Prototype MTEK ARM-3 Face shield

I orginally contacted MTEK back in the fall of 2009 about getting a patch or decal of their emblem. I mentioned I play airsoft, and was told they had just had an office conversation about possibly making a replica version of the G3C. This is what came of many emails between me and Ben Mahan of MTEK.

MTEK ARM-3 FACE SHIELD

Well after alot of patient waiting on my part and alot of work on MTEK's part, I received in the mail on Saturday my very own ARM-3!

The ARM-3 is MTEK's airsoft version of the G3C, it is identical in appearance with the real version, it just lacks the ballistic protection. Included in the package you receive, the face shield, mounting brackets, two different lengths of bolts and a handy little instruction booklet.

Everything came nicely packed and wrapped in bubble packaging. The company is located in lower Indiana so transit time was only two days. The face shield looks and feels very nicely built and very sturdy. It has a noticeable weight to it and if I didn't know it, might actually be able to be passed of as the real version.

Assembling it on the helmet was a piece of cake. Simple remove the old hardware holding your helmets harness in and simple place the mounting brackets on, remount the bracket and harness with the appropriate hardware supplied. The mounting brackets have various slots to fit different helmets and allow room to be adjusted once the shield is on. The mounting brackets also include a clever slot to run goggle straps through and will act as a retention device for them.

The face shield by itself does have some noticeable weight to it, and will easily deflect any stray rounds that may be coming at your face. It also features a semi-rigid design and can actually be formed to the users preference to help acquire the all important cheek weld. I had no problem using my stock iron sights on my M4 with this shield attached.

The face shield also has adjustment points on it for the user to fine tune it after it is placed on the helmet. Placing it on the helmet is actually a very easy process, there are a pair of ledges on the helmet brackets, simple set the face shield brackets on these and slide the face shield back until it clicks into place on both sides. When in place on the helmet provide cover to the lower face along with ears and nose, without interfering with com gear or goggles. To remove it is even easier then installing it. At the back of both the brackets on the helmet are two buttons, push these buttons in and the mask springs forward. No having to push or tug on it while you push the buttons.

The weight of the face shield that I mentioned earlier, is barely noticeable when it is mounted on the helmet. I believe because of the design of the brackets, allowing a longer surface area to help distribute the load evenly onto the helmet allows for a less noticeable load.

Overall I'm very impressed with this piece and to be honest am a little embarrassed to have it sit next to some of my clone gear. It offers a unique look with all the various colors and patterns available and is far more fitting for airsoft then the old paintball masks. Although it is not for everyone, still in the prototype stage and costing $70, those that do feel they want to protect their faces better and look professional, should look into the MTEK ARM-3 face shield. If you'd like more information on this item, or possibly purchasing one, contact MTEK Weapon Systems at www.mtekweaponsystems.com.

Many thanks to Ben Mahan of MTEK for allowing me the opportunity to test this.

Inside the box-

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/No...TEK/package.jpg

Shield-

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/No...r/MTEK/mask.jpg

Hardware and brackets-

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/No...r/MTEK/book.jpg

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/No...MTEK/mounts.jpg

Face forward-

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/No...er/GEDC0002.jpg

Face sideways-

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/No...er/GEDC0003.jpg

MTEK looking down an AKM-

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/No...TEK/photo-4.jpg

Full look-

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/No...icalHallway.jpg

-Chad

*Other then lots of emails and feedback, I am in no way associated with MTEK, I payed for my sample, and get no bonuses for my review, or others purchase of this item :) *

*Orginally posted on my home forum, Michigan Airsoft Boards*

Edited by Noobgunner

That's awesome! I met those guys at SHOT Show this year and was really impressed by their product. Really good bunch of marines and were passionate about making something that worked right for the guys back in theater.

So was that $70 for the replica face shield plus all hardware? Or just the face shield? And what colors did you have options for?

Good review!

That's awesome! I met those guys at SHOT Show this year and was really impressed by their product. Really good bunch of marines and were passionate about making something that worked right for the guys back in theater.

So was that $70 for the replica face shield plus all hardware? Or just the face shield? And what colors did you have options for?

Good review!

Yeah they are a really good bunch of guys, haven't met them yet but maybe will take a trip down there.

It includes the face shield, rails and hardware/book. Currently they are using the same rails and hardware as the real version but probably will switch to a standard bolt when it goes mainstream. As for colors, I believe they had just gotten in foilage green, black, and coyote Brown, they also had gray. As far as patterns, he said pretty much anything, although some of the more rare patterns would cost extra like multicam. But in stock I had the choice of OD, woodland, black, acu, coyote brown, one of the pictures they sent he's rocking some sweet marpat.

Feel free to contact them if you want, I have been talking with Ben Mahan, creater/designer/founder what ever you'd like to call him :)

-Chad

Looks good, couple of questions, I assume this is a MICH only thing or is it adaptable to things like an IBH etc?

How well does it play with comms set ups (peltors, sordins)?

Other than that this looks like a good bit of kit for CQB as I really hate the traditional paintball full face mask.

Not sure on the exact fits, but it "will fit basically any derivative of the PASGT helmet shell- so LWH, ACH, MICH, TC2000, TC2002, etc...)' They were also waiting on a CVC to test fit, it has a couple different mounting locations on the brackets. Also it is 1000D Codura, because this is still being made in house it might change when it goes to mass production.

I'll get back to you on the headset fits, I use a small earbud so I can't personally comment on the peltor fit, but I'll see if MTEK has tried various headsets.

Any intentions of them doing these in black? Would be an awesome addition to a semi futuristic CQB 'shock troop' loadout:D

Already have them in black, and about any other camo pattern they can get their hands on. Right now, they have gray, black, foliage green, and coyote brown rails, and the actual face shields are acu, marpat, black, coyote brown, woodland, I think they have a straight OD, even mentioned being able to make them in multicam, and if they don't have it, Ben said they can probably get it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...