How things have changed

GuzziHero

I'm Jeremy Clarkson. ;)

My problem with ADHD isn't if it's a disease or not, but rather that everyone uses it as a crutch to explain why they are doing something wrong. It's really not fair to the people around them who have to deal with their behavior, and it's down right cruel to the people who actually have a real case of ADHD, who now, because of everyone else cocking it up, must suffer from people's scorn.

Like every other disease, it can be managed and overcome (to an extent, I'm making a gross generalization here), but there are people who choose to say "oh, I can't do that because I have ADHD." Those are the people who truly suck. Don't blame the disease till after you have tried, tried, and tried again.

That is convenient as it isn't a disease.

Also, you evidently don't realise how much any disability can get a person down, and even cause clinical depression. Unless you have actually experienced such a situation saying something such as "dont blame the disability until you have tried, tried and tried again" is quite frankly daft and insulting. It is generally a good rule to not comment on issues you have no experience or expertise in.

I also had to laugh at the way everyone seemed to conveniently ignore Marlowe's post.

I also had to laugh at the way everyone seemed to conveniently ignore Marlowe's post.

Given the way teenagers today act compared to how they did 20, 30 or 50 years ago, I'm honestly not sure it's wise to rely on guidance from the people tasked with the education of young people today.

Given the way teenagers today act compared to how they did 20, 30 or 50 years ago, I'm honestly not sure it's wise to rely on guidance from the people tasked with the education of young people today.

It's the pompous and arrogant attitude of a populace which believes they know 'what's best' for individuals which is precisely why all individuals, not just children are so spoilt and disrespectful of authority figures now. ;)

Perhaps if teachers and lecturers still had the same level of autonomy and authority as they did in the 50s you would not have the same level of arrogance in the population. :)

I see exactly what Marlowe's referring to. Everyone has come to believe they are on expert on global warming, gun control, mental health, the economy, international policy, etc. It's one thing to have an opinion, but its completely different when you value your own opinion over that of the experts in that field

I see exactly what Marlowe's referring to. Everyone has come to believe they are on expert on global warming, gun control, mental health, the economy, international policy, etc. It's one thing to have an opinion, but its completely different when you value your own opinion over that of the experts in that field

Seconded. Public opinion has in many recent cases (see drug reclassification and subsequent crucifictions) replaced professional judgement. Here is a true tale told briefly that illustrates my point:

There once was a man in the Royal Navy called Captain Cole.

Captain Cole designed a ship with lots of guns and a very low freeboard.

The engineers at the shipyards said it wouldn't work and wouldn't build it.

Captain Cole got every paper in the country to treat it as a matter of national pride.

Captain Cole got his ship.

The ship capsized and sank on it's maiden voyage.

The entire crew drowned including the good Captain Cole and the first Lord of the Admiralty's son.

The engineers Lol'd.

Nobody learned any lessons.

This is why tabloid politics are causing balls up after balls up.

I will get back to this post later with references when I can find them (in a book buried deep in my shelves.)

It's the pompous and arrogant attitude of a populace which believes they know 'what's best' for individuals which is precisely why all individuals, not just children are so spoilt and disrespectful of authority figures now. ;)

Perhaps if teachers and lecturers still had the same level of autonomy and authority as they did in the 50s you would not have the same level of arrogance in the population. :)

Indeed.

And yet it seems that in years gone by an unruly child would be given a clip around the ear and told to get on with their work rather than having their apparent "disorder" recognised and treated as a major issue.

Public opinion has in many recent cases (see drug reclassification and subsequent crucifictions) replaced professional judgement.

And yet it was the professionals who wanted a more liberal attitude toward drugs and it was the politicians who sought to impose more rigid restrictions.

In both these cases the fundamental issue seems to be that, paradoxically, we're saying that "things were better in the old days" while, at the same time, trying to justify a more modern, liberal, approach.

The one i love is the old people that are around 70-80 and tell me that 'back in my youth ('39-'45) it was all quiet and peaceful.

Yeah because maybe the air raids didn't happen and we weren't in the biggest conflict in human history?

:unsure:

But to be honest the reason for the difference i find is to be the blame of two things, one is the lack of authority to act and the way we have quickly copied this American way of 'sueing' and 'using the law' for every little niggle to get excessive amounts of money from an authoritive body, meaning no-one can be authoritive in case it affects someone else.

Just to add to this try the story of a school up here where to teach children about the Holocaust they segregated them and told half that they would never see there parents due to when they were born in the year. I had this exercise at school (back in the school year of 1998-1999) and we learned a decent lesson on history.

This time the parents went up in arms when the children cried and came home telling there parents. To be honest i have found that it has only been in the last decade that things have deteriorated into the state they are now but it is only going to get worse to be honest.

But meh, it is my generation and i'm putting up with it.

'FireKnife'

The one i love is the old people that are around 70-80 and tell me that 'back in my youth ('39-'45) it was all quiet and peaceful.

Yeah because maybe the air raids didn't happen and we weren't in the biggest conflict in human history?

I don't know what you're talking about. You need to stop making up crazy stories; there are impressionable young lads on here. I'll send one of my guys over to talk to you

Archived