Game advice required.

Stealthbomber

There is no possible way for me to dissagree any more than i do with your position :P. Ahh well, each to their own.

better graphics, more fluid gameplay etc. i'll always have a soft spot for quake as i remember sitting on the year 5 class computer at lunch playing the demo.

Command & Conquer. You have a massive library of awesome games to choose from this series.

Tib Dawn, Tib Sun, Tib Sun Firestorm, Red Alert, Red Alert Counterstrike, Red Alert Retaliation.

Ah, i still play those. Even just to hear "Mission Timer Started", Boy did you have to think quick when you heard that.

The graphics aren't anything to right home about, but I love the game play of Front-line Fuel Of War £9.99 Steam The single player is OK but the multi player is very addictive, It plays like a lower graphic Bad company 2.

Elliot.

BF2.

One problem with this - I'm guessing Stealth isn't going to have an internet connection if he's offshore. BF2's single player is really not worth bothering with.

I'm gonna send you a curve ball with one of my favourite games of all time - Crimson Skies. It's a flight sim set in an alternative 1930s America and is one of the most stylish games I've ever played. The voice acting is really excellent and the graphics are passable, given that it was released in 2000.

Also,

Deus Ex.

Deserved its own line. An awesome game, released in 2000 so will run silky smooth at max setting on your laptop. Set in a cyberpunk future, it's an FPS with some RPG elements - you get skill points for doing stuff which you then use to upgrade your pistol skill or hacking skill. But it's main selling point is it's fantastically well-written storyline and fleshed-out characters and worlds - it really has a plot rather than a series of event strung together. It also features choices you can make in conversation with NPCs (mainly how polite and cooperative you are) which affect how the game plays out. There are 3 different endings depending on what choice you make. Has a few problems, but overall it's a masterpiece.

It's a 'big' game like you said that will keep you going for a few days at least.

Stu.

One problem with this - I'm guessing Stealth isn't going to have an internet connection if he's offshore. BF2's single player is really not worth bothering with.

Bingo! Saved me the effort.

Multiplayer will almost certainly be a non-starter.

I just want a couple of decent games which I can get absorbed in for a couple of hours a night.

Trouble with stuff like CS and BF2 (and most driving games) is that they're fun for half an hour but there's no lasting appeal.

Ideally, stuff like the GTA or Splinter Cell games is what I need (aside from anything obvious such as COD etc) which'll just go on and on and on.

I've probably played all the "big" games of the era; stuff like Half Life, GTA etc. :(

Don't let that stop anybody suggesting them though. I've probably missed some of them. :)

Seriously, try Deus Ex, it's brilliant :).

There are also a lot of mods for it, many of which give you a whole new singleplayer story. Download a few before you go away and you're set.

Stu.

can you get saints row, SR2 for pc ? like gta, but without taking itself too seriously. great way to waste a couple of hours.

no way saints row 2 will run on that laptop. it's a VERY shoddy, poorly optimised console port. maxed out, my core i7 rig struggles to keep it over 30fps.

plus its *suitcase* when compared to GTA. just cause (1) is a good 'go nuts' sandbox game, but i think your laptop *might* still struggle.

resident evil 4 might be worth a go. it's ported from the PS2 version so shouldnt be too demanding (plus theres mods and patches to bring the visuals up to scratch if your laptop can cope)

metal gear solid 2 is a classic, you should play it if you already havent. the first MGS is on PC too, although if you havent played it before im not sure how well it would fare without nostalgia on it's side.

STALKER SOC might run on low settings, plus with a mod like complete 2009 or LURK it's great on a high end PC too.

the original far cry might also work on lower settings, i played through it many years ago on my craptacular laptop.

emulators are also a good bet for old school nostalgia as well.

Serious Sam ?? :lol::lol:

just cause is good. did 'Black' get a PC release ?

as mentioned, project IGI is very, perhaps also soldier of fortune titles ?

Championship Manager :unsure:

will run on something equal to a gameboy, and consume weeks of your life. probably not if you dont like footy though.

black never got to PC. real shame IMO, i loved that game on PS2.

it annoys me that PS2 emulators are still so high maintenance and fussy, plus you need a BEAST of a processor as apparently they cant utilise your GPU (for some reason) so everything gets dumped on your CPU

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the single best game of all time.

Grim Fandango.

It doesn't like dual core processors (I don't know if yours is) but there is a workaround.

Also, you can get Monkey Island on Steam.

GF is brilliant, if you get stuck you can ring me, I play it once a year.

Soldier of Fortune: Double Helix

Gold edition too.

Can last hours and with the custom missions even days.

Add to that for it's time it was one of the most violent games going. Especially when a shotgun shell in the right place will let you watch innards spill out.

Then you have Rainbow Six, still haven't done all of Rogue Spear and Urban Ops as there is just so much to do on it.

Or how about Mafia? Actually got a copy of it here if you send us £3, last ages and has a free roam for when your bored. Just for some reason never got round to completing it.

'FireKnife'

Archived