Why the English System sucks

aznriptide859

English?

Sorry, hope you didn't have another interpretation of the title XD.

Though I will say it's messed up - almost all my classes deal calculations with SI, yet for everyday usage (temperature, length, etc.) I use Imperial/English/Whatever you call it.

Then again, I bet 50% of the US population is going to think a slug is and only is a slimey gastropod lol.

metric.

countries in the world using the system. EVERYONE ELSE. YES, EVERYONE.

including NASA, U.S. military, the scientific community and others.

can i get my passport stamped when entering NASA?

it raised a smirk though :P

I mixed my usage of both....When I was in university all the class problem were in SI, it is considered extra work when they sometimes throw a question in imperial unit, and people scrambled for it....But in my extra curricular project(Formula SAE, we build little race cars), I work almost exclusively in imperial units because we source most of our material in AN-spec, which is still very much imperial(other than powertrain, which is Honda bike engine, and all metric). Now I am working I find myself design stuff dimensionally in imperial first.....to my boss' constant dismay...lol

Funny thing is I didn't pick up imperial system until I was in uni, grew up in Taiwan in immigrated to Canada I use metric all my life to that point....

You English bastards invented it, don't blame it on us Americans.

At least the Brits have the common decency to recogniSe & fall in line with a more popular & sensible system, now one has come along. :D

See, I don't mind that you American Wankers can't spell, I just wish you wouldn't inflict it on the rest of the world, with dodgy spell checkers.

ColoUr! :P

Greg.

At least the Brits have the common decency to recogniSe & fall in line with a more popular & sensible system, now one has come along. :D

See, I don't mind that you American Wankers can't spell, I just wish you wouldn't inflict it on the rest of the world, with dodgy spell checkers.

ColoUr! :P

Greg.

British, not Brits.

Pakistanis, not Pakis.

Thank you.

I personally find Brits offensive but I wasn't offended if you catch my drift.

No worries, just trying to get folks to see the irony in its use when the word 'Paki' is so frowned upon. :)

I do understand.

I guess it's all about how these types of words are used & how they are received.

Let's face it, most folk on this side of the pond just see 'Brits' as an abbreviation & are blissfully unaware of it's historical use as a semi offensive tag used by anti-British in the US.

We even have an awards system called 'The Brits'. :huh:

I doubt we will see the mobos re named the N-word in our life times.

The P word, though largely dismissed is, to me, more offensive than the N word. I don't even know why, it just is. But this very much depends on whether I'm hearing it from a racist, intending offense, or a term of endearment about a friend.

Greg.

So I've been unknowingly offending Pakistani and (to a lesser extent) British exchange students for three years by calling them Brits and Pakis? :huh:

Well that depends. :D

As said, most 'English folk don't see anything wrong with abbreviating the title. Some Scott's & Welsh, who don't like the English & want separation from Britain might get the hump. :huh: I've herd that 'I'm not Brittish, I'm English' thing a few times too. Get a grip!

I'm not sure how folk from Pakistan feel about the P word. Typically, Indians don't like being called it. They are in political conflict with Pakistan & understandably don't like being mistaken for their friends across the border. It has typically & historically been used as a term of specific offense to anyone from that general region.

Bare in mind I can't speak for every one. Just the ones whom I've offended & who have kindly taken the time to explain why. :(

Greg.

Brit isnt an insult as far as Im concerned, and neither should Paki.

As with the 'N' word, its not the word, its the way its used. Pakistanis should reclaim their word. Some years back there was a guy starting up a fashion clothing company called Paki. I dont see how it should be an insult if used in the right way.

Brit isnt an insult as far as Im concerned, and neither should Paki.

As with the 'N' word, its not the word, its the way its used. Pakistanis should reclaim their word. Some years back there was a guy starting up a fashion clothing company called Paki. I dont see how it should be an insult if used in the right way.

Yup, as said, it's all about how vocab is meant & how it's received.

Note, the English Basterds Vs American Wankers earlier in this thread. Nothing but humor was meant & hopefully, nothing but humour was taken.

Genuine discrimination* of any sort is the lowest form of human behavior. It disgusts me. Accidental or not.

Even if I don't understand why, something I have said is offensive, I make a point of apology. It's why I instantly offered it to Pan, following his comments.

Greg.

* Except when directed at folk who work in telesales: Wake up! Stop ringing. If I want your stuff, I'll ring you. :angry:

Archived