Your ideas for airsoft projects

thegunnut

Wow, that was kind of harsh... :unsure:

Not really.

After all, if Thegunnut is looking for ideas then he can look in the Projects forum for inspiration. If he wants to discuss other peoples ideas then the Projects forum is where the people who want to discuss projects will be found.

Either way, it's the place to look.

Electronics has nothing to do with your first gun "powered by a small petrol engine" which is so dumb its funny. Then you want to make a robotic suit which can be done yes, but it cost thousands and some very clever minds, both of which are unavailable to you.

Electronics has nothing to do with your first gun "powered by a small petrol engine" which is so dumb its funny. Then you want to make a robotic suit which can be done yes, but it cost thousands and some very clever minds, both of which are unavailable to you.

1. There's nothing wrong with using a petrol engine to power an airsoft gun.

2. I'm quite capable of producing a working design, and the parts are all easily available. I may not have thousands, but I have enough to at least get most of the way.

3. I had the idea of a sentry gun long before I even looked at these boards. It's hardly a unique concept.

4. You're just jealous because you didn't come up with any good ideas.

Ok look. Lets just look at this.

Design number 1.

Massive gun, too big for even woodland games.

Using an engine will produce a large RPM so feeding will be awful unless you desing a very good system like on the minigun.

This RPM will put out a load of bb's in a single burst, and the effect of multiple bb's hitting the target in high frequency can shred tins and bottles so imagine what it would do to peoples skin, not nice.

DESIGN 2:

Costs a massive amount of money

Takes years to develop by professionals

Offers no real advantage in airsoft because all you need to carry is a light gun.

"1. There's nothing wrong with using a petrol engine to power an airsoft gun."

There is everything wrong, its big, loud and produces too much rpm. Not to mention the pain of using petrol. Can you see the problems, dont you think someone would have made one by now if it was a good idea? Wouldnt you rather buy a well built gun like a minimi, systema or even a minigun if you want a large, powerful gun than waste your money the above ideas?

Ok look. Lets just look at this.

Design number 1.

Massive gun, too big for even woodland games.

Using an engine will produce a large RPM so feeding will be awful unless you desing a very good system like on the minigun.

This RPM will put out a load of bb's in a single burst, and the effect of multiple bb's hitting the target in high frequency can shred tins and bottles so imagine what it would do to peoples skin, not nice.

Umm, that's the idea. It's supposed to be massive and have a ridiculous ROF. Otherwise, what would be the pont?

DESIGN 2:

Costs a massive amount of money

Takes years to develop by professionals

Offers no real advantage in airsoft because all you need to carry is a light gun.

Amateurs have built working designs for far less than the countless years and tens of thousands that you envision. As for carrying capacity, it has advantages beyond simply carrying a bigger gun, such as carrying more ammo, or a larger number of small guns. Didn't think of that, did you?

Also, I hardly see how you can attack my ideas when you're trying to make a gun you saw in halo 2. That's the lamest think I've ever heard.

EDIT

There is everything wrong, its big, loud and produces too much rpm. Not to mention the pain of using petrol. Can you see the problems, dont you think someone would have made one by now if it was a good idea? Wouldnt you rather buy a well built gun like a minimi, systema or even a minigun if you want a large, powerful gun than waste your money the above ideas?

1. It's not that big. It's small enough to use in garden tools.

2. Noise isn't going to be an issue. Stealth isn't exactly my top priority here.

3. There's no such thing as too much RPM

4. It's called a minimi for a reason. Same goes for the minigun. I don't want something mini.

Brilliant, you managed to get out a reply at last <_<

1. What your saying is, you want to have a high ROF even if it means being dangerous to the people you fire at? Whats the point of having a gun that isn't practical and effective just because its big?

2. "As for carrying capacity, it has advantages beyond simply carrying a bigger gun, such as carrying more ammo, or a larger number of small guns. Didn't think of that, did you?" Now this is where it gets funny, how many arms do you have, two, i though so. How many guns can you fire with two hands....two..max. How would you reload, why would you need that ammo? Why would you need to carry more guns than you can fire? I didn't mention the ideas because they were dumb, just because people haven't said something doesn't mean it hasn't been through there mind.

Now, i'm guessing you would use rams to control the arms etc. Therefor you would need a pump, hose, and a control system as well as many, many other things. Now this control system would have to be extremely well designed to work, you might even need a small computer or powerful mixer to allow the solenoids on the rams to work together to produce the movement you require, such as moving an arm 45 Degrees up and 45 to the right to target someone.

Regarding the halo 2 gun, its original , compact and perfect size for my local CQB site, plus it will be fun making it. Now i'm not saying you ideas aren't doable, im saying there not good ideas for airsoft, and that you need to have some IQ to pull it off, and you have already proved with your immature and baddly thought out ideas that its not for you. End of.

1. What your saying is, you want to have a high ROF even if it means being dangerous to the people you fire at?

Yes

Now this is where it gets funny, how many arms do you have, two, i though so. How many guns can you fire with two hands....two..max. How would you reload, why would you need that ammo? Why would you need to carry more guns than you can fire? I didn't mention the ideas because they were dumb, just because people haven't said something doesn't mean it hasn't been through there mind.

How many fingers do I have? Ten. Ten triggers can control (wait for it...) ten guns. What, do you think I'm going to be holding them in my hands? The point of this is that I don't need to. And who said anything about reloading? When I said more ammo, I meant more ammo in the magazines. I'm talking about really huge box mags and ammo hoppers here, not low-caps.

Now, i'm guessing you would use rams to control the arms etc. Therefor you would need a  pump, hose, and a control system as well as many, many other things. Now this control system would have to be extremely well designed to work, you might even need a small computer or powerful mixer to allow the solenoids on the rams to work together to produce the movement you require, such as moving an arm 45 Degrees up and 45 to the right to target someone.

Too late, I've already designed a working control system, and found a good source of hydraulic components. No need for fancy computers or mixers, as each joint will be independently controlled by a simple comparator setup. I move my arm 45 degrees up and 45 degrees to the right, this produces a change in voltage across the potentiometers mounted there, which is picked up by the comparators, causing them to open the valves, which produces a movement in the suit's arm until the voltage across the suit's potentiometers matches the voltage coming from my potentiometers (you do know what a potentiometer is, don't you?)

Regarding the halo 2 gun, its original , compact and perfect size for my local CQB site, plus it will be fun making it.

It's not original. You saw it in a videogame and decided to copy it. You're not the only one to think of that, either. I spoke to someone over on ASCUK not long ago who had exactly the same idea. Oh, and if you're going to steal ideas from videogames, at least steal them from good videogames.

You obviostly seem to be missing the point. Get this into proportion, and have a little rethink, your not playing a "videogame". This is reality, now take a little walk away from your computer screen that you spend o so long in front of and try to realise that.

Your dissregard for other peoples safety is sickening, maybe you should reconsider before you cause someone damage, remember airsoft is constantly being attacked by the media and we dont need you screwing it up for us.

You obviostly seem to be missing the point. Get this into proportion, and have a little rethink, your not playing a "videogame". This is reality, now take a little walk away from your computer screen that you spend o so long in front of and try to realise that.

I know that already, thanks.

Your dissregard for other peoples safety is sickening, maybe you should reconsider before you cause someone damage, remember airsoft is constantly being attacked by the media and we dont need you screwing it up for us.

A lot of people say that. If I didn't reconsider for them, what makes you think I'll do it for you?

You don't actually intend to use this in an airsoft game do you? You would be a large, loud and clumsy target and would still be taken out with one shot.

Why?

The same reason people come to games dressed as characters from The Matrix, or lugging around an M134: Because it's fun. Who cares if it's practical or not? Besides, I'm already large and loud, though not necessarily cumbersome (it depends on how much coffee I have in the morning, I think).

JRH - i'm not going to flame you , but this may be of interest .i apologise in advance for the long post.

last year , a friend and i decided to make a petrol powered minigun as a little project,just to see if it was possible ( we are both mechanical engineers and NEVER intended to use it in a skirmish).

. I WILL NOT GIVE OUT PLANS FOR THIS WEAPON , because it is exactly that -a WEAPON and a bloody dangerous one too!

to test it we hung a sheep carcass from a tree branch and let rip from about 20m , the carcass was SHREDDED by .45 bb's ,PLASTIC BB's :huh:

sounds like great fun , i hear you say .... well it was, till we realised most of those bb's went clean through and into the neighbouring farmers LIVING/sheep :o 3 of which could not run fast enough.......

mr farmer was not very happy , neither were the local authorities :waggle:

we had to reimburse the farmer for the murdered sheep ( sheep aint cheap ! ), narrowly escaped a criminal conviction/custodial sentence and the minigun was confiscated and destroyed

if you do decide to build something similar ,and fire it at people, you probably deserve all you're going to get , no offence .

just so all you REAL airsofters know : this little escapade happened on private land - did not bring the sport into disrepute - and the minigun was meant as a one-off 'showpiece' NEVER EVER EVER to be fired at a person/skirmish , we just like to make stuff :P

Archived