High flow valve OR hammer spring

Smith5

I was having a think (or just finding distractions from work :rolleyes: ), if you were to replace either the stock mag valve OR the hammer spring (not both, only one of them) in a GBB pistol with an upgrade part, which would result in the greater fps increace over the other, assuming all other things are kept the same?

If you could only upgrade one, which would it be and why?

I was having a think (or just finding distractions from work :rolleyes: ), if you were to replace either the stock mag valve OR the hammer spring (not both, only one of them) in a GBB pistol with an upgrade part, which would result in the greater fps increace over the other, assuming all other things are kept the same?

If you could only upgrade one, which would it be and why?

Depending on the gun, you can expect 5 -20 additional fps for a ported valve & upto 5 for a hammer spring.

This is not always the case but typical of most KSC's & clones thereof.

The Marui Glock 17 is sort of the exception to the rule (in my experience), where the valve adds about 10fps & a guarder hammer spring adds about the same 10fps. :huh:

Sorry, don't care to try & explain why. I guess it's obvious, more power will be given by the one which releases the most gas.

Sometimes you get very little extra power, as the extra gas, is directed into the blow back. Thus, you sometimes see no extra power but loads of additional kick.

I normally port mag valves as a matter of course & then do the spring when I get round to it.

Funnily enough, both of these in combination gives the best results.

Way more extra power comes from replacing the rocket valve, it's spring & extending the length of the barrel. ;)

Greg.

All fps are with green & a .2 @ 20C on guns around 300fps. ;)

Hammer spring doesnt increass fps only possible consistency and helps with fast shots. most of the time stronger hammer spring are installed if u going up in gas like a132 to propane or co2 as stock hammer spring might not be able to push the gas release valve. Hi flow valve will always give u higher fps but might require stronger hamer spring to be efficient depending on the design of the valve and gun.

High flow valves diminish a pistols consistancy, however they will yield the larger increase of power, especially when using stronger gas's.

The hammer spring would result in better consistantcy than the valve mod, as it opens the valve faster and more cleanly.

I came to the conlusion its better to leave both alone I ended up trimming my guarder 150% spring down till it had slighly more resistance than the standard spring, I did the same with the recoil. I found that it makes maintainance easier having a smaller harder spring than having to thread a longer weaker spring on. Also the resistance builds rather than being constant .Having the most resistance right at the end of the trigger pull on DA ,and easing the cycle of the gun.

For pistols, because the barrel length is so short, its all in the high impulse of gas release that defines the force to propell the BB.

On a typical negative pressure GBB, the best way to improve power is replacing the rocket valve with a hi-flow version and modifying the valve blocker distance. Rocket valve is activated by pressure, as it hit a certain pressure behind the valve it will activate.

Allowing a lot of gas to hit the BB faster before the rocket valve activates is the way to go. A hi-flow rocket valve will go exactly that.

High flow magazine valves are good for increasing the amount of gas to the blowback unit, but if the bottleneck is in the rocket valve, then as someone said before it goes straight to blowback.

A high tension hammer, while it does improve the impulse of the gas release and hence the shown increase in power, is a double edged sword. Because to recock the hammer requires extra effort, hence extra gas is expended to pull the hammer back. It is not the best way to improve a GBB.

However, on a WA based positive pressure system the rocket valve is very small already allowing quite a high flow. The only improvement is if you bore out the nozzle, at the expense of durability, OR you go with the stronger hammer spring + hi-flow magazine valve combo.

Just found this article it might help people understand the upgrades and what they do in a GBB

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?reviewID=199

on other note anyone had expirence with 5KU and ACTION rocket valves? which is batter in combination with Dyna piston head?

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/5ku-power-up-cy...pa-5-1-gbb.html

vs

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/action-cylinder...b-aluminum.html

from the pictures the 5KU looks nicer but not sure? any advice?

on other note anyone had expirence with 5KU and ACTION rocket valves? which is batter in combination with Dyna piston head?

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/5ku-power-up-cy...pa-5-1-gbb.html

vs

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/action-cylinder...b-aluminum.html

from the pictures the 5KU looks nicer but not sure? any advice?

I have the Action Cylinder Bulb and the 5KU and the Dyna Head.

The Dyna Head made a real difference in SNAP. It was much sharper, though I'm not certain there was a huge FPS jump, the replica jumps more in my grip. It feels much more alive. The new spring they include worked well, but again, who knows exactly how much it helps. It certainly had an effect on how strong a seal I get!

I didn't notice much difference with the Action or 5KU, but I did have a problem with the 5KU coming out of alignment once or twice. The Action has been perfect. Might have been a fluke or maybe I just couldn't seat the 5KU correctly? Both, when working, seemed to give a slightly more agressive POP sound, which made me happy ;)

I can't say it mattered any in the long run, but I figure it can't -hurt-. The cylinder bulb change was worth the pittance I dropped on it. I unfortunately bought TWO of the Actions by mistake, and have the left over 5KU, so I now have a stock cylinder bulb, and Action one, and a 5KU I need to get around to selling <_< Could be worse, though.

Incidentally, if anyone cares, these are being run in my TM P226.

Archived