• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took my closed-bolt PDW (RA-tech NPAS,, stinger, barrel) out for a test this past weekend, and the BBs were hooking wildly to the left. Then the nozzle snapped.

So I'm ordering the open bolt kit (short) and conversion kits for all my M4 mags. Is there a consensus on the "best" inner barrel for the short open bolt?

The Prometheus TB made specifically for it ? :D

Hey guys, just wanted to share with you my first experience with my newly purchased AFC/WE PDW Open Bolt GBBR!

It is AWESOME!

That's all there is to it... Unlike my WE G39C, which was also awesome (but...), the PDW did not overhop/overshoot. It was dead on target after some windage adjustment. Only shot it at 5M though but man, it was great. I got 2x M4 style mags and 4x PDW mags, all GAS. I didnt use the M4 mags but the PDW mags fit ALOT better in the gun than the M4 did and they just felt better overall. At first I had some problems because I didnt gas the mags enough, kind of hard to know when they are full, but once I got that down it was firing without issues at all. Shooting ICS Black 0.25g BBs. Like I said only shot 8 mags @ 5M distance but I am not dissappointed at all.

Accuracy was very good. From my 5M in semi I hit a circle of 1" and in full auto it spread to about 3-4".

:D

okay so i just got a we pdw open bolt today and absolutely love it. its very accurate and an overall great gun. only problemm..the magazine is a total pain to load. i mean i can only load it by hand. i rele dont wanna do that for 5 mags. the speed loader for the gun and a regular speed loader do not work. it seems you have to load the bbsthrew the front of mag lip on the mag instead of the top of the mag lip like how youwould with a stanard midcap in an aeg. if that makes any sense does anyone have any recomendations or ideas on a faster way to load the "open bolt" mag? please help.

I found the easiest way to load open bolt mags is using a speed loader with the attachment thingy like below:

l0t7p9.jpg

Edited by a4andy

Anyone have any recommendations for new bucking and possibly a tightbore barrel for the long open bolt version.

The promy one that was specifically made for this gun is for the short version :(

I was also thinking about getting this:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ra-tech-n-p-a-s-open-bolt-carrier-for-we-open-bolt-system-pdw.html

So I can adjust the FPS for CQB play or outdoor field play, anyone tried this?

The RA-tech bolt is pretty good overall. It allows quick disassembly which is always handy.

The NPAS however creates weak blowsback and even with the adjustment on high power its still weaker than the stock floating valve.

Also the NPAS valve power adjustment changes as the recoil unscrews the valve. On newer NPAS valves, RA-tech put an O-ring into the threads but as soon as you adjust the O-ring wears out.

There is an NPAS modification guide somewhere online to up the max power/increase blowback while still retaining ability to adjust down to 250fps.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my NPAS bolt carrier a few days ago, but sadly they forgot to include the tool to adjust the NPAS.

Anyone know what kind of tool it is so I can find a homemade solution until I get them to send me one?

Also, I ended up buying a King Arms bucking, and Firefly bucking (both HARD). Firefly is much easier to install, The KA one was SO hard (the rubber was insanely hard compared to the stock and ff one)! It was a pain to get on the barrel. I havent had time to field it with the new bucking, but the firefly one seems to be a lot better, the KA one kept flying right after around 125 feet or so. Maybe it wasn't on the barrel correctly, but whatever, im sticking to the firefly hard.

I just picked up a WE PDW this last week, and so far i love it. I've had a few parts on it break so far, but nothing too major, and everything is pretty much fixed now.

I had the stock hinge break, and I will be fixing that shortly.

The bolt catch wasn't working, but i did the heat shrink modification like someone else in the thread did, and it works properly now

And both of my mags leaked, but those were both fixed too

I've played a few rounds with it so far, and i love it. It has pretty good range and accuracy for its size, and it is 10x more fun to play with than any of my aeg's. The only problem ive noticed while playing is that on auto, the gas gets cold pretty quickly, so using auto or even bursting on auto is pretty useless. But the gun is so crisp and quick on single that it doesnt matter much.

Heres some pics of mine with an RVG and rep. eotech. The mag in the pics is just for show, since my mags were being worked on when i took the pics.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Overall this gun is awesome for its size and price, i'm glad i bought it

Is there any publicly avaliable instructions on how to get your WE mags into PMAG shells or are there still people out there withholding that information to make moneyz off of it ?

By the way, love the looks of your PDW :D

Edited by NonEx

Is there any publicly avaliable instructions on how to get your WE mags into PMAG shells or are there still people out there withholding that information to make moneyz off of it ?

By the way, love the looks of your PDW :D

From what i've read, you need to use a standard M4 mag internals to convert to a pmag, theres a picture a few pages back i think showing why i think. I haven't done the conversion, but it should be failry simple, at the most you'll need to dremel and drill a few holes to make them work.

On another note, does anyone know of a ambidextrous conversion for the bolt catch? I've head that the magpul BAD's don't work because of the wider upper receiver on the PDW, but i still want to have an ambi catch... Does anyone know of a solution?

On another note, does anyone know of a ambidextrous conversion for the bolt catch? I've head that the magpul BAD's don't work because of the wider upper receiver on the PDW, but i still want to have an ambi catch... Does anyone know of a solution?

I remember seeing someone able to get the Magpull BAD Lever on it with modification on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLGLNYIRSCY

Well I've just installed the open-bolt kit on mine and the fps w/.20g BBs droped from 435fps on the original AWSS system to 350fps with the open-bolt (on the firsts shots). Then it drops down close to 300fps at the end. It's on propane with the PDW mag and I'm inside at about 21°C. I saw a few posts on some forums of the WE PDW open-bolt shooting around 350fps so I don't think there's a problem with it. I've tested it before installing the NPAS system wich I ordered with it but really I don't think that it's even necessary since on a very warm day there's no real chance of it jumping all the way up to above 400fps (wich is our outdoor limit in Canada).

What do you guys think? Anybody else measured the fps with the open-bolt kit?

Edited by MrBond

Well I've just installed the open-bolt kit on mine and the fps w/.20g BBs droped from 435fps on the original AWSS system to 350fps with the open-bolt (on the firsts shots). Then it drops down close to 300fps at the end. It's on propane with the PDW mag and I'm inside at about 21°C. I saw a few posts on some forums of the WE PDW open-bolt shooting around 350fps so I don't think there's a problem with it. I've tested it before installing the NPAS system wich I ordered with it but really I don't think that it's even necessary since on a very warm day there's no real chance of it jumping all the way up to above 400fps (wich is our outdoor limit in Canada).

What do you guys think? Anybody else measured the fps with the open-bolt kit?

Did you do the teflon mod ? It REALLY helps with the FPS ( and their stability ). A good sealing hop up rubber will also help you stabilize/get a few more fps.

Well actually I want the fps to stay that way since it's just perfect. I tried another mag and the fps was steadier at 345-370 wich is even better. Since I'm not used to play in the summer with it yet, I'm just trying to figure out if the NPAS system is really worth it.

Well actually I want the fps to stay that way since it's just perfect. I tried another mag and the fps was steadier at 345-370 wich is even better. Since I'm not used to play in the summer with it yet, I'm just trying to figure out if the NPAS system is really worth it.

I bought the entire Bolt Carrier w/ NPAS Kit from RATECH's website and been having lots of problems.

First, they forgot to send out the key to adjust the FPS.

I emailed them, their customer service was very nice and sent one out free of charge.

Now that I finally get it today and super excited to test out my NPAS almost a month after my original order. I find out the tool doesnt even do squat. I disassembled the nozzle following a guide on their website just to find out the nozzle is just a stock nozzle. There is no NPAS kit installed install inside.

I just emailed them again, I'm getting quite annoyed :angry:

On the other hand, the bolt is very nice and the ability to quickly remove it without fiddling with that hook and spring on the stock bolt to take the bolt out is a definite plus.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the entire Bolt Carrier w/ NPAS Kit from RATECH's website and been having lots of problems.

First, they forgot to send out the key to adjust the FPS.

I emailed them, their customer service was very nice and sent one out free of charge.

Now that I finally get it today and super excited to test out my NPAS almost a month after my original order. I find out the tool doesnt even do squat. I disassembled the nozzle following a guide on their website just to find out the nozzle is just a stock nozzle. There is no NPAS kit installed install inside.

I just emailed them again, I'm getting quite annoyed :angry:

On the other hand, the bolt is very nice and the ability to quickly remove it without fiddling with that hook and spring on the stock bolt to take the bolt out is a definite plus.

How is the quality of the bolt itself? I broke off the little reinforcement piece for the bolt catch on my stock bolt and i'm hoping that the RA tech one might be re-enforced, or made of better material. I think i may just buy their bolt if its made out of better material or a better design.

Heres a reference pic of the area on my bolt that i'm talking about. The piece on the left is the part that broke

photo1-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So the consensus is that the ra-tech bolt carrier is of good quality ? I don't care about the NPAS and 350fps is just fine with me, if i want more power i'll just switch to my external rigged M4 and have all the power i want ( too much even ... even feeding it just 6bar/90 psi it spits out 450fps :blink: ), i just want a good quality part.

I think i'm gonna buy me another PDW if i can get my hands on a trademarked one. So is the rat carrier good then ? You say that it allows for easy access, how does it differ from the stock one ?

OK, I just got my OB PDW a week ago from EVIKE. I have cleaned it, lubed it, test fired it on Propane and all is well so far. However, I plan on running it with C02 exclusively and was curious as to what parts I should expect to fail so I can source replacement parts ahead of the failure. I have read this thread from beginning to end over the past week and everyone is using either Duster or GG/Propane as the propellant so I didn't exactly find my answer.

Should I just bite the bullet and buy a completely steel FCG? If so, who is the preferred vendor, RA-TECH? What should I replace in the upper?

My head is too tired to even understand what FCG is right now but generally there is an RA_Tech upgrade pack for the PDW with various bits for increased durability and performance, other than that the trigger/hammer assembly replacement from RA-Tech will be a good idea. It replaced the pot.metal standard parts with CNC metal. Other than that it should be OK i guess. Maybe an extra "recoil" spring would be useful to have,. airsoftbuddy has those.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

Fantastic thread,read from start to finish.

I have a closed bolt PDW converted to open bolt.I have the WE open bolt conversion and the RA tech one.

Danielsilva,you asked what the difference is between the two conversions.The RA Tech one works in opposite of the WE one. i.e the spring compresses on the blowback behind the bolt towards the stock instead of stretches from the front like the WE version.Ive found the RATech bolt carrier to be of good quality but the NPAS didnt last long and RATech havnt responded to any of my email's over the last few weeks.

You mentioned a teflon mod but I cant recall what that is as my shot consistency is bothering me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have just purchased a WE PDW Closed bolt ( with NPAS and Stinger hop ) and i have a couple of questions

Re the NPAS fitted i have the key but no instructions which direction increases / decreases and how much turn is needed ? thought i would ask rather than just try

Also if i want to get a co2 magazine would you recomend uprating anything else inside ?

Lastly if anyone has a PDF of the instruction manual with parts listed etc i would be gratefull if you could let me know

Thanks

Justin