TM 1911 inner barrell swap

swannie_2006

Hello,

I have a TM 1911 MEU and decided to swap the stock barrell to a tightbore one. I am thinking about the Energy 6.03 112 mm long. Only trouble is I have no idea what the procedure is on swapping the barrell.

Could all the handgun monkies help me out here with an almost step-by-step guide? Or a link to a site/document that explains how to do it.

I googled it and searched this forum as well but no joy.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Get the barrel out and you'll need to slightly twist the outer barrel to the side to clear the part on the chamber that causes it to tip up/down during operation. Once you've cleared this, you can pull out the entire inner barrel assembly from the outer. On the left side of the chamber, you'll see two small screws. Undo these and the left/right halves of the chamber can be split apart. With that you can pluck out your inner barrel, transplant the hop rubber unto the new barrel and reassemble.

step one, remove the barrel hop unit:

Pull the slide most of the way back and pull out the slide lock, you will need to line it up with the hole in the slide.

Allow the slide to move forwards and off the frame.

push the recoil spring guide forward off its peg and remove, also remove the spring and spring cap

turn the barrel bushing and pull it forwards.

pull the barrel assebly forwards and out of the slide.

carefully pull the hop unit out of the outer barrel, it may need a slight twist at this stage.

step two hop dissasembly:

There are two small screws located on the left side of the hop unit, take them out.

lif the left side of the hop unit off.

remove the small metal arm, and the small wheel.

remove the inner barrel and hop rubber.

pull the hop rubber off the inner barrel.

step three, hop reassembly:

take your new barrel and carefully put the hop rubber on. You will notice there is a groove along the underneath of the barrel and a coresponding ridge in the rubber, line these up.

you may wish to layer PTFE(plumbers) tape under and over the hop unit to ensure a good seal. this is not essential but it can improve consistancy.

place the inner barrel and hop on the right hand side of the hop unit. There are two notches in the barrel that lines up with raised parts of the hop unit. The hop rubber should sit inside the hop unit and not "hang over"

take the small wheel and find the arrow on it, the arrow goes on the left(top) of the hop unit and should point down when you assemble it.

Take the arm and put the large part with two pegs over the top of the hop rubber, in the gap the hop unit leaves. The small peg at the other end fits into the groove on the wheel.

place the left side of the hop unit on and ensure the hop rubber and barrel are placed properly and that the hop rubber wont get pinched when the shell closes.

replace the two screws. the hop shell should close tightly, if not the barrel may be out of allignment, try to jiggle it before takeing it al apart to try again.

step four, gunreassembly

push the inner barrel and hop unto the outer barrel, it may need a twist to get it in.

put the barrel assembly into the front of the slide and push backwards unti it sits in battery

place the barrel bushing in place by twisting it.

put the recoil spring cap, spring and guide in place. the hole on the spring guide fits over the peg on the hop unit

replace the slide on the frame, and pull back to line up the hole on the slide with where the slidelock goes

refit slidelock

step five, relax in the satisfaction of a job well done

*Ahhh*

Archived