Maruzen APS Type 96

APS type 96 Maruzen

Real steel :

ae.jpg

Caliber: Variable, 7.62mm NATO is used in the variant approching the most the replica.

Reloading : Bolt action, manual

Barrel lenght : 610 mm

Weight : 6 kg naked

Lenght : 1120 mm

Magazines : 5 or 8 shots

The original rifle is the Arctic Warfare from Accuracy International, the variant copied for the replica is the AE (by it's color and details).

It was created for police needs, smaller than military ones, in stamina to extreme weather or in range (600 meters against more than 1000 for the AWs).

The rifle is aluminium and polymer made (steel bolt).

No sights, but a standard rail on the bolt.

Video games, movies : How to avoid talking about counter strike ? This famous rifle able to kill with a bullet in the feet ! This rifle is well known in movies too.

Airsoft : The APS96 is an evolution of the APS2 technicaly, because the base is the same (even if a small number of parts are really compatible), plus some ameliorations.

There are two new indicators on the rifle, one showing that the bolt is armed (at the rear of the cylinder), and an other to show that magazine is empty (at the left side of the barrel).

Caliber : 6mm BB

Magazine capacity : 30 +1

Feeding and shooting : Bolt action

Weight : 3,4 kg

Lenght : 1150mm

Inner barrel lenght : 500mm

Stock power : 270fps with 0.20g

Differences from real steel : No apparent because of rifle system, Sadly they didn't put a dummy one.

In the box :

boite96.jpg

The replica is sold in a simple carton box with a piece of polystyren to avoid movment. Not really enough to safely trip.

On the box the accent is on the new things on the rifle and on it's precision (APS is the abbreviation for Airsoft Precision Shooting, created by japaneses for sporting evenements).

There are the japanese manual, quick reloading tool, bb's evacuation tool and the keys to open or set the rifle.

Look and ergonomy : The APS96 is big and heavy (not so heavy in front of an equiped AEG).

The rifle is huge and have an ergonomic stock, which gives it a more aggressive look than "simplier" bolts at this point.

There is no particular work on paint, it's paint it black and mat.

The natural alteration gives a nice effect on the body color.

On the barrel and other metal pieces paint is light, so avoid walls and trees, or buy a paint spray...

Left side marks :

DSCN2568.JPG

There is no sight on this replica, the barrel is straight.

Aiming needs a scope to put on the stock rail.

The security is classical, on the right side of the cylinder, a red dot shows the on position. It can be pulled the bolt armed or not.

The magazine is released by a lever at the front of it, the magazine jumps of it's place by a spring effect (even the replica on the other side).

Feeding : Magazines are steel made and are black, they accept 30 bbs. It's particular because it's higher plastic half locks in the lower metal part while loading or firing. This is this particularity that makes the spring effect when ejecting it.

Shooting : It feels like a springer of our childhood :

-Silent reloading

-Metallic spring noise when shooting (The more you upgrade, the more the noise is metallic).

-No recoil

The replica is loaded by lifting the grip, drawing it backwards, pushing it in place again and putting it down.

The movement can be jerked by little pieces that blocks everystep, removing fluidity to the movement if it's not done frankly.

Putting the cylinder back in place allows the nozzle to catch a bb and to place it in front of the inner barrel.

The spring installed changes the difficulty of the reloading, but be aware that the trigger is way to sensible ! Do not apply the regular sniping technic of slowly pushing it or you'll see a bb flying away before wanting it. A trigger zero can solve the problem, but it's way expensive sadly.

The hopup is set by a little screw near the magazine trap and is turned with a key. No need to remove anything to set it up, but the use of the key is not really nice.

It's not very efficient on heavy bbs and fears vibrations, it must be setup often.

The hopup block from PDI gives a better effect on heavy bbs, but have the same problem about vibrations. A lot of players are searching a way to block it.

The trigger is two part made, first we get back the first trigger and then we shoot.

In front of the trigger is the cylinder stopper, that allows, once removed, the removal of the cylinder. It needs the removal of the cheek piece, so many players rather remove the stock, to avoid touching setups.

The replica is easy to dismount (see lower) because there are only two screws to unscrew with a key (the screws remains in body, no way to lose them), and to separate the stock from the rest.

DSCN2559.JPG

The outer barrel can be unscrewed from the bolt.

Shooting: This rifle is easy to aim with, because of it's ergonomic stock and it's large front end, squared.

Once the cheek piece set up, aiming is instinctive.

The scope can be low mounted because the grip is not getting very high while reloading, even with a zoom ring.

I couldn't test stock shooting, but it's known that it's power can't allow shooting precisely, far and nor with heavy bbs

Incidents :

The only problem i had was in the fact that the magazine used to eject a little while firing, a piece of chatterton on the back of it solved the problem.

Upgrading : Two main brands shares the market PDI and Laylax (First Factory).

Basic upgrading consists in just changing the spring, but this can be dangerous for the other parts of the rifle.

A minimum is the best to get full elements.

i.e. : Teflon cylinder, cylinder head, multi element piston, piston head, spring guide.

After this reinforced parts are needed for big upgrades.

For range and accuracy, remains the hopup block, with a accuracy inner barrel, the trigger zero, barrel spacers (to avoid inner barrel to move in the replica), and so on...

Here is the PDI page of parts for APS 96. The new fluted barrel is attractive :)

Accessories : Nobody will put too much things on it, but different things can be a plus for playing confort.

A good scope is a must, bipods are available.

Most players bought a flash hider or a silencer and use a longer inner barrel.

Conclusion

By it's size and mecanism, this replica is for snipers only (not surprising), no way to jump and crouch around with a quick aim like in counter strike :)

Advantages:

-Massive look

-Confort mainly because of it's ergonomic stock

-Relative stamina, easy to use and to take care of

-Accuracy once upgraded

Drawbacks:

-Low reloading time

-CLANG sound

-Too sensible trigger

-Stock Hop up

-Expensive to get and upgrade

This rifle is heavyier and bigger than it's brothers, but it's stability and confort will bring only pleasure to the fellow snipers.

Dismount :

Here is a marvelous french photo post of Ghost Sniper concerning dismount

No stock test :(

With full laylax upgrade, pdi hopup and prometheus barrel you can shoot on a 30cm large target at 50-60 meters with near perfect accuracy :)

I'm around 440-460 fps with 0.20 (legal in france)

I had one and spent £700+ on it and it was never as accurate as a £200 G spec, many others have had similar results, the hop up is a pile of junk and the aftermarket ones arent much better. If you really want an L96 then go for it but there are far better performing springer rifles on the market.

My next project is to make an L96 stock to fit a VSR action, best of both worlds IMHO :)

Well, we don't have problem in our team with ours aps ;)

For the PDI hop up, as there is a new version, maybe they solved the problem of vibration sensibility.

But this launcher just rocks !

• 4 years later...
APS type 96 Maruzen

Real steel :

ae.jpg

Caliber: Variable, 7.62mm NATO is used in the variant approching the most the replica.

Reloading : Bolt action, manual

Barrel lenght : 610 mm

Weight : 6 kg naked

Lenght : 1120 mm

Magazines : 5 or 8 shots

The original rifle is the Arctic Warfare from Accuracy International, the variant copied for the replica is the AE (by it's color and details).

It was created for police needs, smaller than military ones, in stamina to extreme weather or in range (600 meters against more than 1000 for the AWs).

These airsoft sniper rifles are aluminium and polymer made (steel bolt).

No sights, but a standard rail on the bolt.

Video games, movies : How to avoid talking about counter strike ? This famous rifle able to kill with a bullet in the feet ! This rifle is well known in movies too.

Airsoft : The APS96 is an evolution of the APS2 technicaly, because the base is the same (even if a small number of parts are really compatible), plus some ameliorations.

There are two new indicators on the rifle, one showing that the bolt is armed (at the rear of the cylinder), and an other to show that magazine is empty (at the left side of the barrel).

Caliber : 6mm BB

Magazine capacity : 30 +1

Feeding and shooting : Bolt action

Weight : 3,4 kg

Lenght : 1150mm

Inner barrel lenght : 500mm

Stock power : 270fps with 0.20g

Differences from real steel : No apparent because of rifle system, Sadly they didn't put a dummy one.

In the box :

boite96.jpg

The replica is sold in a simple carton box with a piece of polystyren to avoid movment. Not really enough to safely trip.

On the box the accent is on the new things on the rifle and on it's precision (APS is the abbreviation for Airsoft Precision Shooting, created by japaneses for sporting evenements).

There are the japanese manual, quick reloading tool, bb's evacuation tool and the keys to open or set the rifle.

Look and ergonomy : The APS96 is big and heavy (not so heavy in front of an equiped AEG).

The rifle is huge and have an ergonomic stock, which gives it a more aggressive look than "simplier" bolts at this point.

There is no particular work on paint, it's paint it black and mat.

The natural alteration gives a nice effect on the body color.

On the barrel and other metal pieces paint is light, so avoid walls and trees, or buy a paint spray...

Left side marks :

DSCN2568.JPG

There is no sight on this replica, the barrel is straight.

Aiming needs a scope to put on the stock rail.

The security is classical, on the right side of the cylinder, a red dot shows the on position. It can be pulled the bolt armed or not.

The magazine is released by a lever at the front of it, the magazine jumps of it's place by a spring effect (even the replica on the other side).

Feeding : Magazines are steel made and are black, they accept 30 bbs. It's particular because it's higher plastic half locks in the lower metal part while loading or firing. This is this particularity that makes the spring effect when ejecting it.

Shooting : It feels like a springer of our childhood :

-Silent reloading

-Metallic spring noise when shooting (The more you upgrade, the more the noise is metallic).

-No recoil

The replica is loaded by lifting the grip, drawing it backwards, pushing it in place again and putting it down.

The movement can be jerked by little pieces that blocks everystep, removing fluidity to the movement if it's not done frankly.

Putting the cylinder back in place allows the nozzle to catch a bb and to place it in front of the inner barrel.

The spring installed changes the difficulty of the reloading, but be aware that the trigger is way to sensible ! Do not apply the regular sniping technic of slowly pushing it or you'll see a bb flying away before wanting it. A trigger zero can solve the problem, but it's way expensive sadly.

The hopup is set by a little screw near the magazine trap and is turned with a key. No need to remove anything to set it up, but the use of the key is not really nice.

It's not very efficient on heavy bbs and fears vibrations, it must be setup often.

The hopup block from PDI gives a better effect on heavy bbs, but have the same problem about vibrations. A lot of players are searching a way to block it.

The trigger is two part made, first we get back the first trigger and then we shoot.

In front of the trigger is the cylinder stopper, that allows, once removed, the removal of the cylinder. It needs the removal of the cheek piece, so many players rather remove the stock, to avoid touching setups.

The replica is easy to dismount (see lower) because there are only two screws to unscrew with a key (the screws remains in body, no way to lose them), and to separate the stock from the rest.

DSCN2559.JPG

The outer barrel can be unscrewed from the bolt.

Shooting: This rifle is easy to aim with, because of it's ergonomic stock and it's large front end, squared.

Once the cheek piece set up, aiming is instinctive.

The scope can be low mounted because the grip is not getting very high while reloading, even with a zoom ring.

I couldn't test stock shooting, but it's known that it's power can't allow shooting precisely, far and nor with heavy bbs

Incidents :

The only problem i had was in the fact that the magazine used to eject a little while firing, a piece of chatterton on the back of it solved the problem.

Upgrading : Two main brands shares the market PDI and Laylax (First Factory).

Basic upgrading consists in just changing the spring, but this can be dangerous for the other parts of the rifle.

A minimum is the best to get full elements.

i.e. : Teflon cylinder, cylinder head, multi element piston, piston head, spring guide.

After this reinforced parts are needed for big upgrades.

For range and accuracy, remains the hopup block, with a accuracy inner barrel, the trigger zero, barrel spacers (to avoid inner barrel to move in the replica), and so on...

Here is the PDI page of parts for APS 96. The new fluted barrel is attractive :)

Accessories : Nobody will put too much things on it, but different things can be a plus for playing confort.

A good scope is a must, bipods are available.

Most players bought a flash hider or a silencer and use a longer inner barrel.

Conclusion

By it's size and mecanism, this replica is for snipers only (not surprising), no way to jump and crouch around with a quick aim like in counter strike :)

Advantages:

-Massive look

-Confort mainly because of it's ergonomic stock

-Relative stamina, easy to use and to take care of

-Accuracy once upgraded

Drawbacks:

-Low reloading time

-CLANG sound

-Too sensible trigger

-Stock Hop up

-Expensive to get and upgrade

This rifle is heavyier and bigger than it's brothers, but it's stability and confort will bring only pleasure to the fellow snipers.

Dismount :

Here is a marvelous french photo post of Ghost Sniper concerning dismount

How would you say that this compares to the UTG TYpe 96? I noticed that the FPS that it shoots at (atleast while stock) is quite a bit lower than that of the UTG version. Why is that? Also, you said that it basically is a bit heavier and feels a bit more comfortable? And what about durability?

I am a big UTG fan but I am still debating whether or not I want to get the UTG Type 96 or not. Thanks for any more info that you share (and thanks for all that you have already shared about this gun heh heh).

What is it with the report button? Must be broken so l4by decided to post instead.

Anyway, this is the whole point of the review section, so that rather than posting a new thread in tech or general etc, someone can ask in here in the threads that are already there.

The differences between the clones and the originals are in this case minimal, mostly just slightly rougher cast parts and paint, and in this case a pretty poor air seal so they stuck in a stronger spring to compensate.

Are we meant/allowed to report necroposting? I thought it was frowned upon, but not especially 'illegal', as far as the rules go?

Isn't the Warrior L96 superior to the UTG, or is it just a re-brand?

Ben.

EDIT:: Also, you called me 'Labby' instead of 'Lab'... Like an annoying, but faithful labrador. :D

Edited by L4byr1nth
What is it with the report button? Must be broken so l4by decided to post instead.

Anyway, this is the whole point of the review section, so that rather than posting a new thread in tech or general etc, someone can ask in here in the threads that are already there.

The differences between the clones and the originals are in this case minimal, mostly just slightly rougher cast parts and paint, and in this case a pretty poor air seal so they stuck in a stronger spring to compensate.

Sorry if I "necroposted".

Thanks for the response by the way, and thanks for giving details about the differences between the 2 clones.

• 2 months later...

I have a Warrior L96 that i got from AW. Zeroed it the day after i got it and was shooting 2inch groupings at 50m.

For a chinese replica it pretty much kicks *albatross*!! Plus at £150 its a fricken steal.

So if like me you love the L96 but cba to spend ridiculous amunts of money in the maruzen version then i would DEFINATELY recommend the warrior version.

However it is fraut with manufacturing flaws, such as the empty magazine indicator is fitted incorrectly and the weapon cocked indicator (pin that sticks out the bolt) the rod is too small, but other than these minor flaws its still a kick *albatross* weapon system!!

I got the L96 but play CQB, can't wait to get into some woodlands to use it. Only got problems with the hop-up at the moment but I'm hoping to change it.

Anyone recommend any sites that equip upgrades for the L96, perhaps even sites that carry out the upgrades (or do you think I should do it myself?).

Finally, how do the silencers fit on the barrel? How will it effect range/accuracy? I'm not entirely sure how they affect the guns in airsoft as its only my second weapon :)

• 3 months later...
Anyone recommend any sites that equip upgrades for the L96, perhaps even sites that carry out the upgrades (or do you think I should do it myself?).

Finally, how do the silencers fit on the barrel? How will it effect range/accuracy? I'm not entirely sure how they affect the guns in airsoft as its only my second weapon :)

There are very few "cheap" upgrade parts for the Maruzen Type 96 / Warrior 1 / Well L96 / UTG L96.

Most of the stuff you need to upgrade any of the above L96s will be parts designed (and priced) to suit the original Maruzen Type 96.

As such, it's just a case of sniffing around retailers such as WGC and looking for suitable parts.

A new trigger block should be top of your list, followed by a new hop up and then cylinder/piston upgrades.

The only relatively cheap upgrade available is the hop-up sold by Hexagon Products.

It's alright and certainly better than the unit sold by PDI.

I wouldn't bother paying a shop to carry out the upgrades for you.

Setting up an L96 is rather fiddly and time-consuming.

Any shop you pay to carry out the upgrade will probably just toss the parts in and send the gun back to you, leaving you to do all the setting-up when it's returned.

In that case you might as well just fit the parts yourself and then sort out all the set-up as well.

There's no easy way to fit a silencer to the standard barrel.

You need to buy a thread adaptor (again, one suitable for a Type 96) which'll give you a standard 14mm -ve thread to screw almost any silencer onto.

Bear in mind that as well as buying the thread adaptor you'll also probably want to purchase an L96 flash hider of some sort to fit when the silencer is removed.

I could list all the parts you need but it's really not worth the effort.

Simply go to WGC (www.wgcshop.com) and enter "type 96" in the search box.

There's only a couple of dozen upgrades and accesories available for the L96 and it's easy to find what you want by browsing.

• 1 month later...

Bought one of these recently from another forum already upgraded and WOW i was not dissapointed in the slightest, it looks the part and feels great to hold, and it has possibly the smoothest bolt action of any sniper rifle i've ever used with the same power, 500fps usually means you need to be able to pull a truck to get the bolt back but not with this.

• 1 year later...