Revenge.

Reincarnation...

There is a cheeky camera in a dip in the road near me, it is quite steep and long (it is a struggle to stay under 30 in a car, even rolling down the hill in second with no gas will take you over 30).

I just pelted down the hill (overtaking cars) and went through the bottom and saw the flashes.

I got stopped by the police when I was 12 for speeding on a bike after coming down the glen near the school I was at, 40ish, certainly the limit of the gearing.

Awesomesauce.

The fastest I have ever been on a bike was 68mph on a ski slope in summer on a specially prepared mountain bike.

I got 68 on the run before I stacked it and broke my back (a bit).

Holy moly.

That trumps me.

Well done & hope the back's ok.

Greg.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fine.

There are a load of bony spikes that protrude off the vertibra called processes.

They anchor the muscles that attach to the spine.

All that happened is that I snapped one off.

Really sore but healed up nicely.

I'm glad to hear it.

Greg.

Never bame the clampers, they are just simple folk trying to pay the mortgage. They are non-skilled & on the whole disadvantaged & exploited.

Blame the legislators who bought the law in that supports this.

Blame the land owner, that employs the clamper.

Blame yourself, if you park illegally. Yes I know 'they' position their signs in hard to find places but you know when you are parking somewhere dodgy. <_<

Disagree. Certainly some of them go too far. Like clamping postal vehicles and even ambulances. Some are decent folk trying to make a living, some are less than scrupulous. Like my parking story earlier. You keep hinting about "parking somewhere dodgy" and I'm not sure if you're just jesting, but I parked in what was obviously a parking area for the apartment block I was visiting. The alternative is to park on the road, which, while legal, partially obstructs what was an already narrow street.

Anyways, the legal precedence is that if the signposting is inadequate, the parking companies will lose if the case goes to court. If they had proper signposting and I saw it, I would have gone park on the street instead.

There is a cheeky camera in a dip in the road near me, it is quite steep and long (it is a struggle to stay under 30 in a car, even rolling down the hill in second with no gas will take you over 30).

I just pelted down the hill (overtaking cars) and went through the bottom and saw the flashes.

I got stopped by the police when I was 12 for speeding on a bike after coming down the glen near the school I was at, 40ish, certainly the limit of the gearing.

Awesomesauce.

The fastest I have ever been on a bike was 68mph on a ski slope in summer on a specially prepared mountain bike.

I got 68 on the run before I stacked it and broke my back (a bit).

Heh funky. I'm sure 40 downhill on road bikes can't be hard. I can max out at 30 on my mountain bike on level roads.

Aw his site no longer seems to be available. I'd like his hotline. Wonder if he's still in business?

Fair enuf, clamping does prevent illegal parking that causes obstruction, but at the other end of the scale, when its purposely used to make a quick buck by preying on unsuspecting motorists, that crosses the line. We need people like him to fight unfair clamping practices just like we need clampers to fight inconsiderate motorists who would selfishly inconvenience other road users for their own sake.

Heh funky. I'm sure 40 downhill on road bikes can't be hard. I can max out at 30 on my mountain bike on level roads.

That's not bad going. With a mtb, on the flat, I cruise at about 18. 25 flat out. I live on one of West London's most notorious hills & can only get 45 on the racer, 37 on the mtb.

When its late at night, and I can go anywhere because my car's locked up, I'm not calling a guy in leotards with an anglegrinder to come help me. What if he wants to be thanked :unsure:

:lol:

Disagree. Certainly some of them go too far. Like clamping postal vehicles and even ambulances. Some are decent folk trying to make a living, some are less than scrupulous.

kinda agree with this. at the end of the day it wont come out of their pocket to give you a bit of leeway. same for any parking fines, i've got back to my car as a parking attendant was sticking a ticket under my wiper (this was literally a few minutes after my pay and display expired) and he insisted on fining me. FFS i was a only few minutes late and it wasnt going to hurt him to let me get away with it, some parking attendants etc really do seem to get off on being complete *rickrolls*.

whether their paycheck arrives or not doesnt entirely rest on whether they clamp/fine you as soon as physically possible.

kinda agree with this. at the end of the day it wont come out of their pocket to give you a bit of leeway. same for any parking fines, i've got back to my car as a parking attendant was sticking a ticket under my wiper (this was literally a few minutes after my pay and display expired) and he insisted on fining me. FFS i was a only few minutes late and it wasnt going to hurt him to let me get away with it, some parking attendants etc really do seem to get off on being complete *rickrolls*.

whether their paycheck arrives or not doesnt entirely rest on whether they clamp/fine you as soon as physically possible.

I can't & wouldn't like to speak for all clampers/parking attendants but in the case of some, their pay packet is directly affected by how many folk they nab.

They are judged on their performance & in this case it's black & white, no gray.

While I understand that we have diverse opinion (& respect yours) on this, I think this is down to the rules, not the enforcers.

If the rules said you had a 5 minute period of grace, I would agree with you but when you are given specific parameters, you only have yourself to blame. Frustrating though it may be.

You can always appeal & if the attendant is found to be out of order, you will not be fined. In this case, you are quite at liberty to call the attendant a *rickroll*, otherwise, he/she's just a guy/gal, doing their job.

Greg.

this was some time ago. i just paid the fine., as i know technically i was in the wrong, he was just being an awkward cock trying to make my day a bit worse IMO.

fair enough if your statement about parking attendants salaries being based on how many people they sting is based on fact, but it sure seems unfair and unrealistic to me. surely their pay packets cant be based on entirely external factors, i wouldn't think they could penalise their employees for other people parking correctly. in a sales based job it's understandable to give a bonus for every sale made as the sales person has a pretty much equal chance of making the sale every time. parking attendants only get the opportunity to hand out fines whenever people overstay the limit or park incorrectly, which is a pretty much random event.

this was some time ago. i just paid the fine., as i know technically i was in the wrong, he was just being an awkward cock trying to make my day a bit worse IMO.

fair enough if your statement about parking attendants salaries being based on how many people they sting is based on fact, but it sure seems unfair and unrealistic to me. surely their pay packets cant be based on entirely external factors, i wouldn't think they could penalise their employees for other people parking correctly. in a sales based job it's understandable to give a bonus for every sale made as the sales person has a pretty much equal chance of making the sale every time. parking attendants only get the opportunity to hand out fines whenever people overstay the limit or park incorrectly, which is a pretty much random event.

In the case of parking attendants, the funding either comes from the government, the fines or a combination of both. Most employees, have a 'quota' as both incentive & a way to check that they are actually doing their job.

In the case of Clampers, which are always private operations, funds are usually generated by release fees. It is rare that they are not. Thus, operators wages are directly effected by the amount of fees they collect. Often they are sole traders, or contracted to small organisations. Either way, the only source of income is release fees.

This can mean a quick buck in a target rich environment, with a high release fee or absolutely no money at all, if no one parks inappropriately.

In the case of the guise I know, they work one clamp at a time & a relatively small area. They are self employed. They will wait & observe an area until someone parks inappropriately & watch them leave the vehicle. They will then clamp it & wait for the 'offender' to return. Upon return, they will observe the offender, waiting for 'the call'. The reason they wait, is so that they can make sure the clamp (their property) is not vandalized. If it is, they video this as evidence & take the vandaliser to court, for criminal damage. This works to encourage folk not to try & remove the clamps, as they will successfully sue for loss of earnings & a new clamp, as well as the offender getting a criminal record. This is great for them. It means a paid holiday (at the offenders expense), while they wait for a new clamp to be delivered.

Some days they can make as much as a few grand, other times they will sit in the car for weeks waiting for someone to park illegally.

Knowing this, I give the following advice:

Don't park illegally. If clampers have no offenders, they will go out of business & 'clamping' as we know it, will become a thing of the past.

Remember, you are not getting fined for parking, you are being charged a release fee. If there is no clamp on your car, you can't be charged. Make sure their are no witnesses, before using an angle grinder to remove the clamp & blaming an anti clamper vigilante. You are breaking the law by doing this, 'criminal damage'.

If you have been clamped, leave it as long as you can, before appearing at your vehicle & making the release call. If asked, deny being related to the vehicle until you want it released. The clampers will not be able to use the clamp on another vehicle, while it is on yours. The release fee will remain the same up to a specified time, usually 24 hours, so you might as well get your moneys worth, knowing you are depriving the clampers of opportunity to get someone else.

If you leave it long enough, there is a slim possibility, that they will remove the clamp, to use it on another vehicle. If this happens, get in your car quick & drive away.

Be careful about this, check out the signs, as after a certain period, they may have your car removed & the fee's will increase.

Be aware, smart clampers may carry many clamps, video surveillance equipment & professional cutting tools/jacks etc.

They are thick skinned, 'handy' & used to more abuse & threats than you can imagine. They are neither bright or polite & only motivated by the money.

Greg.

Archived