my requests for parts. Seems like they're dodging it if you ask me, which is fishy.

I got mine today... omg crisp blow back as hell :ph34r: ...will test it in cold weather next wednsday and at the mall in reading next sunday, stay tuned! :lol:
Haha, I was quote amazed as well, as I was told that this is a WE base gun, that a company upped. The blowback on it is really nice. Now is the test of durability.

Sorry for the double post, as I have lost the ability to edit my previous post. I was wondering if any of you fine people know where I can buy a spare thread adapter, I took mine off to refinish it, then accidentally left the bit in "Aluminum black" for too long, so the threads died off on me...as I said, I emailed SG directly, to no avail.

Sorry for the double post, as I have lost the ability to edit my previous post. I was wondering if any of you fine people know where I can buy a spare thread adapter, I took mine off to refinish it, then accidentally left the bit in "Aluminum black" for too long, so the threads died off on me...as I said, I emailed SG directly, to no avail.

tb h if i had a milling machine id make one for free, alas :'( i don't .. hmm evike maybe? they seem to have loads of extra spare parts just call them.. instead of wasting time surfing :)

Haha, no jams yet, I'm sure you just have to break it in a little. I was always under the impression that this had a fixed hop-up, like the TM M92.

so far from testing 30 mags, this gun seems to prefere double taps and rapid firing as opposed to single shots... yet again will have to break it in even more... getting the gun is one thing, getting use to it is another XD

• 2 months later...

Update! I've completely forgotten about updating my reviews here for a while. I've since gotten a Safariland 6004 for my M9, with the M3 unit attached. I've also played with this gun in the snow, while it did struggle (goes weak full auto) it still worked, got kills, and did its job. As far as the holster, enjoy the new eye candy, as far as a video of it shooting...we're supposed to have a few warm days coming up soon.

DSC01194.jpg

DSC01196.jpg

DSC01197.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have one of these guns for a few months and its been great. BUT, the damn mags need cleaning of the input valve b/c it leaks from time to time and you need to take it out clean the threading and lubricate that valve. ALSO, the paint chips off so easily. My gun shoots damn well with a little adjustment of the hop and with .23g BBs.

Now what I've run into, my hop-up bucking has ripped and WE AND SOCOM has turned me down saying there are no replacements. WTF!!!!

If anyone finds out where to get the stuff, please LMK!! Other than the non replaceable bucking the gun shoots great and super crisp shot.