Receiving a broken "new" gun

sage004

Hi all . I have a bit of a problem and decided to turn to arnies for advice. About two weeks ago I ordered a king arms fal from UNcompany. Because of chineese new year I had to wait. The package finally arrives. When i get it i notice there is a hold in the lip of the box. i open the gun and discover to my horror the charging handle on the weapon is broken. The rod is shattered making me un able to acess my hop up and ruining the look of the gun in my opinion.

I fired off an email to UNcompany shortly there after and took some pictures to document the damage. My Questions are what should I do and if anyone has had this happen before and what the company has done to fix the issue?

As they are outside of UK and indeed EU trading laws you can expect them to say *fruitcage* off.

Sorry but that is as brutal as it can be but on the other hand you may get a nice apology and an offer to do something about it.

In my opinion hope they are nice about it but if they are not there is little you can really do.

'FireKnife'

They may send you a replacement part. That'd probably be the cheapest option for them. If the charging handle is broken, it can be inexpensively replaced rather than you shipping the entire gun to them and them shipping the gun (or gun replacement back). If other parts of the gun beyond the charging handle (such as the receiver etc) are damaged/scratched too ... that becomes much harder to address.

It's possible they'll say "too bad for you", but not likely.

Regarding the box's damage: did the box have US Customs tape on it indicating that it had been inspected? If it did, the courier could claim that it wasn't their fault and that the damage occurred during inspection by the Customs Inspector. If no tape is present on the box, the courier might be to blame. Either way it'll be hard to argue.

They (UNCo) could also argue that they damage was done by you and you're trying to BS them. I'm not saying that you did that, but it's a plausible explanation from their point of view.

Wait and see what UNCo says.

You could try opening a case with paypal/credit card company and see if they offer any protection.

I generally find that Paypal only cares if you receive something. Paypal have never done anything on my behalf as a buyer when the item is damaged or is something other than what was described. Someone, can sell me an M4 and send me a rock for all they care. So long as there's proof it got delivered, that's all Paypal cares.

That's the risk you take when ordering oversees. You know it has to go a long way before it reaches you. But UNCo is normally (at least used to be, not sure now) quite fair in that. I once received a broken GBB and they offered me a discount on my next purchase (I believe it was 30%) Needless to say, the next purchase was a serious one.

That's the risk you take when ordering oversees. You know it has to go a long way before it reaches you. But UNCo is normally (at least used to be, not sure now) quite fair in that. I once received a broken GBB and they offered me a discount on my next purchase (I believe it was 30%) Needless to say, the next purchase was a serious one.

I'm going to second this, actually. A while ago, I was building an M16-variant for somebody, and required a prommy tightbore for it. Only place I could find with them in stock was UNCO, so I placed an order. Turned out they didn't have any in stock, and as an apology, said i could have 15% off my next order with them.

Still not used it, and may never do, but that's due to me being too poor to order much from HK. So, seems they give good customer service, even if they ARE closing down...

Personaly I'm always a bit iffy about getting a discount off your next order. This is because, to get your compensation for their mistake you have to hand over more money. Also it is a common sales technique to get people to buy more than they normally would, so more money goes into their pockets

OP, please let us all know how you get on

Did you have to sign for the package? My advice is that if not, claim that you never recieved it and claim a refund from paypal if that is how you paid. If you did, then paypal is a waste of time as they will close your dispute, but file one anyway and escalate it to a claim immediately. This may force paypal to take action against them and prevent anyone else from being ripped off by them.

Failing that, just do a charge back on your credit card or through your bank. I have spent the last three weeks or so trying to get an answer from an email reguarding a $17 shotgun shell and they just ignore me. They will be sorry in the long run because I will claim back the money for my whole order, which I never intended to do, but if they want to *fruitcage* me then they should have kissed me first, instead I will *fruitcage* them.

Funnily enough there is a link to my problem posted above, and strange that it is the same company that is responsible. Maybe you should post a comment on my thread so that people can see that it is not just me.

Did you have to sign for the package? My advice is that if not, claim that you never recieved it and claim a refund from paypal if that is how you paid. If you did, then paypal is a waste of time as they will close your dispute, but file one anyway and escalate it to a claim immediately. This may force paypal to take action against them and prevent anyone else from being ripped off by them.

Spencerman, that is simply the worst possible advice you could give! Are you advising this chap commit fraud? :o

Spencerman, that is simply the worst possible advice you could give! Are you advising this chap commit fraud? :o

I didn't read it as a suggestion to commit Fraud!

I took his comment as - *fruitcage* them over and let them pursue you for the money, because PayPal dont want to know, because you received a package - it might be the wrong package or it might be faulty, but you received a package.....................

Why should the customer be the one to lose out?

I bet they would answer emails sharpish if they had the full amount charged back :)

No, sorry you must have mis understood my intention. I am fed up with people being against airsoft because they do not understand it. I do not want to see some dishonest company scam people who are airsofters simply because there are not many other options as far as retailers are concerned.

I have tried to be honest with them and it has got me nowhere. Check the link posted above. I will now pursue a FULL refund for my money rather than be ignored and ripped off by them.

Paypal WILL NOT entertain a refund for a package bought outside of ebay simply because the item was wrong or damaged. I have that from paypal themselves only the other day. It is not speculation. If you recieved a package then it is for you to sort out any problem with the seller as far as they are concerned. This is NOT the case with the bank. They will support you, the consumer, when an issue like this arrises if the company, or UNcompany as is the case here, refuses to sort the issue with you.

All I am implying is that if you piad through paypal and want them to do anything with reguards to refunding your money, then the only way to do this is to say that you never recieved the package. Whether this is the truth or not is up to you. If I had known this in the first place, I know how I would have filed my claim instead of being honest in order not to let UNcompany screw me over for my money and thier poor service. You can read that any way that you want.

Items damaged in transit must be claimed to the freight carrier. In the event of concealed damage as this sounds (carton pierced and contents affected) where you did not note the condition at the time of receipt you have to report it as fast as possible and they will have an agent decide if they want to entertain your claim.

Be aware a lot of the rules and limits for this were written when the railroads were still first crossing the country and they are very skewed to let the carrier off the hook. It does not matter if it is UPS, FedEx, or the mail they all play by the same book.

As an aside since the quetion will arise "how could this happen" normally they take that box, put it flat, and then pile a lot of other heavy stuff on top of it. As the truck bounces down the road the contents get crushed. Fragile stickers, this end up, and all the rest have no real effect on the couriers and truck drivers. If you ever watched Ace Ventura when he impersonates a UPS driver that is closer to the truth than most of the folks want to admit.

As far as doing a charge back, If UNCo OR the parcel carrier does NOTHING or not enough to compensate, then you legallay are not committing fraud by doing a charge back so long as you state that the object in question was received but not in the "expected state that it was ordered in." But UNCo is a large well respected shop and most likely will do some measure to compensate you.

I've received items broken by customs from RedWolf in the past and they've always been absolutely great about refunding for damaged merchandise. I believe the shipping carrier was billed though they let me reorder anything of roughly equal value to the damaged items and sent it very quickly with free postage. I've been very confident in ordering from overseas since.

While I don't have any personal experience with the UNCo customer service department, I wouldn't expect them to flake off responsibility just on the basis that they're a Hong Kong retailer selling internationally.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived