Stippling

Danke

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You did it to ladder panels? Rofl. The tip looks awesome though.

Here's my stippled XTM's, as everyone should have seen now XD:

IMG_4147.jpg

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

In-progress pic, not completely stippled:

IMG_0451.jpg

My stippling craze originated from this post build on AR15.com:

PICT1132a.jpg

Glock Frame:

IMG_0457.jpg

PMAG:

IMG_0614.jpg

USP-C:

IMG_0580.jpg

Honestly, random stippling is best for smaller equipment, while stippling for pistols/larger projects require a good-looking pattern. Although both the Glock frame and USP have very rough grips now, it just doesn't look very aesthetically appealing anymore.

You did it to ladder panels? Rofl. The tip looks awesome though.

Here's my stippled XTM's, as everyone should have seen now XD:

In-progress pic, not completely stippled:

Glock Frame:

PMAG:

USP-C:

Honestly, random stippling is best for smaller equipment, while stippling for pistols/larger projects require a good-looking pattern. Although both the Glock frame and USP have very rough grips now, it just doesn't look very aesthetically appealing anymore.

Pictars of the tip?

Is this only for plastics? Because I stipple wood.

umbrella1.jpg

Used a large 4" nail with the tip coned and rounded and a ball peen hammer. To get an even randomness (if you just go full random, you're likely to miss some spots and have to do them over again) I partition the area in smaller segments first then go in small spiraling movements until the segment is done, then I proceed to the next segment.

Wood's welcome too.

I think this is a great customize your gear project. Making the big jump to going over a pistol frame from rails covers or grips means jumping in the deep water but it's still a project the average guy can take on at home.

Is this only for plastics? Because I stipple wood.

Used a large 4" nail with the tip coned and rounded and a ball peen hammer.

Another method for wood or metal is using a spring loaded center punch.

Rather simple, push down until it punches a dimple. Repeat, many times.

Now that's a damn good idea - Those grips look really nice. Take it you re-varnished and suchlike afterwards? Very nice finish.

Thanks. Process is after fine sanding the stock, you do the stippling. Stain, then put the inlay or medallion, and put a light coat of varnish. You can apply more on the smooth area depending on how glossy you want them to be but you wouldn't want to put any more than two light coats on the stippled area as it tends to fill in the dimples.

Can't do pics but I have 'stippled' 2 vsr stocks.

I tried to copy the current pattern on Remington composite stocks. I drew the outline on in pencil & used a standard chisel tip.

Took about an hour to do each one. Worth while doing as it looks & feels great.

On the first one, I made the mistake of polishing it down a little with wire wool. This removed a bit of the friction but still looks ok.

Greg.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived