Knight's Armament Rifles/Other

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call it dead either, but I would love a new project.

The original problem was that the trigger pin broke off, allowing the trigger to freely move within to body thus rendering the gun useless. So I brought in a new GB shell (G&P 7mm) for them to use but they said they'd have to mod it to fit. So they modded it, but now apparently it doesn't want to run smoothly. The airsmith said he tried every combination of gears/motor/battery he could think of to make it run smooth but all it ever does is screech or feel like its grinding when it shoots.

It was crazy easy.

First thing I did was get one of my spare soldering iron tips and grind the tip from whatever shape it was into a nice rounded ball like tip. Heat up the soldering iron.

Using a belt sander (or whatever sanding/grinding tool you have), sand off the undesired ribs on the panel. Then comes the easy, but tedious part. Just start randomly dimpling the surface with the soldering iron. The amount of time and pressure used will vary depending on the temperature of the iron. You just have to experiment. I start by randomly dotting the surface in a very scattered way with a fair amount of space between dots. Then I'll dimple more clustered around those areas. Eventually the entire surface will be covered. The cool thing is when using the soldering iron, you're not removing material, you're displacing it. So if you notice that the pattern is becoming too uniform or predictable when you want it to be random, you just randomly re-stipple that area and you'll completely redefine the pattern in that area.

Had a G&P full stocked M4 and a CQB/R Carbine kit turn up about 2 and a half hours ago, and here's the result...

DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

The RoF is just silly on the thing.. I have no idea why, but it's ridiculous. I have a feeling i'll need more midcaps.

And a couple of shots with the family for good measure;

DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0042.jpg

New Optic:

004-19.jpg

And this is what happened to my EOtech at the last game :( :

006-14.jpg

Some KAC pics:

007-9.jpg

008-10.jpg

010-9.jpg

011-7.jpg

012-5.jpg

So while you guys were out stippling I thought I'd try something a little different for a more grippy rail cover:

Original:

013-7.jpg

New:

014-5.jpg

All three together:

015-3.jpg

Oh damn... ran out of pic space to place the last pic. I guess I'll post it later then.

*EDIT*: Sorry about the crappy quality of the pics, I didn't get to edit them all.

Edited by 08kecarv
Tried my hand at stippling tonight:

It was surprisingly easy. The texture feels very similar to the dimpling on my Gunner G10 Grips. I may have to do this to a few more of my KAC panels.

Nice work uscm.

Also yeah, it is extremely easy. I don't understand why people actually pay companies to do it when all it takes is a soldering iron and 30 minutes.

kecarv- Is that skateboard grip tape? (Or something similar)

@Jdizzle: Yeah its grip tape, not skateboard grip tape though. I'd say it works well enough but you can't feel the ridges as much, which was the whole premise behind me using the tape and not stippling.

@Black Stena: Haha, will do :P I'll have to do it maybe tomorrow or on Christmas day since I work the majority of the day tomorrow. We'll see ;)

Tried my hand at stippling tonight:

It was surprisingly easy. The texture feels very similar to the dimpling on my Gunner G10 Grips. I may have to do this to a few more of my KAC panels.

It turned out incredible! Need to try this. Soo, to stipple (dimple)-you didn't use a stippling tool but a moded soldering iron per your instructions? Very nice.

Edited by Hispeed1

VFC SR15. It's kind of wobly but whatever, I intend to actually use this one soon so I suppose it doesn't matter much. Tried some of that stippling too. Not as good as some others here but I was loosing my patience with it. It's easy, but it take so damn long to put a dot on it... Might be my (20 years old) soldering iron though. It takes a few seconds here before I get an imprint, is that normal?

DSC_1779-2.jpg

DSC_1787-2.jpg

Edited by j3T

Hmmm, hopefully that is a lemon? I just got mine, but cannot open it until tonight *I think*.

I think the right side selector might be able to be fixed, with the addition of milled out depressions in the receiver and a ball bearing detent like there is on the left side, or perhaps some shims to tighten it up?

The looseness of the upper and lower.... We'll have to see what we can do about that one.