Benefit of a GBB

Gator_Pharmer

OK, so I'm not exactly a Noob, but I have a question regarding the benefit of a GBB vs. AEG.

Is everyone going crazy over them for simply the realism associated with the blowback, or do they perform better in general? Especially in regards to FPS consistency. Being a former paintball guy I know there are issues with gasses and temperature and living in florida usually results in hot FPS.

Thanks for the info guys.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the only benifits of a GBB rifle are the realism facotrs, realistic takedown, recoil, mag capacity...

In regards to fps consistancy it appears to be hit and miss, have a good read of the gas gun reveiw section, youll see theres alot of problems, they can be solved but you have to be willing to put in the time and effort.

Its all about realism. Using a green gas, gas in mag gun will NEVER have even remotley stable FPS. There are CO2 mags (putting a 12g bulb in the mag) that can be fairly stable but they are expencive to buy and worse to keep buying the bulbs.

Realism mainly.

The only advantage is the instant/crisp trigger thing.

With an aeg, the trigger is just a switch, which suffers from lag, as the spring is pulled back & released.

A GBB rifle is the same as a GBB pistol. No lag at all & a crisp pull. Even with 11.1lipo's, mosfets etc, the gbb gives a better feeling trigger pull.

Reliability etc. varies from model to model, as do opinions.

KSC's system7 MP7 is an unbelievable little gun. Do not let it's diminutive form fool you into thinking it is a 'back up. Have a wade through the KSC MP7 thread, in the Gas pistol review section for more details. Although it only has a 'hi-cap' of 40 rounds, this little feller shoots as good as any aeg, in temperatures as low as 2C. 300-450fps depending on which one you go for, what you do to it & the ambient conditions. 12" groups at 50m, with guarder .28hpms & no freeze/cooldown problems. Despite owning many, excellent, aegs, I have skirmished exclusively with this gun, since I got it back in August last year. It's just more fun!

I also believe the KJ M4 is worth a look but have not had first hand experience.

Greg.

Realism is definitely the made attraction of GBBs for me personally, but accuracy and power do contribute also.

Admittedly there are also many negatives with GBBs, they're affected by temperature significantly and lack consistency, they're very high maintenance bits of kit and in comparison to AEGs they are definitely more complicated.

Its all about realism. Using a green gas, gas in mag gun will NEVER have even remotley stable FPS. There are CO2 mags (putting a 12g bulb in the mag) that can be fairly stable but they are expencive to buy and worse to keep buying the bulbs.

I just use a mix of CO2 and Propane mags ( 50/50 ), i usually put the CO2 mags on the FASTmags during morning and then change the position when it gets warmer, since the temperature variation is about ~10/12ºC between morning and afternoon this setup as worked for me very well, never spent more than 15€/month on CO2 ( that's about 1200bb's/month on CO2 usage ). For me it's worth it.

Realism is definitely the made attraction of GBBs for me personally, but accuracy and power do contribute also.

Admittedly there are also many negatives with GBBs, they're affected by temperature significantly and lack consistency, they're very high maintenance bits of kit and in comparison to AEGs they are definitely more complicated.

I take this position as a more personal one since i actually think ( at least for me ), that a GBB system is actually less complicated than an AEG. After you get used to them you'll find them pretty easy to understand and very simple tbh. They do require more maintenance, but not to the point of becoming a nuisance, mostly is just knowing where to clean and apply oil.

How can they be MORE accurate, if they're LESS consistent? Point is, I have yet to see GBB rifles consistently outshoot AEGs.

Have you done a side by side comparison with an out of the box KSC, System7, MP7 & an out of the box aeg of similar price & power?

Greg.

GBB=fun

looks cool when firing and reloading

:)

Yup, there's nothing like leaving a safe zone, slapping a mag in & having to actually cock the gun. :D

Same with mag changes & the bolt release, really adds to the whole total immersion thing.

Greg.

Ironic, how most folk reject the aep in favor of a gbb pistol, but prefer an aeg to a gbb rifle, saying they are bad performers, less accurate & over complicated. <_<

I never had any interest in gbb rifles & only got involved with the KSC MP7, in order to give an honest comparison appraisal.

I was so impressed, I bought one & never looked back.

Before you write all gbb's off, do some proper comparisons. Like aegs, gbb's, ain't all dodgy M16-a-likes.

Greg.

i recall wanting a gbb rifle ever since i discovered gbb pistols.

10 years ago, the nearest i got was the distinctly nbb marushin gas m1 carbine, and a few years later, an ancient 15 year old gas-in-buffer-stock-tube jac m16a2 carbine, also nbb...

its taken 10 years to get here, other than upgraded tank-fed classic-gas retro-fits.

gbb rifles is the thing i was after all along really...

i dont mind the reports of cold weather poor performance etc, compared to aeg's, mainly because as i've said i love the idea of gas-fed popping and reloads.

and besides, i'm such a poor shot with an aeg normally anyway, its not going to make a difference to me, i'm no match shooter.

Ironic, how most folk reject the aep in favor of a gbb pistol, but prefer an aeg to a gbb rifle, saying they are bad performers, less accurate & over complicated. <_<

Greg.

To be fair, AEPs suffer from some significant drawbacks when compared to a standard size AEG. The small size of the frame and consequent small size of the AEP gearbox places limitations on motor power, fps, battery storage, etc. The AEG does not have these sorts of limitations because there is (generally) plenty of room in an AEG to put a powerful battery, motor, etc.

The GBB pistol performs significantly better than AEP due to the limitations of the AEP system.

The GBBR performs about the same as an AEG, but (some would say) has limitations imposed on it by the use of a GIM system.

• 3 weeks later...

speaking of GBB i heard that it justshortens the life of the gun, so i was wondering if there was a resonably cheap metal pistol out there that is for sure surable, not nesacerally super acurate or hard hitting, i just want to know whitch one could take a good beating and still get out there and get some

HFC M190 is a generally good bet, although they seem to have problems with the fire selector switch after a while.

Back on-topic, why do we play this game in the first place? FUN. I have never burst into a *suitcase*-eating grin firing off an AEG, but my GBB has that effect.

Archived