PMAG: Star vs. PTS vs. Bigdad's

This is a review of the following:

---Bigdad's Custom PMAG (Airsoft-Barracks.com member - pm him to buy)

---STAR PMAG

---Magpul PTS PMAG

(Includes side-by-side with real steel Magpul PMAG)

Before you read this, I only have a Classic Army and KWA M4, so I can't say much for TM, ACM, etc. although CA and TM size are close to identical.

dscn0549w.jpg

dscn0550j.jpg

***As far as the side-by-side with the Real Steel PMAG, they are all shorter because the hop-up is lower than the bolt carrier in a real M4/M16. Bigdad's is the closest to the real thing because I believe he may have used a real shell

Bigdad's PMAG 9/10 (modification required)

Pros

Best externals - with eyes closed can't tell difference between real-steel and this one

Accurate trademarks

Fake 5.56 rounds in the mag

Feeds just fine

Good Price (Bigdad sold to me for $10 each when I bought 10 mags)

The_Gentleman - "Also worth noting: it appears that the outer shells of the PTS and Bigdad's are easily removable. It does not appear to be the case with the STAR (correct me if I am wrong"

Cons

DOES NOT FIT IN CLASSIC ARMY OR KWA M4's OUT OF THE BOX

***If the magazine actually fit and fed into an airsoft gun it would be a 10/10, might need to dremel for this one.

Magpul PTS PMAG 7/10 (modification required for some AEG's)

Pros

Fits in Classic Army M4

2nd best externals - with eyes closed can barely tell difference between real-steel

Accurate trademarks

Feeds 100% on semi and auto (only in CA M4)

The_Gentleman - "Also worth noting: it appears that the outer shells of the PTS and Bigdad's are easily removable. It does not appear to be the case with the STAR (correct me if I am wrong"

Cons

DOES NOT FIT IN KWA OUT OF THE BOX- modification required

Very Expensive

***Originally tested this for use with my KWA M4 - may have to see if a dremel fixes the problem but not worth the price until a bulk package is available

Star PMAG 7/10

Pros

Fits in Classic Army and KWA M4's

Feeds virtually perfectly in both brands

Good price

Cons

Externals too shiny and slightly different from real-steel PMAG

May be subject to breakage in time

Dark Earth color is on the darker side if that matters

***Only mag available in a bulk package of 10 - all other mags are individually purchased

WHY DON'T THE MAGS FIT??????

The very top nub on either side of the PMAG does not exist on the STAR version, and it seems this is why the other mags have trouble seating or even entering the magwell at all. This is what I need to dremel I think.

Edit- as for fitting in the KWA a bit of sanding needs done on the backside lip as well but eventually it will fit!

dscn0551w.jpg

FOR FITTING A BIGDAD'S PMAG IN A KWA

dscn0559gc.jpg

If you don't like the review scores I'm basing them on "out-of-the-box" score so HAH

bigdad's main market is actually on ASF - you can find him there too.

As for bigdad's PMAG's, I noticed even for a TM and STAR receiver it's a very bad fit. You'll have to grind off the 4 tabs up front then the 2 in the back.

Any reports on feeding/shooting? I want to see how the 3 match up on that.

bigdad's main market is actually on ASF - you can find him there too.

As for bigdad's PMAG's, I noticed even for a TM and STAR receiver it's a very bad fit. You'll have to grind off the 4 tabs up front then the 2 in the back.

Any reports on feeding/shooting? I want to see how the 3 match up on that.

Yes I have told him about this and although he claims to be a low-ranking employee he is trying to let them know that everyone is having to modify them to fit their guns, and that these would sell alot better if they were ready out-of-the box

Ive talked to a few people who used STAR and PTS and said the STAR ones where horrible compared to PTS.

Star and PTS the same score? I disagree. I think my PTS ones where worth ever penny I payed, I'm sure other owners will agree.

Honestly I based that score off the price - the RS PMAGS cost nearly half as much, which is almost laughable.

Honestly I based that score off the price - the RS PMAGS cost nearly half as much, which is almost laughable.

On the other hand real mags are somewhat simpler in design and PTS will probably have to pay something to MAGPUL to use the name on top of the R&D and manufacture costs. Whilst they are expensive, they are easier to get and/or better made than the alternatives.

You haven't mentioned the capacity either.

You mean the fact that although the ACM PMAGs are sold as 120 rounders they're more like 80 rounders, vs PTS's PMAGs which are true 120 rounders?

Or how's about the fact that the PTS PMAGs fit most guns without modification, whereas the ACM PMAGs only fit a small handful of guns without modification.

• 3 weeks later...

The fit and finish on my PTS Pmags are really nice and fit most of my guns except for a Guarder-bodied M4. Has anyone found that the springs inside are a bit weak? I left a couple loaded for 2 days and when i went to unload them, the remaining bbs sort of dribbled out. I fear this may cause misfeeding issues.

My friend's PTS had hte same issue, but it was only the last 2 BB's that didn't feed.

If you ever open a PTS Pmag, you will notice that a section at the beginning of the feed tube is narrower when compared to the rest, thus 2-3 BBs would not feed at the end. I don't know if that was an intended doing or not.

Edited by Reincarnation...
Or how's about the fact that the PTS PMAGs fit most guns without modification, whereas the ACM PMAGs only fit a small handful of guns without modification.

I thought it was the other way around? Anyways, my G&G SCAR's magwell is pretty loose is design, so I ordered a STAR PMAG just for the fun of it, and hoping that it will work. :D

I am looking to buying a couple of the Fake Magpul PMAGS from "bigdad" over at ASF.

Can anyone comment on their fit with VFC SR15's? Any mods required?

Thanks

-Shin

They fit fine. I have found them not to feed as well over time though. The springs my not be up to the task. <_<