So, A quick review of the Mesh lower face masks offered by US mfr, Bitter End. Already well known for their series of reasonably priced, high quality Mesh glasses and goggles, BE have decided to start making lower face masks as well. The advantage of the lower face protection is rather obvious, removing the risk of getting ones pearly whites shot out mid game, as well as providing an Instant Camo bonus +20 (snakkkkkkkeeeeee) for those of us without the Cadets Camo Ceam (pat-pend).

The construction is simple, a single piece of formed perforated steel sheet (same stuff that is used in their goggles), webbing around the edges of the mesh, 2 substantial looking D-rings and the head-strap attached to the aforementioned. There is also 2 foam blocks on the "wings" to ensure a better fit with your face. Now. This is a preview, as I haven't skirmished it yet. I have checked its ability to shrug off bb's though, and it does this admirably. Not that I expected it to fail, the perf. sheet looks more than up to the job. As for concerns raised about the durability of it as a result of the bending process, I have no concerns here, the forming around the mouth area (which is all we are worried about rly) is minimal. It stays on fine, although you will see in the pictures below the head-strap is in the wrong place, BE recommend that it goes over the back of the head, not on the top like I have it on. I tried it with a pair of BE "Jammer" googles, didn't interfere too much, although a less bulky framed glasses could get a tighter fit.

As always with using full-face masks, there is concerns about how it is going to affect you cheek weild with the stock and for this, I am happy to say it is very minimal. As you will see in the photos below, you still get most of you cheek on the stock, with only a small part of the edge of the mask contacting it. So 5*'s there for a good design.

So in summary, Its nice. Of course, time will tell how well it holds up, but given previous experience with BE's products, I think it will last for a good wee while. Until, the airsofter's inner magpie spots something new and shiny!

4365694423_fdb26142a8_o.jpg

4365694767_c305078309_o.jpg

4366439356_bca6580dcc_o.jpg

Thanks for contributing your review! This looks like a great product. How flexible is the mesh? Can you bend the top part of the lower face mask that goes over the nose to sit closer to the bridge of the nose and thus less of a gap? Without the nomex hood on, does the mesh/mask scratch your face and chin much? Thanks!

Thanks for contributing your review! This looks like a great product. How flexible is the mesh? Can you bend the top part of the lower face mask that goes over the nose to sit closer to the bridge of the nose and thus less of a gap? Without the nomex hood on, does the mesh/mask scratch your face and chin much? Thanks!

The mesh is fairly inflexible. However, the gap that you are seeing in the photos is due to the strap not being in the right place (should be over the back of the head) and my glasses forcing the top of the mask out. Just tried the mask on again there, when worn properly there is no gap.

Without the hood it is fine, apart from my beard poking tru the mesh! Its fairly comfortable to wear.

Quick Skirmish Update:

A mate used the mask this weekend at a skirmish at "the killhouse" outside Manchester. He had a pair of Bolle X800s on as eyepro, which fitted fine with the mask (to answer the question of an above poster coincidently). He complained that the "wings" of the mask were a bit tight against his face, but a bit of gentle re-shaping solved that issue. As for protection, I saw him take several hits on the mask without the paint so much as flaking, so no concerns there. The mask stayed in place for 3 hours without any issue or need for adjustment, so that's always a plus.

So, in all, after receiving its baptism of bbs, I am pleased to say that I still think this is a pretty damn good product. :D

Quick Skirmish Update:

A mate used the mask this weekend at a skirmish at "the killhouse" outside Manchester. He had a pair of Bolle X800s on as eyepro, which fitted fine with the mask (to answer the question of an above poster coincidently). He complained that the "wings" of the mask were a bit tight against his face, but a bit of gentle re-shaping solved that issue. As for protection, I saw him take several hits on the mask without the paint so much as flaking, so no concerns there. The mask stayed in place for 3 hours without any issue or need for adjustment, so that's always a plus.

So, in all, after receiving its baptism of bbs, I am pleased to say that I still think this is a pretty damn good product. :D

I notice it took a bit of time to get the mask to fit perfectly, but once you do it is very comfortable. There are two parts to getting the fit right, bending (ever so slightly) the mask to relieve pressure points and the getting the strap fitted correctly on your head. Both the tightness and the angle of the strap is important (or at least was for me). He has a video of fitting the mask on his site that is spot on. Also if you have a mess of hair the fit will adjust during the game, a hat or sweat rag prevents this. The more I use the mask the more I like it.

• 4 weeks later...

Been looking at picking one of these up as our local site is moving more towards a urban site than woodland (theres already a load of plywood buildings a church and now a kill house) so protecting my teeth has become to me a bit more than pulling a shemagh round my face further encouraged by one of the guys getting a tooth shot out.

Not a fan of full face masks or plastic half masks and this looks like it will fit the bill used bitterend glasses no problems steaming up so have high hopes for when this arrives!

I received mine on last Friday and gave it a workout on Saturday. I think it still requires a bit more shaping to fit my face as comfort was a minor issue. (I have a big nose.) I also had a bit of difficulty looking down my AK's sights. However after taking a direct hit to the mouth area (It made a wonderful "CLANG!" sound.) and hearing about a couple other players who took rounds in the mouth, I'm inclined to say that while not totally perfect, this is going to be part of my basic kit.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used these with regular goggles?

I use mine with ESS Striker Turbofans. They're larger goggles (I wear prescription glasses.) in order to get things comfortable it does take a bit of trial and error, but once set up right I barely feel the mask at all.

• 4 weeks later...