Marushin M629 X-Cartridge

Apologies for the delay.

Anyway, it all started with this thread. My post is #14, yea I ordered it after seeing it in the news thread, whatever, it was shiny. I like shiny.

After getting stopped at customs, having to pay the vat charge (about £8) and the Parcel Farce RANSOM fee (£13.50), the grand total was £95 shipped from Redwolf airsoft. Quite an expensive impulse buy, I'll admit - but worth every penny. It's about the same price as a TM Colt Python revolver is in the UK, for reference.

I don't know *suitcase* about revolvers really, but I liked the look of it, and as I said...it was shiny. I used one once (another Marushin, not sure on the particular model, but it was an old 8mm with shells), which was fun enough to shoot, and pretty powerful to boot.

Anyway, first impressions were, it was shiny. Very shiny, in fact, I was very impressed with the finish. After shooting it, however, I was much more impressed with the performance.

I think I'll just quote myself:

Right, got it today :D

Now, I sort of realised whilst waiting for it that I pretty much only bought it because it was shiny. Thankfully I'm not disappointed.

A few things: Adjustable hop up is present :D

First thing I noticed when opening the package, a little allen key sitting on top of all the paperwork. Quick check, and there is a hole to put it in, very happy kruck.

Using 134a and the included BBs, accuracy was shocking. At 6m, or thereabouts, none were near the point of aim, but in an 5" group to the lower right of the point of aim (still much better accuracy than the shocking Army R45 and R17 I used to have).

I looked at the target and noticed the BBs hadn't actually penetrated the paper. I grabbed the propane, loaded up with .28g bbs, applied a bit more hop up, and got shooting.

Short story: excellent.

Long Story: BBs all grouped nicely in about 1.5-2" to the lower right of the point of aim.

Loaded up again, 6 more BBs on top of the previous 6. Excellent.

Rear sight is adjustable (sort of), and after adjustments all shots hitting just below the point of aim in a nice grouping.

If you can't be arsed to read that; don't bother with 134a, it's ######. Don't bother with .2g (tested later) or the included BBs, also ######. The hop up is adjustable, with a 1.5mm allen key.

After a bit, I shot myself with it. Since the results are unscientific, as I didn't use a gun I knew the FPS of as a control group, I was too *beep* to shoot myself again, I'll not include them here. Ignoring the fail human chrono, here are the actual chrono results:

0.28g BBs, with propane at 17°C (ish)

Single action:

Double action:

This equates to (for single action) around 0.8J, or about 290fps w/ .2g

More than skirmishable then. In freezing weather, I could get 40rds off before the gas is depleted. At room temperature, at least 50, after this the shot power trails off, with the gas completely out after 65 or so.

Accuracy tests:

Pictures of groupings. (one flier in the last one).

SA5m.JPG

DA5m.JPG

SA10m.JPG

DA10m.JPG

I've skirmished it twice. The first time, I counted the number of kills with it (9 +1 teamkill :P ), the second time, I couldn't be bothered as I only pulled it out now and then (first skirmish was pistol+shotgun day, second was an open skirmish, so I used other guns more).

Real steal HKS Speedloaders for the '29 work with the shells, and greatly improve the reload speed. I'm still waiting for the spare shells (I bet customs have them, the *fruitcage*ers).

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. I'll post some pictures when my internet stops pissing around with me. Redwolf have a nice set of photos though. If I missed anything, and it isn't in the news thread, just ask.

ugh, whyd it have to be good! now i think i need one.

please guys, leave a silver 8" raging bull for me!!!!!!!!!

i cant buy anything until may...

EDIT: ######, they kept 8mm for the raging bull, ill be taking a 6 inch python then. leave me one!!!

EDIT: wait, no, ######, the pythons are 8mm too...

screw it then, i don't really like the M29...

Edited by Horsem4n

You know, 8mm's aren't as pricey as they used to be. ;)

http://www.rsov.com/index.php?target=produ...product_id=3069

http://www.rsov.com/index.php?target=produ...product_id=3070

edit:

they also carry the china 8mm bbs, but from my experience, they're poo. $2.49 a bag though.

Edited by renegadecow
You know, 8mm's aren't as pricey as they used to be. ;)

http://www.rsov.com/index.php?target=produ...product_id=3069

http://www.rsov.com/index.php?target=produ...product_id=3070

edit:

they also carry the china 8mm bbs, but from my experience, they're poo. $2.49 a bag though.

8mm bbs dont perform quite as well as 6mm ones. id also be using it as a primary if sorts for CQB untill i build an AEG or something.

hell, i may get a raging bull anyway. its too bad *albatross* to pass up.

• 1 month later...

IMG_0432.JPGIMG_0433.JPGIMG_0434.JPGIMG_0435.JPGIMG_0436.JPG

If anyone wants any pictures of anything specific, let me know.

The source of the low FPS on double action appears to be related to some kind of difference between the power of the hammer spring. I gave Guarder Powerful Gas a go, gave it a bit more range (.25g sails out to 60m, but the hop isn't particularly consistent, so sometimes they overhop at 40-50m, sometimes they drop at this range, regardless...damn good range), but I got light strikes on single action (I actually got light strikes with this gas with my TM Glock 17, not with my TM M1911 though). As some sort of basic benchmark, I can hit a man-size object at 32-3m every time, if the wind (windy on the moors) doesn't grab it first.

Skirmishing it is truly fantastic fun, the trigger pull on single action is basically zero, fantastic for snap shooting. The easiest method of reloading it just putting BBs in the shells from the front of the cylinder at quiet points in the battle, unless you need to reload really quickly, then it is easier to swap shells with the set from the HKS speedloader (when skirmishing this on its own against AEGs, I had to "quick reload" with the speedloader once). I think all afternoon I fired about 50-70rds, landing at least 30 hits (I stopped counting after 30).

One thing, don't put loose shells in a pocket with BBs, the rubber seal at the back of the shell is exactly 6mm, and the BBs like to jam themselves into it. Quite tricky to get out (and you can't use the shell till you do) in the field. Also, these seals like to slip out of some of the shells, I just put a dab of superglue on them to keep them secure (you can still use the shell without the seal, you lose quite a bit of FPS however).

Next game I'll give it a chrono with Guarder Gas, I would guess 300-320, which is perfectly good for CQB.

I'm looking forward to getting the M36 2" X cartridge in 8mm as a backup to keep in my pocket, when it is released. I'm tempted by the Raging Bull, but I figure I'd use a snub-nose revolver more than another full length.

Edited by kruck

The power difference between single and double action is acceptable. It's to do with the mechanism itself which is shared by most any other gas DA revolver. In single action, you pull the hammer until it is caught by the trigger at a specific point, locked until you pull the trigger. On double action, you pull the trigger and a different area engages the hammer to a certain point until it slips making the hammer fall. In most cases, the point when this happens is shorter than single action and it being a non blow-back pistol is dependent on how hard the hammer hits the valve so the shorter stroke will give a weaker shot. Great follow up Kruck, but as tempting as it is I'm still waiting for Marushin to release a silver Chiefs Special (M60).

Hopefully the M36 (and M60 if it every comes out) will be in line cost wise with the "Police Revolver" X Cartridge that have been released in the past week at some HK retailers (~$70). I've sent a couple of emails to HK retailers stocking the Police revolver asking when the M36 will come in stock, no replies as yet - still hoping.

Also forgot, wood grips are available from dentrinity (~$70, think I'll pass...), which if you've got the dough would certainly help with the current grips (which have started to creak...just a little, still gonna have a go at making some wood grips myself).

Two questions, 1: I'm assuming those are the standard S&W 629 speedloaders your using? And 2: is there anywhere in the UK to get spare shells from? Can't really see the point in putting together an order from HK just for 2 sets of shells!

Wings :detective2:

Sorry, been unable to access the forum from home.

The speedloaders are HKS 29 speedloaders, real steal available from midway UK for about £8 (and I think dentrinity stock them too for ~$15).

The range testing was done with propane+ .28g HPMs/Guarder gas+ .25g Blasters, with the hop up set full.

Because of the increase in FPS, there is not enough hop to get .28g going that far when using the Guarder gas. It's fine with propane though.

I'll try and do some more scientific range guestimates + groupings when I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a summer gun. Light strikes on double action w/ propane, not sure what the temperature outside it but it is hot.

Not enough hop for .28g with the increase in FPS, only goes about 25m now - indoor and colder-weather use from now methinks.

I could use lighter BBs, but I'm not going for .2g and I have no .25g left.

• 1 month later...

Buy the gun from Tokyo-model company. It gets to home. Scratch off black gooey stuff and admire trades. Fire it and look at BB's drop. Start to adjust hop-up. Hop-up screw gets turned sideways and the hop-up rubber is all they way stuck in the barrel. Push hop-up rubber out of barrel. Fire gun. BB goes for a nice 100 feet and then curves to the right, every shot. Drop shells out of gun. Spend 30 minutes finding they're O-rings. Drive to local shop and ask for repair. Local shop says if they figure out how to open the gun, they can repair it. Gun is in shop.

Epic-fail purchase, and i'm not even sad about it. The gun still looks beast.

Got the 8.3" version.

Would i suggest this gun?

For skirmishing: hell no

For plinking: AWWWW HAAAEEELLLLL NOOO

For using: No way ho zay

For mounting on above your computer: hell yescool.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Guess what I just ordered :D

It's out: http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ProductDetail?prodID=29609

came to about £85 shipped with a bag of .4g 8mm BBs. Not bad. Not going to be getting the WE G39 for a while now, but I've been waiting so long I had to have it.

I sold the M629. For the life of me, I can't remember why - stupid kruck. At least I've got something to replace it with now :)

I'll start a new review for the M36 when it arrives ;)

• 7 months later...