Buyer Beware? The Socom Gear Novak NEXT pistols

Good evening forum

Though I've long been a member of Arnie's community I have yet to post any novel query until I bought a brand new SOCOM arms Novak NEXT (I will not mention the retailer as this is the manufacturer's fault AOTM) . I searched earlier to find wether or not any one else had complaints against the pistol like I had. I personally feel that it is unfortunate to report the poor quality of workmanship (I consider "workmanship" i.e. engineering and manufacturing a different order from "craftsmanship" which to me includes attention to detail and emulation to the highest order) in this weapon while so many sing it's praises which I cannot blame for; it is the most beautiful 1911 I have ever had.

The last statement is the main reason I write this as I find the weapon stunning, particularly the chromed frame (yes two tone blue slide on chrome frame is impractical but I find it sexy!). However, I have to address some disappointing quarrels with the weapon:

1. The parkerised finish on the slide was wearing on the rails:

A. I agree that with some time and/or general dorking around with the weapon this is inevitable, however I found it odd to find this kind of wear after only 17 cycles of the action (where the slide looked like I owned it for 5+ years) I understand that this weapon was not given the magnetized parker finish that automotive parts receive, but I found it odd that the wear was on only one side.

2. The slide had chipped on the rear-most of the hammer well.

A. Again, and this will be the last I iterate that I have yet to skirmish with this weapon that there is noticeable wear. I have disassembled and reassembled the weapon only twice and somehow I took a good chunk out of the slide (upper receiver) where the rail engages the frame. I was not rough handling it whatsoever as I always take good care of my equipment unless I need to modify it in some way, in which case I would care more for hammers than love. This was what broke my heart and caused me to call Novak (slightly drunken from despair and merlot).

3. The Magazine is dorking up for no good reason.

A. Yes I see that the magazine well has two pins which I assumed would serve the purpose of keeping the base in it's position, however the base of the magazine for no apparent reason is now free to move from the front of the pistol downward in an almost 45 degree angle. Of all this weapon that I never abused, the magazine is the most seldom touched. Now even that is pissing out on me.

B. (I finally had a column B for one of my examples!) Also noteworthy is that the magazine base being out of whack causes a slide lock malfunction as well as making the already difficult to manipulate slide loading mechanism impossible without small tools.

I thank you all very much for taking time to read this. I wondered if anyone had similar problems with the Novak pistols. I still say that the craftsmanship was superb in this pistol and mayhap I just received a lemon. I only regret that now I have to return to the retailer I bought it from and give them the bad news, as well as being vice commander to many of my skirmishes and I wanted a sidearm to show some expertise and vanity. ;)

Take care, and I thank you again for any info

Fast Back Irene

• 3 weeks later...

yeah what the other guys said, it's a WE so that's just what you get.

Be careful not to scratch off the paint with your fingernails ;)

I actually really like the looks of the 2 tone Novak, but the memories of my late MEU, quality- and performancewise, keept me from buying it.

Edited by somegirls
  • 3 weeks later...

Honestly you would probably be better off buying an Army MEU and replacing some of the internals. After cleaning the internals from the sticky grease and replacing the hop bucking and barrel, it works pretty well. My magazine has even held up really well also, no leaks nothing. Ive had it since December, and shot a considerable amount of rounds through it already. Think about it!