DSC01135.jpg

Manufacturers:

-Eagle (actual manufacturer), Pantac, TMC, and other random Chinese manufacturers

DSC01183.jpg

Model:

-Combat Integrated Releasable Armor System, Land Version

DSC01191.jpg

backside of CIRAS

Specifications

-I bought the medium sized CIRAS, in Pantac's rendition of Coyote Brown

DSC01181.jpg

Accessories needed to run:

-Technically, it is good to go right out of the box...err bag. The CIRAS really does include almost everything, a radio pouch, your random assortment of

magazine pouches, an admin panel, and a set of plastic SAPI plates.

DSC01187.jpg

DSC01188.jpg

Cost and place of purchase:

-Purchased at AirSoftSmith, for $220

Intro/First Impressions:

I have always wanted a CIRAS. For some reason, the looks negate the fact that it is quite the bulky piece of gear. I do have to say however, that the CIRAS is quite comfy. The only bit of discomfort for me was the shoulder straps, they were extremely stiff (gigity) before break in. Before I bought the CIRAS, I was disputing between the CIRAS and the Rhodesian Recon Vest (RRV). The deal breaker was the fact that the RRV would mean that I would have to purchase all of the parts, and pouch the RRV myself. The RRV came out a lot more expensive (as my ideal RRV loadout would have a PACA underneath), while the CIRAS came out so much cheaper, and I loved the looks a lot more.

Regarding the Pantac brand itself: What really sold me on spending the extra money for this CIRAS, was the fact that I found out that some real world operators used PANTAC as well. Here's some food for thought: Pantac Info Link and

Looks:

Well, I would like to think that pics will speak for itself. In terms of build quality however, I would say that it is great. I did not notice any mis-stitches, or bad fabric used. In fact, Pantac did something that Eagle did not for their CIRAS, they covered the inner cummerbund's velcro up, so that it does not tear up the front panel's mesh. The color I really love, but it is not true Coyote Brown.

DSC01186.jpg

Metal Parts:

The metal content is over 9000! Just kidding. The release cord, zipper keys, and rivets are metal. It is really nice of Pantac to use what I suspect is galvanized cable on their pull release system. The cheaper Chinese knockoffs tend to use some sort of cloth rope that rips according to random reviews.

Features:

-Releasable via pull cord (has one at the bottom, and a release pillow that can be placed on either side, about bosom height)

-Comes with Plates

-Very durable build

Any Upgrades you have installed:

-Modified bungee sling, with carabiner (This was to avoid the sling choking me out if I ever decided to release the vest with a sling on it...Do not find it likely?

It happened twice already!)

-Will be putting a Modular Assault Pack on the back side

-Modified the strange zipper handle made of paracord doo-hickey that Pantac did. I simply undid the cord, and retied it in a standard manner, heat cutting off

the excess cord.

Conclusion:

While some may argue about the Pantac CIRAS being costly. Let's have a partial price break down shall we? You get the vest obviously, then you get:

-two fake plates ($20)

-a Dual pistol mag pouch ($14)

-a double M4 mag pouch ($18)

-an Admin pouch ($14)

-a large utility pouch ($22)

-two single M4 magazine pouches ($24 total)

-a medic pouch ($15)

-a radio pouch ($17)

-a smoke grenade pouch (~$14)

So to calculate, you get $158 in pouches and plates...Meaning you essentially pay $62 for a well made CIRAS. Provided yes, you can get cheap Chinese (brands like no-names and TMC come to mind) CIRASes for a lot cheaper ($150 or so), you have to buy plates ($20), bringing costs up to $170. They typically have poor stitching, material quality, and the pull cords tend to be made of some kind of cloth rope...meaning that it would rip after a few pulls. So all in all, you really are getting a great value for what you are paying.

I warn you however, the CIRAS is a bulky vest, and has quite the heft, so I highly recommend that you stop by your local store and try it out before you buy it, see ho comfortable you are in it. If you like the look of CIRAS and want a good balance of quality and price, go for the Chinese cloners. BUT if you want a good quality at a steal of a deal, go for PANTAC. happy.gif

Edited by Arnie

Almost as good...hmm that is truly hard to say, for the value, they definitely are a steal. If it's durability that you want, keep this in mind, some real world operators actually use Pantac products, so that tells you a little something about durability, if the soldiers are willing to put their lives at steak.

Here's the thing; for the amount of wear and tear/abuse an airsofter gives his gear (using it at most about once a month or so) I think Pantac or Flyye is more than enough durablity wise. I know Flyye uses 1000D Cordura so that should pretty much last you forever.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my 3rd - and I'm sure my final - vest, I just love it. You do have freedom when it comes to attaching your pouches and other stuff. For durability I gotta say it will last longer than most players do. :)

I also got a small LED lamp for it and it turned out to be a great asset at a night scenario. I wonder if others got it, too?

Do you have guys any good ides of what I should use for fake kevlar inserts? I made one from foam but I'm not really satisfied with it.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a lot of pantac on my team, we have yet to really break in oure new black mar ciras's but oure OD stuff have been in use for years, we got the G&P stuff when it came out, but that has been mostly sold off and replaced with pantac, I have 28 kilos of the stuff comming in next week so we can finish our AKS setups,

Regarding standalone vests, dealer pricing with and with out pouches are the reson you see then with pouches.

Edited by jkpics
  • 4 weeks later...

Bando, I can certainly say that (and I could have sworn that someone else on one of my reviews said the same) the Coyote Brown coloring is a lot closer to Eagle specs than way back when they were Phantom. As far as quality between the two, I cannot say that I have ever heard a comparison between the two.

• 7 months later...