Stiel(BF)Granate

Docv400

Started work on making some BF(stick)G 'conversions' for my Fallschirm-Jäger loadout.

Turned a handle down from a square Oak bannister spindle...

StielBFG1c.jpg

Handle's a little long, and needs some more shaping.

The cap is secured to the handle by a 6mm bolt, which threads into a steel insert in the end of the handle.

Added a sleeve over the BFG body.

Found an old Bart Simpson Aluminium drinks bottle (how apt, Bart+Pyro), chopped the top off and cut a slot in it to fit round the spoon mounting.

Just a rough mock-up still, at the moment...

StielBFG2.jpg

StielBFG2a.jpg

Just need to decide how it'll be armed now.

Some basic options;

Keep the spoon as it is and have a longer slot to clear it, using the pin as normal, can stays on the BFG.

Shorten the spoon (or make a shorter replacement) so it clears the slot at the length it is now, can stays on the BFG.

Don't use the pin (the can holds the spoon down), you pull the can off to arm it.

Someone on another forum suggested a cord running through the handle to pull the spoon release, not impossible, and would be realistic of course.

I have a few other slight variations in mind as well, including one where I machine off the spoon mounting altogether and have some sort of low-profile sear arrangement, or a shorter sear arrangement with a hinged end that rests against the body to lock it, could be released by a cord or pin/ring.

I'd really like to have the can as a permanent attachment, it'd still be useable at a regular skirmish, with the handle removed.

Another option is to have the 'can' shape moulded onto the body with some sort of rubber-like material.

Yes, although even with a helmet on I still wouldn't like to be clonked by one :o , that applies to any BFG actually.

Most (if not all) sites require/firmy suggest BFGs are tossed/rolled underarm at or near the ground anyway.

Whatever I end up using for the can is going to get a bit beat-up, unlike the real ones which only ever looked like new, up until the point of detonation of course :P

Another thought I had was to mould it into a can shape with a rubber-like coating/sealant over the body.

I see it more for building/area clearance, popping it through doorways/windows, round a corner or over a wall, rather than a medium-long distance lob in woodland/open areas.

I think if you did lob it any distance, it would detonate before it reached the intended target anyway.

When you throw a BFG normally of course, the 'arming' happens at the moment you let go of it.

With this, you're going to lose a little of the delay as you'll be arming it, and then pulling your arm back and throwing.

Care to share? :P

Friend of mine is a very talented chartered Mech Engineer - and he owes me a favour or two, so i'm wondering what he would come up with (and he does owe me rather a lot of favours :lol: )

As to acceptable, certainly wouldnt have any problems with using it at CiA WW2 run events, of that I'm sure!

Thinking of having him build a BF(Stick)G from scratch?

I've been thinking about that myself for a while now ;)

My thought was to have a cord through the handle to arm it (as with the real one), but not have any locking device.

Pulling the cord would 'cock' the sprung firing pin, using a similar delay mechanism to the Dynatec BFG, but a little longer, say 4-5secs, and incorporating a one-way valve so there was no resistance on the cocking stroke, other than the spring loading.

It would all be contained in the handle. The 'can' would just house the blank adaptor.

You'd arm it immediately before deployment.

I'd love to do a smoke one as well :flamed:

Archived