Max and Paddy go to the Nurburgring

aznriptide859

So fail, but then again, given how much your wallet would be hurt if you screw up, playing with more of a margin is probably sensible.

And with such a bad "backseat" driver(whom I'm surprised isn't a woman), I'm surprised he didn't bin it in a fit.

I would guess that he had several warm up laps before the video went on. In all honesty the ring is a beast of a track. It's more like a rally section than the average 1 -3 minute/lap track.

As for the commentary, I think taking the Mick out of the driver, is a legal requirement.

There is footage somewhere on the net (it was one of the most vied on the Boxter owners club forum) of me & a mate doing laps of the ring in his Boxter.

The best bit of our footage, was an out take where he did a perfect 360 @ 110mph across one of the bigger bends. My commentary; laughing fiercely, while the car was spinning; 'Yeah, 110, go right, right, right, hard on the breaks,,, now,, now,,,,, he's spun it! Nice one! He's 360'd it at over the ton! Next lap we'll have to do it at 120! Straight out of the Kamikaze School of Driving's hand book, go on mate! You plum, you needed to be further on the right & brake earlier'. I then pan the camera onto his face as we both open the windows (to vent smoke from the tires), to see that he's as white as a sheet. :D Camera back to the speedo & we are still clocking 100mph, 'ahhhhhh, that probably cost yas 10 seconds, have another go. Come on mate, back on the horse, floor it, people 'll think you are looking for a parking space.............etc. etc.'

He was gutted that I clocked better than him. First it was his car, second, at the time I did very little car driving (let alone racing) & met him over their on my bike, to show him what a proper quick lap was. :D (On the bike, not in his car)

As he videoed my quickest lap (over a minute quicker than his best :D ), he slagged off every breaking & turning point. Like I say, it's mandatory. ;)

I then went onto shave another minue off that best car time, with the first lap on my bike. ;) No, not because bikes are quicker than cars, I'm just quicker on a bike than I ever will be in a car. :D (And a Boxter ain't all that quick :( )

Greg.

1, He spun it at the Ring?

2, You need either big balls to push that hard, or big wallets.

1, Yeah, a perfect 360! Not deliberate you understand & pretty fluky as we were breaking for a bend at 110. Although we momentarily left the tarmac, he did keep it going in the right direction, only losing 10mph! There was so much smoke off the tires, it was like a fog had descended. He probably covered about 300m, while the car did the full pirouette! As said, look hard enough & you'll probably find the footage. I kept it on file for years but ditched it when I recently pruned my hard file.

2, A bit of both really. I guess you need a few quid for a brand new Boxter, well about £42k, at the time. & big 'Balls' or a little brain to drive it from the UK to Germany to race against me on a bike!

Any how, it was all good fun & no one got hurt. :D

Greg.

2, A bit of both really. I guess you need a few quid for a brand new Boxter, well about £42k, at the time. & big 'Balls' or a little brain to drive it from the UK to Germany to race against me on a bike!

Any how, it was all good fun & no one got hurt. :D

Greg.

Oh its not just the cost of damages to the car I had in mind. A crash would result in the driver responsible having to pay for recovery costs, track closure costs and armco repair cost. One incident I heard ended up costing the guy €15000 for those costs alone.

Greg, you're right, you really do have the best stories.

Thank you,,,,,,,,, I think. :unsure:

I'm afraid they are poor recollections, of the colorful events, that are my life. :D

I have both the 'Living Legend' medal & the 'Been There, Done That' T-shirt.

I do realise they are not the 'norm' & understand any skepticism.

Unfortunately, I was born with that novelty seeking gene, so, 9-5, a wife, kids & mortgage, was never going to happen. 'No Fear'!

I plan to continue as long as I can but unfortunately, repetition is a bore. Finding new challenges becomes ever harder & as you get older things take longer to heal........... Actually, they just never heal. Once over 30, if you wake up, & nothing hurts,,,,,,,,,,, you have actually died in the night & gone to heaven. This kind of grinds you down. You think, yeah, I'd like to do that & I'm fit enough But if I get, YET another injury, that will bug me when it's cold................

I should write a book really. It would probably go in the fiction section, as you really wouldn't believe most of it. & I can't write. :D The stuff that goes on Arnies is the 'legal' stuff, vaguely related to the other posts. Not too off topic.

For instance, I'd never admit on an open forum, to having to dump a perfectly good parachute canopy, whilst running away from the police in Hyde Park, having just jumped the Hilton. :huh:

Or, the ###### poor planning, that meant scaling Nelsons Column, with the intention of jumping it, only to realise that the 60m length of climbing rope was still touching the floor, indicating that the column was too short to successfully allow canopy inflation! He's about 12' tall you know. I always wondered why I would have been the first.

& attaching a 100m rope to an anchor point on top of Canary Wharf, clipping in with a fig 8, chucking the rope off & watching as it unraveled, only reaching about half way down the building. :rolleyes: Oops, longer rope next time. :D

No, unfortunately, I can't admit to that sort of stuff, or they might lock me up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, again. As for community service,,,,,,,,, now that truly is punishment.

The thing is, when you do these things, you are surrounded & encouraged by others, who think & do the same. So, in effect, you believe that this is, normal. :huh:

Live your life, pay the mortgage, dream about base jumping in Norway, cave diving in Mexico & snow boarding Mt Blanc. :P

Fit in, it's a lot less painful. :mellow:

& strangely, despite not thinking for one minute, I would see my 26th birthday, I'm still here. I'll probably die a slow horrible cancerous death, like everyone else. :o

Greg.

One incident I heard ended up costing the guy €15000 for those costs alone.

That sort of thing doesn't go through my mind. Ever. :D

Focusing on that, I'm surprised you can make it out of the house, let alone to the port, on the ferry & down the autobahn.

Speaking of autobahns, on that particular journey I was 'cruising' at 165mph & some guy in a 'saloon' car went past me so fast, it wasn't even worth trying to catch up. It was so quick, I couldn't even tell you what car it was, other than having a boot & being a dark colour, possibly blue! :huh:

Greg.

That sort of thing doesn't go through my mind. Ever. :D

Focusing on that, I'm surprised you can make it out of the house, let alone to the port, on the ferry & down the autobahn.

Speaking of autobahns, on that particular journey I was 'cruising' at 165mph & some guy in a 'saloon' car went past me so fast, it wasn't even worth trying to catch up. It was so quick, I couldn't even tell you what car it was, other than having a boot & being a dark colour, possibly blue! :huh:

Greg.

Back when I was racing I have gone into tyre walls pretty heavily. Once a trackside advertising signage frame fell onto my head after a slide into the tyre barriers. I'd gone out on slicks in the wet you see, as part of the training in vehicle control.

If you were on an autobahn, it was probably Brabus out testing their project cars.

Back when I was racing I have gone into tyre walls pretty heavily. Once a trackside advertising signage frame fell onto my head after a slide into the tyre barriers. I'd gone out on slicks in the wet you see, as part of the training in vehicle control.

If you were on an autobahn, it was probably Brabus out testing their project cars.

I tell ya this, it was fast with a capital F, well over 200 in my estimation, possibly 60mph faster than I was. Definitely not a sports car, so you are probably right, nothing else fits the bill. I kind of thought they would 'test' stuff on tracks though?

I fell off so many bikes it was untrue, wrote 3 fzr600's off, the year they came out. But never while racing. Saw a good few go down mind. :P

I was relatively lucky, the worse was 11/1/'92. I still remember the date :rolleyes: . I was 'running in' an FZR1000, in it's final stages, 7,000rpm, 120mph, fell off, hit the floor & a roundabout. (I thought it was raining but it turned out to be sleet. :rolleyes: )

From the bottom to the top, in that one accident, I broke:

Left patella.

Pelvis around the right hip in 9 places.

Right scapula.

Right humerus.

3rd, 4th & 5, left hand metacarpals.

Left hand hamate, capitate, trapezium & lunate.

Left hand lower mandible, taking out several molars & a section of the back of my tung.

Egg shell fracture to the back of the skull.

Bruised most of the internals so bad, I didn't poo right for a month. Did a lot of throwing up, which was rich with blood & really hurt. Spleen don't work any more, which causes all sorts of problems but they 'don't want to open me up until they have to'.

I was knocked out for 25 mins, after the initial impact, & woke up paralyzed from the waist down, which, thank god, was caused by a swollen/misaligned disk & was gone by the morning. They had to scrape me up & tape me to a board for the ambulance journey.

Enough x-rays to prop your bed up & more plaster than Windsor Castle. A year's phisio to walk properly, months of dental work & speech therapy to learn to talk.

I was back on a bike (in plaster) within 2 weeks. Mind you, I couldn't get it up for 6 months & every time I saw an ambulance for a year, I burst into tears.

Learned my lesson, March that year I bought a YZF750, & never rode 'thousands' again, until the R1 came out. :D

I still wake up to reminders. The left hand is the worse. Things just hurt for no particular reason. & there's the deafness in the right ear that comes & goes, along with the odd migraine & slight loss of eye sight in the right eye.

All part of getting on. :(

But, I'll still whoop the *albatross* of the average, 'wrap me up in cotton wool, playstation generation, nanny state, 18 year old', in a fist fight! :D

Greg.

I am very suprised no one overtook him.

Greg.

Judging by the way he was moving backwards and forwards across the track, under instruction from his passenger, I doubt anybody could've got past if they'd wanted to.

Seriously, I hope the driver was checking his mirrors before doing that stuff because using the "racing line" on the 'ring is a great way to annoy the fast boys and, possibly, get yourself into trouble with the law.

I tell ya this, it was fast with a capital F, well over 200 in my estimation, possibly 60mph faster than I was. Definitely not a sports car, so you are probably right, nothing else fits the bill. I kind of thought they would 'test' stuff on tracks though?

Tracks are seldom long and gentle enough for them to reach V-Max. Brabus is famed for doing their top speed runs on the A-Bahn.

There is a good story about a German bike tuning house out running a couple of tuned up R1s or RSXes on the A-Bahn, when a black S-class shoots by. The riders immediately opened out max throttle to try to catch it, but simply could not do so. Few miles later, they saw the same S-class in a lay by, and pulled in to ask what it was. What it was, is a full-on Brabus SV12, if my memory of the tale is right.

Shock and awe and all that.

I didn't mean race tracks, I meant test tracks.

Greg.

Same. Simply not long enough for V-max testing. Hence the use of the autobahn. High speed ovals with banked corners can be used too, but some allowance will have to be made for the degree of banking and curvature, thus there often are debates when claimed top speeds calculated from high speed oval runs are made.

Same. Simply not long enough for V-max testing. Hence the use of the autobahn. High speed ovals with banked corners can be used too, but some allowance will have to be made for the degree of banking and curvature, thus there often are debates when claimed top speeds calculated from high speed oval runs are made.

Oh, right. :)

Greg.

Archived