Wot am best motorbike (for my specific requirements)

amateurstuntman

Amateurstuntman: most of the bikes in Mad Max were Kawasaki Z1000s ('Big Z's).

That 400 would be a nightmare to live with. Those 400cc 4-pots are screaming little things which need to be revved to oblivion or you may as well walk. plus you would need Direct Access, in restricted form they run at 59hp, the Japanese limit. Unrestricted, who knows?

Pretty much.

They are called Dual Sport Bikes over here.

I was waiting for a Motard to chime in.

:D

Have a look at the BMW stuff, especially the F650 range, very reliable, comfortable with enough grunt and as long as you buy from a BMW approved place, the subsidised insurance is really cheap! If you are lucky, you could find a second hand Scarver (F650CS) which was wierd, but has a belt final drive that only needs replacing every 20 000 miles.....

They also do some incredible deals on new stuff, at one stage the new F650 was on a £500 deposit and £10 a month for three years deal, at that cost, why buy second hand when you get the new warranty etc!?

As someone else has already said, look around now as there are loads of winter deals as sellers/ dealers are trying to get rid of Winter stock for the new seasons bikes.

Hope that helps!

Lee

As already said, you're not gonna get away with a 400cc bike, unless you plan to use it as a prophylactic.

Also, what the bloody-hell happened to "a nice sensible commuter bike that's also fun but is easy to work on"?

Oooooh! Shiny! :P

If you ARE headed down that road then take a look at the Honda VFR750F.

Gear driven cams means no timing belts to change and drastically cuts down on maintenance.

Single sided swingarm means it's a doddle to change the tyre and adjust or replace the chain.

On the down side, if the engine does go wrong it usually means it becomes a doorstop.

The VFR750F is, basically, a Honda RC30 in civilian clothes and the RC30 is the bike that the NC24/NC30 is based on.

Bear in mind that very few bikes with a full fairing can make it up a kerb without scraping the bellypan though.

Yeah.

I will ultimately let my head win this argument but I just typed £1000 into bike trader and saw that.

I love those twin headlamps.

I guess I'll do my test and see what's about when I've passed.

My father-in-law has bikes and his mate too. I'll be able to take someone who knows what they are talking about with me.

The VFR750 looks like a nice bike but I am going to stay with my original brief, the F650CS looks good too but I can't seem to find one for less than £2500.

I was browsing the chinese bike website and saw their buggies.

Shiny.

All the practicality of a bike with none of the traffic busting benefits.

And nearly 8 grand.

Leave it alone...

Whats that, Sir?

Oh, you want something that makes you feel as vulnerable as a bike, you want to get covered with dead flies in summer and all shades of **** in winter, not be able to park in bike bays and be completely unable to overtake on an oversized, overweight, underpowered monstrosity of a motorcycle?

Oh, and you want to pay the price of a large family/executive car for the pleasure?

Welcome to the world of Boom! http://www.boom-trikes.co.uk/products.html

Holy smeg!

The fighter X12, called a fighter because it is actually the same size as an F-15...

If I wanted open top driving and impracticality with none of the bike benefits and I had the same money/sense ratio as their customers I'd just have to get one of these DP-1s

http://www.dpcars.net/

Awesome.

I particularly liked the Swiss Quadster. A snip at £33,800.

To think, I might squander £33k on a 5 year old BMW M3 and a Yamaha R1 of the same vintage rather than buying one of those!

Let's face it, the only reason tat like that exists is so people like Billy Connoly can "ride" around without a bike license.

*EDIT*

For complete insanity, I think these take the cake: http://www.aero3s.com/

When I first saw it I thought it was a kit-car that cost, maybe, a couple of grand. Then I realised they cost upwards of £50k. :o

I could just make one of these...

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/10/subar...owered-atv.html

If I get the place I have put an offer on I will eventually sell the Skoda and get a diesel euro-box for the mrs and build a kit car for myself.

The Ultima GTR, Fisher Fury and ZX14 powered Spire GT-R are my current favourites.

That or a modified Land Rover/Range Rover hybrid.

Who knows when I'll have the cash to afford one though, The best laid plans and all that...

Somehow I prefer the idea of physics bending power when there is a nice metal roll-cage around me.

I've driven a Kymco Agility 50 for 2 and a half years to work and back (more than 20 km every day). It's a reliable and fun scooter to ride. I've just made arrangements for purchasing a second hand Kawasaky ZZr 400 as a travel bike (not ready to part with my beloved scooter just yet, it's just too easy and cheap to ride in the city).

As for gear, you should get clothes and gloves second hand but never helmets and boots.

Archived