Super Light Carbon Fibre Pistol Silencers Coming Soon

Rob15

Here is a preview of the next product to be released by Lees Precision Engineering in the very near future.

It is a well known fact that adding a silencer onto many of the common types of GBB pistols will lead to reduced performance and slide cycle speed, while there are silencers that claim to be 'light weight' available the reduction in performance can still create the need for upgrades to counter the additional weight added onto the barrel.

The Lees Precision Engineering carbon fibre silencers have been designed to be as light as an airsoft silencer can be in order to reduce the negative impact on performance, they are not just light, they are super light.

With a thin but very strong full carbon fibre body manufactured to custom specifications and precise tolerances by an established manufacturer more used to making parts for F1 cars and endcaps CNC machined from solid billets of aircraft grade aluminium the 127mm silencer weighs in at only 30g and a mere 25g for the 87mm stubby silencer. These really are the superleggeras of the airsoft silencer world!

Not only are these super light but they are also very strong with no corners cut on the strength, to avoid threading into carbon fibre the exit endcap is bonded in while on the other end an internally threaded aluminium insert is bonded in resulting in increased strength and more durable threads. The attachment endcap also features threads machine cut to tight tolerances, there is no loose threading to be found on these, the addition of a machined 10mm allen key slot inside the endcap also means loose endcaps will be a thing of the past :)

These will be available in 127mmx31.3mm and 87mmx31.3mm sizes with the option of 14mm CW and 14mm CCW threads as well as export versions without any silencing foam.

Retail price and release date will be announced when the information is available.

IMG_0115.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Due to chatting to rob on MSN, I think It's safe to reveal that these will be fairly reasonably priced. I don't know an exact price (and wouldn't tell you if i did ;)), but the estimates I've seen have been VERY Reasonable. For example, current Carbon fiber silencers seem to be going for over a hundred pounds/dollars, depending on size and where you get them from.

These ones, on the other hand, probably won't be a huge amount more than a "normal" silencer of the same length. Obviously, this is a bit of a guestemation on my part, but you certainly won't be looking at £100/$100+ per silencer like laylax ones.

Plus, they're HORRIBLY pimp. How can you say no? >:-3

tantalizing. i am thinking about building one of 2 pistols. i may choose the M9 over the other because of these.

2 questions. any chance of getting a version with 2 more holes drilled into the front end cap? i love the look of the extra venting holes.

and the other is that, is there any chance of a 23x180mm version? i love slim suppressors on M9s.

Any plan on having inner barrel extension through out? In case of KSC MK23 suppressor, I experienced increased shooting range with inner barrel extension.

Do you mean an inner barrel inside which then aligns with the inner barrel in the gun, ala KJ/STTI MK23 mock barrel extension? If so then thats going to be a no on that one as it would be a pain to make sure they always line up properly, it will be possible to fit a longer barrel to a gun and hide it with these silencers though if that is what you meant.

awesome looking suppressors, will the export versions be hollow or will they have a filler in place of the foam?

Currently planned to be hollow without any foam in at all.

Price? I'm assuming expensive for carbon fiber

That would depend what you class as expensive, but the current estimate puts it inline/cheaper than some of the larger/higher quality QD aluminium silencers that are available in UK shops, obviously that will vary depending on exchange rate and the country they are going to, but iirc from browing US stores at the current conversion they should be a similar price to the high end aluminium ones there too.

I really like the look of that carbon fiber pattern on a suppressor!

I also see that you have attached one to a USP Tactical, so will there be 16mm Mk23/USP-T versions available?

'Cos if so...drool.gif

16mm threading is a possibility on future batches if there is demand for them, currently all the drawings and prototypes are 14mm threads but changing to 16mm wouldn't be an issue later on :)

2 questions. any chance of getting a version with 2 more holes drilled into the front end cap? i love the look of the extra venting holes.

and the other is that, is there any chance of a 23x180mm version? i love slim suppressors on M9s.

Vent holes I'm not too sure about, there is a very slight concern that if vent holes are drilled at some point someone might try and undo the front cap with a pin spanner and break the bonding between the carbon and aluminium, by leaving it blank there isn't any risk of being able to put enough force onto it to break the bonding.

A slim version is also an option for the future, but right now I couldn't say either way for sure, however I will say that if there proves to be good demand for the current sizes I will be looking at expanding the range ;)

mere 25g for the 87mm stubby silencer.

On paper, that really is light.

I just weighed a G&G Mjutli SS80 (30x80mm) at 35g. That's the extra weight of a pair of 2 pence pieces!

Boy, that put's it into perspective. Where every gramme matters, this product will come in handy.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but understand how little difference there is between ally & carbon fiber in 'small' applications.

Strength is important, but this is a different type of strength. How do these stand up against a bb strike? Ally will dent, but if the carbon goes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think you have to be aware that certain materials suit certain applications. I'd agree, carbon makes an excellent exhaust can, but gun silencer?

I'll definitely have one for my VSR, I like to keep it as light as possible, 250 x 30 please. But not for the pistols.

How about a vsr barrel & reciever set, like the ltd lalax one? Without the $800 price tag. :D

Greg.

On paper, that really is light.

I just weighed a G&G Mjutli SS80 (30x80mm) at 35g. That's the extra weight of a pair of 2 pence pieces!

Boy, that put's it into perspective. Where every gramme matters, this product will come in handy.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but understand how little difference there is between ally & carbon fiber in 'small' applications.

I don't know about that, I wouldn't say an overall weight saving of about 28.5% is 'little', especially on a silencer which has a longer overall length and a slightly larger diameter body. On the intended application every gram less does count and will help the performance.

Strength is important, but this is a different type of strength. How do these stand up against a bb strike? Ally will dent, but if the carbon goes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think you have to be aware that certain materials suit certain applications. I'd agree, carbon makes an excellent exhaust can, but gun silencer?

Having blasted one from about 1 meter away with a gun that is a bit over 1j I found single direct bb impacts left some small surface dents (around 0.1mm deep) and scuffed the surface a little, areas which took multiple hits as you'd expect have slightly larger dents, and a few areas some very small cracks in the carbon weave. The carbon hasn't shattered into many parts though as I assume you are thinking would happen and is still intact and very much usable.

To put that into perspective I've seen an aluminium silencer literally get shot through at the end despite having a wall thickness around 35% more than these carbon silencers do.

If you want to make an airsoft silencer as light as can be, as is the intention here, but still strong then carbon fibre is a very good material for it. While a given volume of carbon fibre is only 30% lighter than the same volume of aluminium such as T6 6061/6082 the properties of carbon allow for much thinner wall thickness's without making it very easy to dent or deform as would happen with aluminium of the same wall thickness as the carbon used in these silencers.

EDIT : Way ahead of you on VSR carbon fibre barrel sets as well :P

I don't know about that, I wouldn't say an overall weight saving of about 28.5% is 'little', especially on a silencer which has a longer overall length and a slightly larger diameter body. On the intended application every gram less does count and will help the performance.

Having blasted one from about 1 meter away with a gun that is a bit over 1j I found single direct bb impacts left some small surface dents (around 0.1mm deep) and scuffed the surface a little, areas which took multiple hits as you'd expect have slightly larger dents, and a few areas some very small cracks in the carbon weave. The carbon hasn't shattered into many parts though as I assume you are thinking would happen and is still intact and very much usable.

To put that into perspective I've seen an aluminium silencer literally get shot through at the end despite having a wall thickness around 35% more than these carbon silencers do.

If you want to make an airsoft silencer as light as can be, as is the intention here, but still strong then carbon fibre is a very good material for it. While a given volume of carbon fibre is only 30% lighter than the same volume of aluminium such as T6 6061/6082 the properties of carbon allow for much thinner wall thickness's without making it very easy to dent or deform as would happen with aluminium of the same wall thickness as the carbon used in these silencers.

EDIT : Way ahead of you on VSR carbon fibre barrel sets as well :P

I'm skeptical that a pair of 2p's, will make any difference to the working of a silenced gbb. 28% is significant but only if the initial weight is substancial enough.

No point arguing, I'll believe it when I see it. My skepticism is hardly likely to effect sales,,,,,,,,,, 'It's CARBON, so must be good', will be enough for most ;) .

I'm very interested in the VSR barrel. This is a significant amount of material, so 30% will make a noticeable difference.

Is there a website, to keep tabs on when this is available?

Greg.

Greg, best bet is to keep an eye on these news forums as anything that does get announced will be done so here first, its unlikely I'll do carbon receivers for the VSR as there isn't really any room for playing around for dimensions and as a result its likely it'd be the most expensive part, but give the least weight saving out of a barrel and receiver. I am looking into the viability of barrel sets though price and manufacturing wise, I reckon a saving well over 30% could be made on the barrel without going into mad prices :)

I've noticed a quicker cycling time on a threaded M9 simply by taking the foam out the silencer - 10g off the overall weight might not give you a perfect cycle comparable to an unsilenced barrel, but it'll definitely make an improvement.

Indeed, every gram less is going to result in the slide cycling faster and closer to the speed at which it would without a silencer, and as a result the gas usage per shot should be lower which should also lead to more consistant shot per shot fps due to a lower gas and heat transfer.

For those of us who cheat...

Could the front NOT be bonded in? as to unscrew it and place foam in it?

The front will stay bonded in to keep weight down but the rear endcap as Megalomaniac says is threaded and fits into an internally threaded aluminium insert at the rear end which still leaves plenty of room for getting foam in.

i for one am interested. while the 2p analogy is... well... a bit stupid, i can vaguely see the idea behind it. at the same time, nearly 30% is a huge reduction in weight, no matter how small the actual weight. fair enough, 30% of 100g is 30g, which is quite a lot, 30% of 10g is still 3g, which is still 30%, which is still a massively lighter weight silencer.

rob: are there any sound tests of a GBB with this installed? would be interesting to see how much they actually silence things :)

Very nice. I'll be keeping an eye out for the price of these.

I'd also be interested in a 16mm threaded version for a Mk.23, Maybe an idea would be to just make a 16mm threaded end cap in a small run to test how viable it would be to as a full silencer and offer them as an extra when buying a full silencer with a 14mm threaded cap.

no, the foam would melt on the first shot and possibly make the suppressor explode. since airsoft suppressors can only be mounted to AKs, and they WILL make your suppressor explode, airsoft suppressors aren't illegal because they will cause the gun to be louder when fired the first time. but, they look like real suppressors, thus they may be seized.

so, what im saying is that owning an airsoft suppressor without a stamp isnt illegal, but importing one may cause it to be seized because of its realistic nature.

all you need to do is have a sheet of paper wrapped around the suppressor explaining that its a toy suppressor and that use of it on a real firearm will never work and cause bodily harm when it explodes. shops remove the foam from suppressors shipped to the US so customs wont seize it, but they really dont have to do it. its like shipping a gun without destroying the trademarks, you just have to be careful.

before, like, 2003, suppressors were just plain illegal, including airgun suppressors. but after that, the laws changed a bit and airgun suppressors were thrown into a gray area while real suppressors were allowed to be had as long as you registered them with a $200 stamp.

since a suppressor is designated as a muzzle device that can quiet the noise of a firearm by 1Db, most arigun suppressors are now no longer designated as suppressors as they only really fit on a few large caliber rifles which would render airgun suppressors useless.

at least its something like that.

Q: Are Paintball and/or Airgun Sound Suppressers NFA firearms?

The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Numerous paintball and airgun silencers tested by ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers. Because silencers are NFA weapons, an individual wishing to manufacture or transfer such a silencer must receive prior approval from ATF and pay the required tax. See also “What are the required transfer procedures for an individual who is not qualified as a manufacturer, importer, or dealer of NFA firearms?” and “How does an individual obtain authorization to make an NFA firearm?” for application details.

If you have any further questions as to the classification of a paintball or airgun silencer, please send a written request to ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(24), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a), 27 CFR 479.11]

My source www.atf.gov/

Archived