Turbochargers

Stealthbomber

Yet another random question to Arnies members...

Anybody know of a website where I can get lots of detailed info' about specific turbochargers?

Ideally, I need data sheets that specify stuff like turbine speed, volumetric capacity and pressure etc but I also need to know stuff related to the oil system such as how many l/min the bearings use and what oil pressure is required.

This is for something related to work.

It's not getting used in a conventional application.

I just need to have a look at as much information as possible so I can decide if it's possible to rig up a turbocharger as a high volume/low pressure compressor.

By specific do you mean you had specific ones in mind or you wanted data for individual models?

The 2nd one.

Basically, I don't even need to pick a specific one yet.

All I need to do is find info that'll show what's neccesary to set up a turbo that provides X cfm flow at Y psi.

Once I've done that I can get an idea of whether what I'm considering is possible or not.

Maybe try asking a Mech. Eng. if you know any, I'm sure they must have data sheets in a big book of sorts for practically everything. It's not like they would do work again if someone else has already made the calculations for them (just like how Programmers use libraries that someone else has made so they don't have to reinvent the wheel).

FWIW, this isn't going to be used for anything glamorous.

It's just an idea for using an additional turbocharger in the exhaust of a piece of machinery to pressurise it and stop stuff like dirt, rain and other crud getting inside.

Currently compressed air bottles are used but the company recently had an incident where somebody important delegated the job of ordering the air bottles to a junior guy who then got given something else to do instead.

As a result, a supply vessel (costing £100,000 a day) sailed to an oil rig and unloaded a bunch of stuff that couldn't be used because the air purging system wasn't functional.

This cost the company over half a million quid in lost revenue (that's lost hire rate and the cost of hiring their own vessel to rush air bottles out to the rig cos you can't put compressed air bottles on a chopper), cost the client about 8 days of production at £1million a day.

I'm looking at ways for the units to generate their own air.

A regular compressor (like a paint-spraying one) won't have the capacity.

They DO sometimes hire big industrial compressors to run with the machines but that takes up deck space and adds to shipping weight.

For the sake of a few £k development I'm sure a turbo could be used as a compressor.

the way i see it, stealth, is that turbos are more like high pressure/low volume compressors. the physical space inside a turbo isnt a lot at all, but they can kick out a fair amount of pressure.

were you planning on mating it to a pressure tank, or similar?

i'd agree with contacting Garret, they make a majority of the turbos for VW group cars, and rarely go wrong.

heres the webby: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/

example: heres a typical product page from garrat, gives a fair amount of data, i imagine a lot more would be available on request. http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre...76_452159_1.htm

Actually Garrett has gone to ###### quality wise in the manufacturing in recent years. They have been exporting a LOT of production to China and Mexico, and failure rates have skyrocketed. In fact last I heard they are closing the last US plant in the next few months, and there will be no more made in USA Garrett turbo's only "assembled" in USA.

Stealth the other thing you gotta consider, is that turbos generally throw a little bit of their lubrication into the intake side of things, not a lot, but just a little bit. If this device is meant to keep components clean then I don't know that it will work.

Archived