Replace push button switch on drum mag

Agent47

Simple enough- the switch will have 2 wires ( usually wired in-line on the negative wire ), you'd just remove the switch and solder on the female jack- that will have 2 solder terminals on the rear also. You can then plug in the remote switch with its long lead and activate the mag by pressing that- when you remove the male plug from the female socket on the mag it will act like a kill switch, so no chance of it winding itself on without the switch plugged in.

Thats what I would do anyway, unless Im smokin crack again and talking out of my *albatross*.

Simple enough- the switch will have 2 wires ( usually wired in-line on the negative wire ), you'd just remove the switch and solder on the female jack- that will have 2 solder terminals on the rear also. You can then plug in the remote switch with its long lead and activate the mag by pressing that- when you remove the male plug from the female socket on the mag it will act like a kill switch, so no chance of it winding itself on without the switch plugged in.

Thats what I would do anyway, unless Im smokin crack again and talking out of my *albatross*.

This souds about right. The female jack might need a hole drilled somewhere to mount it (or the hole form the old switch enlarged). It should come with a washer and nut.

I think you'll be wanting these supplies:

3.5mm felmale jack (mono)

3.5mm male jack (only if the other end of you pressure switch isn't already wired up to one)

solder & iron (liquid or paste flux, for easier soldering)

heatshrink

drillbit

If you need further assitance, post here (pics, if you can) or PM me.

Also, if you can, post a link to the switch you plan on using or a pic of it (or just the tip). I just want ot confirm that it's a 3.5mm type audio tip.

-T.S.

Here's a pic of the drum mag I'm trying to convert - posting will be sporadic over the next week as we've got a truckload of exams coming at us...

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/Sil...7/AKdrummag.jpg

I'd imagine there'd be enough room to fit a female 3.5mm jack where the existing button is. Looks like you won't have to resize the hole.

Have you tried removing the button and checking how much room there is (eg. nothing in the way)?

I'd reckon you'd need maybe 1-2cm of depth to fit a jack.

Also, are you planning on using a switch like this? :

romisenrct6ledflashligh.jpg

Or does the end already have a headphone type connector?

(Because you'll have to cut off the screw-on end, solder the exposed wires to a male 3.5mm jack and put heatshrink over it. Not a difficult job.)

And, if you don't mind me asking, how's your soldering skills?

-T.S.

soldering skills are non-existent...unfortunately - last time I handled a soldering gun was in grade school...

I do need to know what specifically to look for, I just know what the device is, but not the best brand name to buy

I was initially thinking of buying some Hero Arms pressure switches but I think they might be too short because I want the switch taped to my pistol grip and I don't think the Hero Arms one stretches that far to the front. That's because the Hero Arms mags have the plug in the back of the mag...

soldering skills are non-existent...unfortunately - last time I handled a soldering gun was in grade school...

I do need to know what specifically to look for, I just know what the device is, but not the best brand name to buy

I was initially thinking of buying some Hero Arms pressure switches but I think they might be too short because I want the switch taped to my pistol grip and I don't think the Hero Arms one stretches that far to the front. That's because the Hero Arms mags have the plug in the back of the mag...

romisenrct6ledflashligh.jpg:

Here's one, but I think you can find one of these for cheaper:

Pressure Switch

You're going to have to cut off the screw-on end and solder the two exposed wires to the tabs on a male 3.5mm jack (mono). I don't think it'll matter which tab you solder either wire on.

Also, I think you might want to put the female jack opposite the existing button, so that the wire to the switch will reach your pistol grip.

If you decide to put the jack on the back of the mag, I think the Hero Arms pressure switch will reach:

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?products_id=29567

Here's the updated materials list. You can go to a RadioShack if theres one near you or you can order online off of Mouser. You can also take down the model and catalog # of each RadioShack item (or print out the page for each item) and give it to one of the sales people and they should be albe to find it:

-Pressure Switch - On Ebay Hero Arms Switch (If you get the Hero Arms one, you wont need to get the male 3.5mm/1/8in plug)

-3.5mm/1/8" Female Phone Jack - At RadioShack At Mouser

-3.5mm/1/8" Male Jack - At Radioshack (it's stereo, but should still work fine. You can also salvage this from old/cheap headphones.) At Mouser

-Hook Up Wire (~20AWG) - On ebay(You can also get some (paired) wire from old headphones or old elctronics.) At Radioshack(a spool this size should last quite a while)

-Solder and Iron (if you don't already have access to one) - Solder at RS Iron at RS

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys quick update time...

I managed to get the female jacks in place but there seems to be a slight problem (Top Spin I'm not sure if the message got delivered as I kept getting error messages)...

When I first installed the female jacks, the battery box in the drum mag had batteries in it and the battery box switch was turned off. Now when I turn it on with the pressure switch inside the jack, and press the pressure switch, the motor won't wind. However, if I take the pressure switch out with the battery box still turned on, the motor keeps running and running until I put the pressure switch back in the jack!

here's some pics to show the solder work. I used the Radioshack plugs as suggested above. There are three solder points on the female jack that come off of different levels within the jack and I may have just placed them on the wrong ones...

completedfemalejack1.jpg

completedfemalejack2.jpg

Update for anyone that can help me...

full view of current wiring:

messedupdrummagwiring.jpg

example from hero arms drum mag

heroarmsdrummagsuccessfulwiring.jpg

difference is that the hero arms drum mag does not appear to have a switch on the battery box and that there is a power wire and a ground wire coming out of the female jack.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived