GBB M4's Confiscated and Destroyed

Kalmar

Now waiting to see what further implications this will cause:

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Machine-gu...t-85246447.html

0224machien_guns_seized.jpgTACOMA, Wash. - U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers seized a shipment of 30 machine guns that arrived in an ocean container at the Tacoma Seaport last October.

Officials say the shipment of M-4 automatic rifles, manifested only as "Toys and Parts," was valued at nearly $10,000 and was shipped from a manufacturer in Taiwan.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms found that the rifles were tooled to shoot plastic balls, but replacement of internal components with original machine gun components would render the rifles capable of firing live ammunition.

"These rifles could have had far-reaching and potentially devastating ramifications if they had gotten into the hands of individuals who wanted to do harm in the American population," said Customs and Border Protection Area Port Director, Rolando Suliveras, Jr. "This was a good interception by our officers."

The guns will be destroyed.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ignorance is bliss.

Id like to see these GBBs be converted to fire real ammo, that's gonna happen, totally.

Knowing the ATF, they'll strip everything except the ejection port cover and build a real AR15 around that. Yep, that's "conversion" for ya.

Knowing the ATF, they'll strip everything except the ejection port cover and build a real AR15 around that. Yep, that's "conversion" for ya.

But will it fire reliably or will the die-cast receiver give out quickly?

Also, it's funny how an incident that happened last October is barely being publicized right now.....

The lack of an orange tip makes the rifles more menacing though.....

Also, the media should really do some research before posting, they make this sound all bad. It's AIRSOFT!

But there is always that crowd that never listens and if it looks like a gun then it's bad.......

Hopefully none of these siezures continue...

-Luis

BTW, the picture was stolen from elsewhere, i have seen it before. so the tips weren't necessarily black.

i think whoever wrote the article didn't have a pic and stole it from WE.

i believe thats one of the pics WE used to announce the line of the final generation M4 CQBRs.

I would love to see them try to convert this to fire real ammunition. I would love to be at the test where the thing blows up I hope there behind ballistic glass when they test this I bet the only things they kept would be the RIS rail and the stock. While I believe the person who shipped them violated US custom laws. The cost alone would be more expensive then to just go purchase a rifle that fires real ammunition. This is a just ridiculous news report trying to make it seem bigger than it was. Article should read stupid shipping clerk didn't follow custom rules for US and has shipment destroyed of toy guns at value of 10,000 dollars.

But will it fire reliably or will the die-cast receiver give out quickly?

It only needs to be able to fire one round to be an issue. That said ... can you install RS parts onto a stripped WE/WA GBB lower and make it work? Because if not, then the ATF clearly overreacted as the lower on a real AR is the only part of concern (according to US laws in which this article is applied to).

can you install RS parts onto a stripped WE/WA GBB lower and make it work?

No you can not and yes I have tried. It is not possible without significant machining/alteration of the lower receiver to make it work. Hell we might as well ban aluminum blocks while were at it, cause those could be "illegally modified" too. Think of it, it's for the children.

What does that mean?

The hassle with WE guns started because a certain well-known airsoft equipment manufacturer was seeking to gain exclusive rights to import WE guns into the USA and, when they failed, they decided to report WE to the ATF.

I can't really say any more because I'm probably not in possesion of all the facts but make no mistake that this is a classic case of the airsoft industry cutting its own throat.

Anyone could make a device to fire a single round using materials that are cheaper and easier to acquire. Yet, there are only a couple of hurdles one must go through in order to purchase fully automatic weapons.

Oh well, as long as they keep the evil black rifles out of terrorist hands. :rolleyes:

Wow, how rediculous.

Now... if this was a bunch of Inos, maybe I could understand it a bit more, but honestly its a toy, how can they not see that? especially with the brass tube.

EDIT: realized it wasn't a bunch of G&Ps first glance they looked like one. The boxes say WE CQBR. Haha, silly me.

I think, TBH, the real reason for all the fuss is because of the trigger group parts.

I know the official line is a bit different to that but, in reality, I think it's the trigger parts that the ATF is upset about.

IIRC, WE modified the trigger assembly slightly in their SCAR because of this.

Not sure if they also modified later versions of the M4 as well.

I think, TBH, the real reason for all the fuss is because of the trigger group parts.

I know the official line is a bit different to that but, in reality, I think it's the trigger parts that the ATF is upset about.

IIRC, WE modified the trigger assembly slightly in their SCAR because of this.

Not sure if they also modified later versions of the M4 as well.

I remember intensely debating the issue previously when someone posted the 'rumor' about WE M4's getting banned from import. Of course that turned in to an 80 page flame war and we never did hear from the original poster again.

So is this just a continuation of policy that's been in place for some time? Or is it just a one off (and idiotic) occurrence on behalf of US Customs?

In either case, I dug up some old photos of the WA lower reciever and real M16 fire control parts to show that they do not fit and take some serious modification to make work.

part3w.jpg

Selector diameter is too small. Length is too long, (not pictured) detent channel in different location.

part2i.jpg

Auto trigger is too wide.

part1mw.jpg

Auto sear pin diameter is too wide, will not fit. Hammer pin tight but feasible (not a machinegun part).

part4o.jpg

The hassle with WE guns started because a certain well-known airsoft equipment manufacturer was seeking to gain exclusive rights to import WE guns into the USA and, when they failed, they decided to report WE to the ATF.

I can't really say any more because I'm probably not in possesion of all the facts but make no mistake that this is a classic case of the airsoft industry cutting its own throat.

*replying to bolded words above*

Certainly you do not mean that... XD

Archived