Gloucestershire CANCELS cheese-rolling!?!?!

Agent47

No seriously?

Organizers ax 200-year-old cheese chase

English race is cancelled due to overcrowding worries

LONDON - A 200-year-old English race in which competitors chase round cheeses rolling down a hillside has been canceled this year because of overcrowding concerns.

Organizers say the event in Gloucestershire in southwestern England has become so popular that anticipated crowds have far outgrown the capacity of the location.

The event has been held at Cooper's Hill since at least 1826.

Organizers said Friday that thousands of people tried to attend last year and some 19 spectators were injured while watching competitors run after — and tumble down — the steep, slippery hill in pursuit of a 7-pound Double Gloucester cheese.

One organizer, Richard Jefferies, told the BBC: "A few years ago, we were only having several hundred people.

"Last year, the police estimate was 15,000 and they reckon it will be even more this year because it has got so internationally well-known.

"It's a matter of trying to find some way of reducing the numbers attending."

Dozens of people are usually treated for bruises and sprains at the event each year.

Cheesemaker 'shattered', 'shaking'

The BBC said all the cheeses rolled down the hill were made by Diana Smart, 83, at her farm at Birdwood in the Forest of Dean, England.

She told the broadcaster that she was "shattered" by the cancellation.

"I'm shaking at the prospect of not having any cheese-rolling," she said.

"It is one of our biggest raisers of funds for the business, particularly this year when we're desperately trying to increase our premises."

The winner of each race, which organizers hope to run next year, wins the cheese.

Come on, can't you find (or make a better hill in another location? :-P (wish we had this in the US though)

Even if we found another hill, they'd ban it. Our government is convinced they have to protect us all from things such as conkers, and climbing ladders.

Basically, the UK government are scum-sucking lowlife dickspits, with nothing better to do than pay themselves a ridiculous amount of money for ruining our once awesome and fine land. I hope they all die, frankly.

Well clearly people willing to chase cheese down a hill are aware they might end up with some bumps and scrapes, yet they still participate. I suppose if a paramedic has to treat a sprained ankle, that's a few quid good ol' Gordon Brown can't spend on spin doctors and glass eyes.

Even if we found another hill, they'd ban it. Our government is convinced they have to protect us all from things such as conkers, and climbing ladders.

Basically, the UK government are scum-sucking lowlife dickspits, with nothing better to do than pay themselves a ridiculous amount of money for ruining our once awesome and fine land. I hope they all die, frankly.

I'd like to point you to the HSE 'Myth of the Month' blog- Clicky

And prescribe a dose of cheer the *fruitcage* up!

I'd like to point you to the HSE 'Myth of the Month' blog- Clicky

And prescribe a dose of cheer the *fruitcage* up!

Fair one, conkers were just the first thing that came to mind.

Still, at work we hired some H&S consultants to advise us on minimising risks - Since then, i have to keep the stepladder in a locked cabinet. Health and safety, while sometimes a good thing, is generally a huge unnecessary nuisance.

The way i see it - A minister gets about £65,000 a year for arguing with people on big green sofas. A soldier gets £15,000 or so for dodging bullets in the name of freedom. Until that's completely reversed, i will NEVER think positively about our government.

Oh, and as for the 'dose of cheer the *fruitcage* up'; I've got plenty of that here... I call it by a different name though, a name which rhymes with 'can of this'.

:huh:

England = One *fruitcage*ed up system.

H&S Yeah makes sense in some ocations but something like this is just stupid , Yeah there is a risk of somebody brakeing there neck but there is the exact same risk in rugby and many other sports and you dont see H&S going BANHAMMER TIME.

The end

That statement appeals to both my sense of humour and my sense of the common variety. Sigged!

Another example of the fact we just can't have fun anymore.

What i don't get is the worry, the people that turn out for this know they are going to get shoved around and potentially injured, like us airsofters know we are going to get shot and bruised.

I just don't see why we can't have this kind of fun any more?

'FireKnife'

Its because of problems with overcrowding, not about people breaking necks, it says it right at the top of the article.

I thought it was because of the need to create news stories that demostrate how silly we all are these days? :unsure:

Once something like this is highlighted in the media it can't win.

The publicity generates more interest and then they either print a story like this or, a week later, they publish a story about how wrong it is that an 8 year old boy was hospitalised after being trampled during some pointless, antiquated, event.

It is a bit sad when summat like this gets stopped but the real stupid story is about how easily we accept a POV we're given by the media.

Its because of problems with overcrowding, not about people breaking necks, it says it right at the top of the article.

If that's true, why not just limit the amount of spectators?

They don't cancel the FA cup (or what ever it's called) because of too much interest. :huh:

My bet is the event organisers are frightened that it is getting 'out of control'. They have been used to running a village fate & it's now potentially a point of national interest.

Facing a shift in gear, I think they see the easy option,,,,,,,,,,,, better to bail than fail.

We live in obscure times 'have you had a fall at work', etc. Play station generation kids wrapped in the cotton wool of the nanny state, who 'know their rights', can have a negative effect, when your neck is on the line.

The meer threat, of a potential risk, that may never happen, is enough to make all but the feint hearted, back out.

This & the extra organisation required for a larger event???????

Greg.

Without wanting to be one of those animal rights extremists, does there not seem like there is something a 'mite' cruel about dropping awhat appears to be a stunned turkey out of a moving plane?

I totaly agree with you on that, I can watch people geting run over etc and not care but when it comes to animals it acturly makes me angry.

(Im Sick ...)

That statement appeals to both my sense of humour and my sense of the common variety. Sigged!

Heh, glad to know someone else shares my cynical attitude! :P

And Dave, i'm amazed you saw the 'can of ######' part before i managed to edit in time, which took me about 8 seconds... HOWEVER; i did say 'rhymes with' not 'is' =D

Archived