5.11 Tactical Trainer Hikers

Introduction

In trying to force myself to not be a broken record of “well I am a Blackhawk! fanboy" when it came to getting a new pair of cross trainers I decided to go a different route (even though Blackhawk! just came out with a new pair, the Tanto, I was unimpressed with them). Thus came up the 5.11 Tactical Trainer shoe. I’ve had good luck with 5.11 short boots in the past so I figured I’d break from my norm and give these a try.

IMG_0743.jpg

Sale’s Article

TACTICAL TRAINER
• Suede upper with mesh panels for increased breathability
• Abrasion resistant toe
• Extended throat and closure for full foot fit
• Reinforced ghilley lacing system
• Metal loop eyelets
• Gussetted tongue
• Dual density polyurethane comfort footbed
• Comfort foam layer and lightweight Phylon midsole
• Double lasted construction for lateral support
• Composite shank plate
• Vibram® outsole
• Imported
The Tactical Trainer from 5.11 Tactical is a true tactical boot with the styling of a lightweight hiking boot. A tactical law enforcement boot disguised as casual or light hiker to meet the needs of the todays law enforcement or security force.

511tactical%2012128.jpg

BACK TO OUR ROOTS (or Where it all began):
Some of 5.11 Tactical’s first products were adopted on shooting ranges because of their superior functionality, fit and comfort. For functionality on their feet, end-users wear hiking boots on the range because of the flexibility, durability, and torsional support. To meet consumer needs on the range, 5.11 Tactical is introducing the Tactical Trainer, a durable, flexible, and breathable lightweight hiking boot with a Vibram outsole for superior traction and cushioning.

COVERT:
Though 5.11 Tactical’s Product Development Meetings, end-users have requested a tactical boot that can be worn covertly, that also features the function, comfort, and innovation they have come to expect from 5.11 Tactical products. The Tactical Trainer is a tactical boot that is not perceived as a tactical boot or law enforcement boot by the public. It’s a tactical law enforcement boot disguised as a light hiker, allowing the end-user to wear with denim or a pair of 5.11 Tactical Covert Khaki pants and a Select Carry pack to disappear into a crowd.

FUNCTION:
The Tactical Trainer from 5.11 Tactical features a rough out suede upper combined with open mesh to deliver durability and breathability. This tactical boot is built on a hiking boot last for a more precise fit around the midfoot and ankle delivering improved ankle support, and because the last is built to accommodate thicker socks, you get a roomier forefoot fit. For the bottom we’ve followed 5.11 Tactical’s secret family recipe for building comfortable tactical boots, the midsole is designed with similar densities and thicknesses to a performance running shoe delivering tremendous comfort from start to finish. The Tactical Trainer also features a Vibram outsole for the ultimate in no-slip traction combined with shock dispersion and extended wear. Internally we’ve added a foam layer as part of the forefoot lasting board to increase comfort and flexibility. The entire forefoot is over-lasted to improve lateral support on those quick stops and starts. Plus the over-lasted forefoot delivers tremendous ground feel. Internally we’ve specced a polyurethane insole for superior cushioning plus poron pads in the forefoot and heel strike zones to absorb shock. A complete package that will deliver performance from the covert streets to off-road pursuits.

OFF THE CLOCK:
All work and no play...The engineered comfort of the Tactical Trainer from 5.11 Tactical is definitely not all work. The Tactical Trainer is a great looking boot that will deliver style and comfort from family hike to cookout to ball game to pick up football. Though you might be taking some much needed personal time, your Tactical Trainer will still be delivering comfort for your feet.

First Impressions

I purchased this in Tundra color and first impressions were very positive. Let me get this out of the way first, their not sneakers, or even a cross trainer. These are short boots. That said these are great and though they have high side support they are maneuverable enough you could still use them in place of a sneaker if you wanted to.

IMG_0749.jpg

Appearance

I’d say in looks they reminded me of a cross between an Oakley flack jacket and a nice pair of and the cross trainers the Army issues (I have no idea what brand they are). They work great with my PMC loadout and I’m glad I got them in Tundra over the all black version.

IMG_0746.jpg

Look Grade: 7/10

There isn’t much to say about the looks of a tactical shoe, they all tend to follow a fairly basic design and 5.11’s are no different. I do like the way their colored but even still fairly basic in design.

Feel/Aesthetic

These are pretty damn comfortable. I can’t really compare them to a normal pair of boots but despite that I’d say these are more comfortable than most boots and shoes I’ve owned but unlike some of the higher end ones I’ve had like Blackhawk’s and Oakley’s these are going to require some breaking in. The sides are a bit stiff as is the heel which I don’t believe is intended to last, nor do I hope it does ;) .

The shoes have a Vibram sole and have a serious shock absorbing insole that feels similar to the way Blackhawk Desert Op’s boot have you “walking on air.” Their truly comfortable for that and don’t suffer from the problem a lot of tac shoes I’ve worn that feel more like cleats or something.

IMG_0753.jpg

One thing I didn’t like as much as other tac shoes is that they don’t possess as many features as many others do like lace locks and such and are fairly basic in most ways.

Feel Grade: 8/10
Aesthetics: 7/10

Use

After wearing them around for about a week I took these for a 2 mile run and I’ve got mixed feelings towards these. On the road they suffer from the same issue that most cross trainers have, getting a bit heavy and just not being the right shoe for running on roads. Off road however their much better. I find these to be great for off roading which makes these useful for airsoft.

I know many airsofters are weary of tactical shoes because they fear ankle injuries and while this is a valid concern, with these being fair high topped I don’t think that should be as big of an issue as many lower cut tac shoes tend to be.

Doing high speed maneuvers aren’t that bad either. I did a run on an obstacle course with these as well (research IOCT on youtube) and they were pretty functional, not sacrificing too much dexterity or support and still be very comfortable.

IMG_0751.jpg

I like the shock absorbing ability of these shoes as well. Dropping a good 10 feet wasn’t nearly as bad as in normal running shoes or sneakers. And while this might not come up for most airsofters, a problem I’ve had with some other shoes like normal sneakers is that when climbing ropes traction control is not that good however with these they act more like a normal boot but not as stereotypically stiff.

Use Grade: 8/10

Not the most comfortable road shoe but makes up for it in off road abilities.

Conclusion

Pros:
A decent level of compromise between comfort and support
Light weight
Strong build
Quality sole and insole

Cons:
At $100 their a bit expensive compared to most of their competitors.
Hard to clean

Overall Grade: 7/10

IMG_0755.jpg

I’d say these are fairly average tactical shoes. Not bad, but not great either. I would say the Oakley’s I had were better and rate these about equal with what I was issued. In the same breath I would recommend these if you were looking for a tactical shoe. 5.11 gear is high end company and these shoes do deserve some equal attention and are absolutely top notch in quality.

Credits:

http://www.511tactical.com/Shop

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/Law...0:10702/I/12128