The G&P Lewis Machine & Tool Co. Monolithic Rail Platform CQB Carbine

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really glad to see this review; Thanks for a very accurate and comprehensive review. I might have missed it but what mags are you men using in your G&P's. I am hearing from my sources that the G&P mid's are the only mags that feed in these AEG's. I've ordered some G&P mid's as I'm glad to say I've placed an order for this model G&P in the long barrel version. This will be my fist G&P and I look forward to getting to know the brand's in's and outs. After being a ICS owner for many years I felt it was time for a change. I've owned KWA's M4, was not real impressed with the beta I bought that was advertised as the most innovative M4 on the market; Only to have KWA change the desine next year to solve all the problems it had. I loved my ICS but it was getting old to me, work horse of my AEG's it just got to be another same as all the other M4's. I got to fire a G$P and loved how solid it felt, preformed and the details.

uscmCorps, Why did you go with a madbull hop up? I know the people I've talked that own G&P AEG's swap the hopup for a systema unit. What do you find better or a reason to go with madbull? Any links you can think G&P specific would be great, either here or MP as to not clutter this thread.

PS. I'm going with an (OD) furniture parts kit. Really looking forward to this AEG.

Edited by Special K

+ 1 for PMAGs work great in MUR/Magpul "long" Sentry.

I believe the hop-up chamber in current/new G&Ps, the one that comes with black plastic fittings (rather than blue) is considered really pretty good, so the only things you need to change are the bucking (Systema) and possibly, if you want to, the inner barrel and the nub (SCS).

MRP Combat Long on sale now at $360. Ohhhh, the temptation.

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=searchItem&item=GP-AEG-AEG010BK&search=special&rs=MRP&catid=&cat=

Edited by mimesis

I was really glad to see this review; Thanks for a very accurate and comprehensive review. I might have missed it but what mags are you men using in your G&P's. I am hearing from my sources that the G&P mid's are the only mags that feed in these AEG's. I've ordered some G&P mid's as I'm glad to say I've placed an order for this model G&P in the long barrel version. This will be my fist G&P and I look forward to getting to know the brand's in's and outs. After being a ICS owner for many years I felt it was time for a change. I've owned KWA's M4, was not real impressed with the beta I bought that was advertised as the most innovative M4 on the market; Only to have KWA change the desine next year to solve all the problems it had. I loved my ICS but it was getting old to me, work horse of my AEG's it just got to be another same as all the other M4's. I got to fire a G$P and loved how solid it felt, preformed and the details.

uscmCorps, Why did you go with a madbull hop up? I know the people I've talked that own G&P AEG's swap the hopup for a systema unit. What do you find better or a reason to go with madbull? Any links you can think G&P specific would be great, either here or MP as to not clutter this thread.

PS. I'm going with an (OD) furniture parts kit. Really looking forward to this AEG.

Glad it helped dude :)

I started off using G&P or CA Midcaps - Both brands fitted and fed perfectly. I then moved onto King Arms/Magpul PTS 360 round hicaps, which again functioned perfectly.

However, i then switched over to PTS 120 round M version Midcaps, and found they didn't feed reliably - I believe this was more bad luck, but the spring tension of the BB stopper was enough to push against the hop unit and move the magazine down and back a little, causing the mags to stop feeding. I cured this with a bit of hop rubber glued in the back of the magwell, after which the mags worked fine.

However, i've since gone back to G&P Midcaps with magpuls - Much sturdier feeling, better fitting and very reliable.

I still think the whole 'M4 hop unit is bad' arguement is a bit of a myth, but that's entirely my opinion. None of my stock G&P hop units unwind (2 black and one blue), and with the right combination of hop rubbers (in my case a Big out H nub and either stock G&P, madbull blue or TM stock bucking) they're lethally accurate with excellent range.

Saying that, whenever i get a new gun (which is always a G&P M4 these days, as nothing else comes close in my view) i go through the same routine with the hop system every time, which is basically;

Remove barrel/standard nub.

Fit Big Out or Element H nub with standard bucking/barrel.

Test.

If not satisfactory, try several different combinations of rubbers and nubs until decent level of accuracy is achieved.

Once adjusted, tighten centre screw on adjustment wheel, but don't overtighten.

Hop rubbers are cheap, so buy a few different ones and find the one that gives the best results.

My 3 AR's, all G&P and all the 8mm gearbox version, including the MRP, all with 300mmish barrels, currently hit the same tree 45 metres away about 9 times out of 10, with a maximum range of 55-60 metres at 330-340FPS. I've never had the hop cause me a problem in any game, ever. Each gun has a totally different set of rubbers in the hop unit, as it seems to be that every gun likes a random combination.

That might just be my personal experience, but it's held true for basically every gun i've ever fiddled with. In the end, if a hop unit can keep a good air seal and push a bit of rubber down into a barrel a set amount and keep it there consistently, the hop unit is going to be fine. I've compared my AR's to ones with similar barrel lengths and power leves, with systema hop units, king arms, madbull ultimate types... I've yet to see any hop unit provide a noticeable improvement on the standard ones in my guns.

Basically, the hop unit is perfectly fine, just fiddle with the rubbers and make sure it's tightened up. Easy.

Right on, I like to get as much input from others who have been there done that on any weapon system or for this case AEG. I've spent the last 10 years in the US Military, two in Iraq; Meaning I like to listen to people who know ;) Turns out this RS Weapon could become a very big deal for the UK Military as well as the States. Seems a 7.62/.308 standard rifleman weapon is getting noticed by the US defense Department. If you can get a hold of it read the newest copy of Combat Arms magazine 2010 from the publishers of Guns and Ammo. There is a full write-up of the L129A1. That thing is putting up numbers like 0.89 inches @ 200 yards with Federal .308, 149-gr. FMJ ball ammo,that means sub-MOA with machine-gun ammo. Crazzy cool man.

Combat Arms magazine says "Each of us was given the opportunity to extensively test fire what certainly may become the most sought-after production 7.62 Stoner rifle in existence."

Edited by Special K

I've got Madbull HopUps in pretty much all my AR15 type AEGs. I like them because:

- they hold their hop setting very well

- they hold onto the BBs in the HopUp when you pull the mag out rather than allow 4-5 BBs to roll out like most other HopUp units

Generally, they're good HopUp units and I've had great success with them compared to all the others I've tried (Systema, Prometheus, G&P, CA, KA etc). The competitor HopUp units are good too, this just meets my needs better.

- they hold onto the BBs in the HopUp when you pull the mag out rather than allow 4-5 BBs to roll out like most other HopUp units

Actually, that's a good point - G&P hops do drop the last few BB's. Madbull's can also take a built in LED tracer unit, but that doesn't affect the range or accuracy.

Also, Noveske; Magpul HALO silencer? I've never seen that before... Looks awesome; There's also definitely a brotherly similarity going on!

*edit* And sadly not, no standalone barrel assemblies :( They did release the Gas block on it's own though for some odd reason.

P1000681.jpg

Edited by hwagan

I've got Madbull HopUps in pretty much all my AR15 type AEGs. I like them because:

- they hold their hop setting very well

Generally, they're good HopUp units and I've had great success with them compared to all the others I've tried (Systema, Prometheus, G&P, CA, KA etc). The competitor HopUp units are good too, this just meets my needs better.

Thank you, good info.

You guys are killing me with these pictures, can't wait to get mine in. ;)

It'll be worth the wait dude ;)

Just another performance/Reliability update - After a total of around 18-20 games over 9 months, and roughly 70,000 rounds, here's a summary:

The steel bits are a bit rusty. That's mainly my fault, if it bothered me i could have prevented this. It doesn't bother me, however.

The paint is 98% intact. Only areas worn are around the edges of the magwell and one or two little knicks and knocks from rubbing against gear and stuff.

The gearbox looks brand new inside. Seriously, after a clean i couldn't detect any noticeable signs of wear. Contacts after using a 7.4 lipo the whole time showed a tiny little bit of deterioration, but nothing at all worth worrying about. Looked good as new again after a cotton swab soaked in JD.

Still shoots just as good as it always has done.

Gearbox still has fantastic compression, FPS hasn't changed at all.

People at my site still want to caress it.

I still greatly enjoy caressing it.

Basically it's 70,000 rounds, a shitload of rain and ###### weather, a few teardowns, a few drops, a few changes and 9 months into it's service life. I still think it's the best thing i've ever bought.

I'll second hwagans' views on this as mine has just been sensational.

The feel of this thing in your hands is just incredible, no other way to explain it until you pick one up, just feels soooo right :P

The quality of the finish is 10/10.

Sadly, I'm selling mine................................. as I just brought the G&P MRP Combat Long ;)

Also, Noveske; Magpul HALO silencer? I've never seen that before... Looks awesome; There's also definitely a brotherly similarity going on!

It's the Magpul x Gemtech collab supressor which came out years ago and they dubbed it the "MASADA-SD" I dont' believe they're still being produced by PTS (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)? I think you could possibly still find some old stock. But it's pretty much the Gemtech supressor with a Magpul logo on it and it works real good with AEGs.

54cdc9c5.jpg

I don't know if you folks in the UK can get your hands on Remington gun oil aka "Rem oil" but it can be put on all metal surfaces and wiped off to near dry right away. Leaves a Dupont Teflon coating and will take off the rust residue and prevent it. It has never hurt any surface of any weapon stock or plastic It's gotten on during cleaning of any of my RS. It's a gentle protection.

It's the Magpul x Gemtech collab supressor which came out years ago and they dubbed it the "MASADA-SD" I dont' believe they're still being produced by PTS (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)? I think you could possibly still find some old stock. But it's pretty much the Gemtech supressor with a Magpul logo on it and it works real good with AEGs.

Just as i read that i'd spotted it listed on Ehobby, but out of stock, presumably a fair while ago. I know what you mean about working real good though; my HALO is probably the most effective Airsoft silencer i've ever used, it takes pretty much the entire muzzle sound out of any AEG i fit it on. Magic foam or something i guess..

Special K; It's probably available on MidwayUK or something, i'll have a search around - cheers for the advice :)

Oh and Jack, i'm pretty sure Bladerunner's turned up like, 2 days after ordering from WGC 'n all...

Also, Bladerunner; i'm insanely jealous :P Pictures!

Also, Bladerunner; i'm insanely jealous :P Pictures!

It is a beauty dude :D

Once I've figured out how the original stock pipe comes off (it's not like old G&P's where you unscrew and the whole thing comes loose) and then fit a new UBR stock on, I'll post some pictures. I brought mine from WGC but that cost $400 plus $80 for shipping, got it next day though ;)

I'm gonna ask my sources for the standalone 14.5" barrel. Who else is interested? No promises, but I'll see what I can do.

Assuming it's the assembly with the gas set up and not just the barrel itself, i'm more interested than any word could possibly express. Don't care what it costs, if you can get one i'll buy one.