How things have changed

GuzziHero

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1957 – Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack’s shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2007 – School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and

teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1957 – Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2007 – Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won’t be still in class, disrupts other students.

1957 – Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 – Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor’s car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 – Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 – Billy’s dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy’s sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy’s mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 – Mark shares aspirin with Principal out on the smoking dock.

2007 – Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

1957 – Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.

2007 – Pedro’s cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro’s English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing

lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane pain t bottle, blows up a red ant bed.

1957 – Ants die.

2007 – BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny’s Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 – In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2007 – Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Words of truth.

I'm only 17 now, but I've lived in Korea for 9 years as a youngling, and a lot of things written up there for 1957 common with what I remember from being in elementary school in Korea.

I remember if you were late from coming back from recess, you got a couple of smacks on your hand with a ruler.

Someone stole something, everyone emptied their bags out on the desk, and after, everyone was punished.

Students don't DARE talk back to the teachers unless you want a hella of paddling, AND when your parents are informed, you won't be able to even sit right for a week.

I think that's why I always get so inflamed when a teenager curses out an adult in my high school, or backtalks, because I've grown up to respect adults. Which I see is lacking is MANY of the kids in my generation.

Damn shame.

Heh,

I was watching that thing on telly with the woman who sorts out stroppy kids.

The voice-over was busy explaining how little Bobby (or whatever) had been diagnosed with ADHD and was driving his family nuts.

Camera cuts to little Bobby engrossed in playing with his X-Box until his mum tries to put him to bed.

She takes the X-Box controller off him and he goes into meltdown.

So that's ADHD is it?

If so, how come the little git can happily perch in front of the TV and focus on playing with his X-Box without any problem?

That's not ADHD, it's a spoilt brat who's used to getting his own way.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 – In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2007 – Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

NICE B) .

cool post

to be honest all except the gun one could be called 90's - 00's.

as for ADD/ADHD, wether it exists or not (personally probably not to the degree beleived). Ritalin is one hell of a drug! You too would be *fruitcage*ed up if you took those things 3 times a day.

Clinical depression is recognised globally in all quarters. ADHD is not.

Most of the controvesy about adhd seems to be how its diagnosed rather then if its a real condition or not. I think its rather simplistic to dismiss it entirly as just kids acting up, espicially given how it affects adults aswell.

I mean, unless your a scientologist, or maybe Jeremy Clarkson ;)

I think that's why I always get so inflamed when a teenager curses out an adult in my high school, or backtalks, because I've grown up to respect adults. Which I see is lacking is MANY of the kids in my generation.

Nah, that's entirely justified. A lot of adults are dumber than teenagers. I think I need to read more as I'm feeling I'm getting stupid.

I'm Jeremy Clarkson. ;)

My problem with ADHD isn't if it's a disease or not, but rather that everyone uses it as a crutch to explain why they are doing something wrong. It's really not fair to the people around them who have to deal with their behavior, and it's down right cruel to the people who actually have a real case of ADHD, who now, because of everyone else cocking it up, must suffer from people's scorn.

Like every other disease, it can be managed and overcome (to an extent, I'm making a gross generalization here), but there are people who choose to say "oh, I can't do that because I have ADHD." Those are the people who truly suck. Don't blame the disease till after you have tried, tried, and tried again.

No, I am Spartacus!

spartacush.jpg

On a more serious side, especially the teacher parts are frightening because we talk of them in my teacher studies all the time. Touching a student isn't downright illegal yet (we actually are allowed to remove them physically with witnesses evident), but a teacher has to be really, really careful nowadays. Lawsuits, trashy newspapers...

My problem with ADHD isn't if it's a disease or not, but rather that everyone uses it as a crutch to explain why they are doing something wrong. It's really not fair to the people around them who have to deal with their behavior, and it's down right cruel to the people who actually have a real case of ADHD, who now, because of everyone else cocking it up, must suffer from people's scorn.

Like every other disease, it can be managed and overcome (to an extent, I'm making a gross generalization here), but there are people who choose to say "oh, I can't do that because I have ADHD." Those are the people who truly suck. Don't blame the disease till after you have tried, tried, and tried again.

Haha, this is good for the humour and jokes!

What a load of bull.

Archived