Odd/Ridiculous Transaction Issue

Alright, so here's what came to be:

I was selling an Intellect battery for $25 shipped to a customer in Cali. Item shipped fine, but after a game the buyer found out the battery didn't hold a charge for long - something I wasn't aware of. Of course, I refunded him the money, and paid an additional amount for shipping. This was about a week or two ago.

Fast forward to today, I have a notification of the package in my mailbox. I go get it, and what do I find?

IMG_0638.jpg

That's right, a friggin OPENED PACKAGE. I asked all 3 PO employees - they claim that nothing was lost in their office, and this is how the mail was delivered to them. Now I've lost packages before through USPS (a total of 3 this year so far), but usually it resulted in the package not received/delivered. However, this blatant fact that a USPS employee TOOK the item, then had the guts to continue to send an EMPTY package is just despicable.

Now I have no idea what to do with the buyer. Currently I'm out of a shipping charge AND my battery, which is *fruitcage*-ingly pissing me off. Should the buyer be responsible for the item that was lost in transit?

I will contact USPS tomorrow regarding this - but in the meantime I have ceased all shipping activity with USPS.

do you know the buyer, or are you aware if he has a good buying rep?

they could have just posted an empty packet, torn, and made a claim. hey presto, free battery, and you even paid postage!

im not saying this is the case, but surely something to think about :)

I tend NOT to draw conclusions like that (i.e. the stupid eBayer who said I paid for postage for an item and didn't drop it off at my PO...who the *fruitcage* does THAT?????)

Though, come to think about it...the buyer DID claim he was going to ship it in a flat-rate USPS box, but it instead came in an envelope.

*eerie suspicions music starts*

that sucks, lucky it was just a battery though.

i read a thread on Arnies once by a guy asking advice who shipped 2 real steal rifles in solid cases. Both where taken and they where recorded delivery (or what ever you call it in the US) he phoned the post office it was last tracked at, they said they had no record of it and there was no way they lost it. 2 days later he had to buy them from eBay then phoned the police.

have you checked ebay?

USPS sucks totally and 100%. I mailed a book to a friend a few months ago, and USPS delivered an opened wrapper with nothing in it. You would have figured that someone would have raised a red flag when they noticed that they were shipping and delivering a piece of paper with tape on it that was all torn up. I even made sure that everything was wrapped up nice and tight. Only way that was getting opened was by someone's hand.

I'd ask the buyer for a refund. He should be responsible for sending your item back safely. Especially if he sent it in a different form than he said he was going to.

USPS sucks totally and 100%.

Agreed.

I had bought a CA G36c from a local guy, one of the screws was missing from the carry handle, so he said he'd ship it when he found it. A few weeks later, I get a giant, torn up envelope in the mail from USPS, and inside was another torn up envelope, and inside THAT one was the original envelope that looked like a dog got a hold of it, and there was no bolt to be found. I wasn't too miffed about the bolt, but much more so by the fact that USPS somehow mangled up 3 envelopes.

:rolleyes:

When mailing (Envelopes) through USPS envelopes go through a processing plant, the machines will forcibly push out any abnormalities if not cushioned with foam or something to 'lead' the item/s.

You should never ship items in an standard envelope, rather a padded envelope or shipping envelope. This is the buyer fault for bad packaging, get your money back.

Archived