Trademarks

Magazines

Performance

Internals

Modifications

Pros/Cons

Overall

Ordering:

I purchased this gun from airsoft global, but it can be found at most overseas retailers. It should not be too long before you will be able find it in a US store. it will run you about $280-$310usd

Basic Gun Information

The WE PDW is a full metal gas blow back carbine produced by WE.

First impressions/Packaging:

The gun arrived in a plain old cardboard box. It did not even have a box of its own. The gun was wrapped carefully in bubble wrap and packing tape, but I could not help but feeling a little disappointed. (for that kind of money I expected better) non the less, it did not seem any worse for wear.

Included:

The entire package includes the gun, one full metal real cap m4 mag*, one metal internal real cap pdw mag, front and rear iron sights, a very nice flash hider , a crappy orange flash hider, manual, and a speed loader. * not all stores will include two mags.

Gun Specifications:

Weight: About 4.8 lbs

Length: 28.5" (19" with stock folded)

Width: 2.25" (at cocking handle)

Height: 7" (sights folded)

Externals:

Externally this gun is beautiful, full metal with nice trades. The gun feels very solid when shouldered. No wobble at in in the stock, which is unexpected because its foldable.

The stock release button is full metal. They must have learned some thing from the scar, so there shouldn't be a problem in that breaking.

The pistol grip seems a little bit two square in my hand, but its not noticeable uncomfortable. It also does not match the real steal guns pistol grip.

DSC_0297.jpg

Trademarks:

WE did a very good job with the trades on this gun. It included real Knight Armament Co. trademarks.

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg

Magazines:

The magazine is one thing that I have mixed feelings about, the fact that the pdw mag is plastic is a downer, but I think it looks better then the M4 mag. Both PDW mags and M4 mags work in this gun. (a fact I am very pleased with)

I did notice that the M4 mag seems to slide in easier then the PDW mag.

Performance:

coming soon. (Its to cold outside to test today)

Internals:

Internally the PDW is very similar to the WE SCAR. The PDW uses the same air nozzle and piston, the same hop up, and a similar trigger mech.

Being a GBB, there is really not a whole lot that you can upgrade on it internally.

Modifications:

Since it functions at such a high FPS, most users would probably want to ad the MPAS kit produced by RA-Tech so you can adjust the fps.

Pros:

Fairly cheap for a GBB

Full metal construction

Light weight

Solid

Two mags included

Cons:

Not extremely accurate

mags cost an arm and a leg

pistol grip not realistic

Overall:

I am very pleased with this gun. It has a very solid feel and yet is still light weight. Great gun for close quarters, not so great for distance. Overall I give it an 8 out of 10 rating.

DSC_0299.jpg

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That thing looks great. You might also want to mention that the notorious WE brass tube isn't visible when the ejection port is open.

Also, check to see what parts are made of steel and which ones are pot metal. Especially the internal parts. Steel parts are vital in GBBRs since there are a ton of moving mechanical parts which wear out inevitably.

-Luis

Edited by Luis21
So you shot it indoors? And it wasn't accurate? Ouch.

I have a rather long hallway I took shots down. I guesstimated longer ranges and performance from that. (It can be and probably is off) I will get more precise results when the weather permits (its 10 degrees outside)

I am definately getting this gun. How did Airsoft Global cover the trademarks? Does the pistol grip have a KAC medallion?

The trades were covered in tape, extremely easy to remove. On the pistol grip in my pics, you can see the shiny silver surface. those are actually KAC medallions. The flash from my camera reflected all the light back so you cant see the logo. Those medallions have to be put on by the user, they come in the box and are sticky on one side.

I spoke to RATECH and have ordered there custom version pretty good for $430 shipped to the UK with 2 mags i think.

They also said they only have the Firing pin/vale lock upgrade available as i spoke to them about weak internal trigger parts. Are there other companys that make the better internal parts?

I've been shopping around and I see that your gun came with 2 mags. How much did it cost/shipped to the USA and how long did it take? There are price differences with whether one gets trademarks or not. Also, some of the retailors include only ONE magazine. Shipping may take up 2 months for the cheapest method and I just don't think i want to wait that long!!!! thanx.

Does the trigger group material look to be made of a different material than that of the M4/SCAR? Can you post pics of the PDW's insides?

Curious about this as well. It seems the majority of complaints from past WE releases have centered around lousy materials for the trigger group. As far as I am concerned this is the last strike. If they swing and miss here they've really proved themselves incompetent or at least incapable of supplying a dependable product. I think the majority of users would be willing to pay an extra $75 for the piece of mind that the inclusion of high quality materials would provide.

Granted, all of these guns are subject to issues due to wear and tear, but by starting out with the highest quality parts a manufacturer definitively proves their commitment to the market they serve. If the KWA GBBR's provide a marked increase in reliability then they will likely dominate the market.

That being said, I'm really rooting hard for this to be a great gun but will dismiss the brand entirely if the same issues pop up.

Edited by DiscoBiscuit

TBH The material is no worse than the materials from your average GBB pistol or GBB SMG. Its mostly design issue, materials only play a small but significant part of it.

While better materials will fix the issue, a better design would've minimised the wear also.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n
Granted, all of these guns are subject to issues due to wear and tear, but by starting out with the highest quality parts a manufacturer definitively proves their commitment to the market they serve. If the KWA GBBR's provide a marked increase in reliability then they will likely dominate the market.

TBH the same could be said to KWA GBBR's and they are not even out yet. They are based on a poor system, unless they radically change the underlying system to be uber awesome ( which not even Ino could do till now ) i don't know how KWA GBBR's could dominate anything, specially so late on the game. I mean, just look at KJW/Tanio Koba and their GBBR's, technically they are VERY good but still there are way more WA and WE new owners than KJW ones.

KWA will have a VERY tough road ahead cause not only there are 2 big companies already well established on the market but more companies will release the "same" product at the same time, and more importantly some of them actually hold a better status on the market ( like RS ).

If it proves right that not only they are based on the WA system AND that they changed the parts to be incompatible with WA ones, i SERIOUSLY doubt that they will dominate even KJW ... I mean, the biggest advantage that WA holds right now is the HUGE aftermarket part assortment that you can find for their platform and KWA will just throw that way ...

Anyway ... offtopic off

I've been shopping around and I see that your gun came with 2 mags. How much did it cost/shipped to the USA and how long did it take? There are price differences with whether one gets trademarks or not. Also, some of the retailors include only ONE magazine. Shipping may take up 2 months for the cheapest method and I just don't think i want to wait that long!!!! thanx.

$75 from airsoft global. Took 4 days to get here. (South Dakota) Global does not say that It comes with two mags, but I was pleasantly astonished.

About the trigger mech, it appears to be solid and I have had no problem thus far. But time will tell I guess. So far I am very pleased.

Thanks for the trigger group pictures. :) I'll pass on this and save my $270 to purchase KWA's GBB M4. I could already see myself buying (or scavenging for spare parts online) for this after a couple of months of usage. Looks nice, but all previous WE's I have owned have been nothing but headaches and problems.

They are based on a poor system, unless they radically change the underlying system to be uber awesome...

If it proves right that not only they are based on the WA system AND that they changed the parts to be incompatible with WA ones...

You've written the above in the same response. You seem to be contradicting yourself in that you state the KWA is based on a poor system yet you admit that you don't know what that system is. I don't know what it is either, all I'm saying is that if it is reliable they will do well. 'Dominate' was a poor choice of words on my part.

Also, they seem to have a better reputation than either WE or KJW, the two current alternatives to WA. If KWA can supply a reliable product with solid aftermarket support they have an edge. Being a late-comer into a relatively new but fragmented market is often a large advantage providing you have a superior product (because the market has already been established!); there's no denying there is a large segment of the market postponing their purchase until something better comes along or looking for a better alternative to a purchase they have already made. Until VFC or RS can exhibit a functional model they are not relevant.

Anyway, like I said, I'm rooting for the PDW as I prefer the growing variety of WE offerings and their notable willingness to listen to the market.

Edited by DiscoBiscuit
They are based on a poor system, unless they radically change the underlying system to be uber awesome...

If it proves right that not only they are based on the WA system AND that they changed the parts to be incompatible with WA ones...

You've written the above in the same response. You seem to be contradicting yourself in that you state the KWA is based on a poor system yet you admit that you don't know what that system is. I don't know what it is either, all I'm saying is that if it is reliable they will do well. 'Dominate' was a poor choice of words on my part.

here's no denying there is a large segment of the market postponing their purchase until something better comes along or looking for a better alternative to a purchase they have already made. Until VFC or RS can exhibit a functional model they are not relevant.

Anyway, like I said, I'm rooting for the PDW as I prefer the growing variety of WE offerings and their notable willingness to listen to the market.

Read my post carefully ... i said "IF what is being said is true" because you should know that all we have is information form 3rd party's, we don't have any KWA official confirmation so until then i will just speculate. THAT's why i said in that tone, i never said "i don't know what the system is", don't put words in my mouth please ;)

You misread what i wrote again, i said "IF they confirm that they are WA based ( almost sure ) AND they also confirm that they made the design to be incompatible with WA parts" .. again we don't have any official confirmation about this issue from KWA and as such i will continue to use a "if X is confirm" type of approach.

there's no denying there is a large segment of the market postponing their purchase until something better comes along or looking for a better alternative to a purchase they have already made. Until VFC or RS can exhibit a functional model they are not relevant.

Where did you got this inside info ..? Anyway, KWA hasn't a any more "functional" model than that any of the manufacturers you referred ...

I don't really care if people buy the KWA when it gets out since knowing myself i will buy one too ( if not just to review/test it ), but putting my trust and say that it's the next best thing after sliced bred when not only it isn't out yet and specially since it's almost confirmed ( correctly enough now ? ) that is based on a flawed platform isn't very logical for me :huh:

Read my post carefully ...

Look Danny, I''m sure your English is better than my Portuguese, but your reading comprehension skills are writing checks that your posts can't cash. If your entire reply is based on speculation why bother posting it with such hostility? Of course you don't know what the system is, which is why your reply is peppered with 'ifs' and 'unless's'. I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm simply repeating what you already stated. Do you know what the system is? No, you do not because no one else knows either. Your speculation confirms the fact that you don't know what it is (you say the system is 'almost confirmed': please provide references). Can you dig that? It's not a bad thing that you don't know, lighten up.

Where did I get my inside info.? From the same speculative stratosphere where you have pulled all of your 'ifs' as well as your assertion that KJW's aren't selling as much as the other brands. Do you have access to these companies sales figures? If so can you forward the details to me?

I'll make my point again, and in deference to you, I'll make it even simpler. I did not say the KWA will be the best thing since sliced 'bred', I said if it is more reliable than current offerings it will be very popular. Are you diggin' it yet?

One more thing: KWA doesn't have a 'more functional model' you say? Is KWA's video a fake? What's your definition of 'more functional'? A shell at a trade show or a video depicting a gun actually shooting?

Anyway, I love Portugal, I stayed at the Pousada in Setubal for a few nights on my honeymoon.

Obrigado

P.S. How about that WE PDW?

Edited by DiscoBiscuit
Where did I get my inside info.? From the same speculative stratosphere where you have pulled all of your 'ifs' as well as your assertion that KJW's aren't selling as much as the other brands. Do you have access to these companies sales figures? If so can you forward the details to me?

I'll make my point again, and in deference to you, I'll make it even simpler. I did not say the KWA will be the best thing since sliced 'bred', I said if it is more reliable than current offerings it will be very popular. Are you diggin' it yet?

One more thing: KWA doesn't have a 'more functional model' you say? Is KWA's video a fake? What's your definition of 'more functional'? A shell at a trade show or a video depicting a gun actually shooting?

Anyway, I love Portugal, I stayed at the Pousada in Setubal for a few nights on my honeymoon.

Obrigado

P.S. How about that WE PDW?

Well i guess my english isn't the best on the world but to my knowledge, not knowing for sure ( cause there hasn't been any official confirmation directly from KWA ) is NOT the same as being completely oblivious to what system it is using. If you actually wasted some time following both the Shotshow and KWA's '10 line-up threads right here on Arnies, you would see/know the same info i'm "sharing" splattered all over the place, is everyone else getting the same info from the collective rectum ? Don't think so ...

And although i did not went myself to Shotshow personally, i know more than one person who was there physically and gave me some addicional info. I even have pictures ( not necessarily from KWA ) that you can't find anywhere on the web, wanna check ?

Then you get all pissy because i'm speculating but yet you're doing the same. How does that even make sense to you ? I'm not an Oxford scholar with a Degree in English but to me, if anyone is lacking on comprehension/reading skills is actually you .. and english is supposed to be your mother tongue.

Ya dig ? This is starting to get into a pissing contest so i'll stop here and focus on the original thread.

Has anyone compared the PDW fire selector against the M series one ? I was starting to make the drawings to build one myself but if they're interchangeable that would just be a waste of time and money.