Trying to set up a World War II kit

Colosseum

Hey all

I'm wanting to start some World War II airsoft. I've already got most of the required kit as far as field gear goes, I'm just looking for uniforms etc right now.

I'm thinking this will most likely be a US Marine Corps Thompson submachine gun setup... if there was an affordable AEG M1 Carbine, it'd be that, but seeing as there isn't I'm going for the Thompson.

I stumbled across a bunch of original kit in my closet that my dad bought for me when I was really little. It's all in the "OD 7" shade of green (which is fine with me), but I think it'll make stuff look odd if I buy new field gear which is all inevitably that tan khaki color to appease the Band of Brothers people. I've been using the pistol belt along with a really beat up M1917 leather holster for airsoft for the longest time.

I currently have (all original stuff):

* M1936 pistol belt

* M1910 canteen cover (with 1950s-dated metal canteen and canteen cup)

* M1943 E-tool carrier (dated 1944)

* M1917 .45 holster (black leather, which means 1950s-dated but not too worried about this)

* .45 mag pouch - Vietnam era with ALICE clips, but who will know or care

* M1938 dismounted leggings, size 2R. These were bought for me at a gun show ages ago and they BARELY fit. I'm waiting for At the Front to restock some size 3Rs so I'll be good to go.

* Norwegian M1943 suspenders (exact copy)

I really wish I hadn't been such a stupid kid... I remember digging in the backyard at my old house with my original folding World War II e-tool and breaking it, then throwing it away. Bah.

Anyways, reproduction stuff I have:

* ATF repro M1 rigger pouch

* ATF repro P42 camo M1 helmet cover

* ATF repro P42 camo jacket

* ATF repro fake P42 camo hat (fun item)

What I need to buy:

* ATF repro roughout service shoes

* Thompson SMG mag pouch (might just use the hi-cap and save some money)

* ATF repro "Light Shade" HBT uniform, using my Propper OD green BDU pants for now...

* M1942 medical pouch (everyone had one of these somewhere)

Does this sound about right?

If you want to do a WW2 USMC impression then quite a few things in your list are wrong.

Some you already pointed out by yourself. Other things that i would recommend:

M1938 dismounted leggings - USMC leggings are different

M1943 suspenders - get proper USMC suspenders or don't use suspenders at all like many Marines did.

M1 rigger pouch - never used by the USMC

roughout service shoes - better get USMC boondockers

ATF repro "Light Shade" HBT uniform - buy P41 utility trousers

I'm on a budget, and this is just airsoft, after all. I'd also want this setup to be interchangeable between Army Infantry (hence the Light Shade HBT) and USMC.

Who the hell's going to know anyways. The guys I play with are all MultiCam MOLLE gear MW2 lookalikes.

Remember, soldiers, in every army had a tendency to dump unwanted weight/encumberance at the earliest oppotunity. Many armies has an "Assult Order" What would assult order be for the average US/USMC Joe?

You could be considered "accurate" if you drop all of the webbing but the pistol belt, suspenders, dressing pouch, waterbottle/mug in carrier, mussetts bag and ammo pouches.

There is a 'connect to the belt' pouch for 20 round Thompson mags, and a very late war sacthel bag like mag pouch for 30 round mags, I think all the airsoft mags are based on the 30 round mag for size. So you may have to compramise accuacy for function.

...There is a 'connect to the belt' pouch for 20 round Thompson mags, and a very late war sacthel bag like mag pouch for 30 round mags, I think all the airsoft mags are based on the 30 round mag for size. So you may have to compramise accuacy for function.

I'm sure I've got period photo of a 5x"30 round" belt pouch (as used by USMC) somewhere, I'll try and dig it out.

Found it:

Riggersgear1944copy3-Copy-Copy.jpg

Remember, soldiers, in every army had a tendency to dump unwanted weight/encumberance at the earliest oppotunity.

Especially true for the PTO. You can see many Marines using an absolute minimum amount of gear.

There is no 5 cell pouch for 30 round mags. There is one for 20 round mags (you can still put 30 round mags in it,

but you can not close the flaps anymore). There is a 3 cell pouch for 30 round mags but this was most probably never

used in WW2 by the Marines.

@Joshua_Rose

Very cool pic! But this is this a USMC pic? Paramarines?

Those are rigger pouches and certainly not regular ones. Not even sure if they are for 30rd mags.

I'm just going for an assault belt order... I don't have the money to buy a pack system etc.

I may not even worry about mag pouches and just use the hi-cap on the Thompson. Not kosher but I don't really care that much... this isn't reenacting after all.

...There is no 5 cell pouch for 30 round mags. There is one for 20 round mags (you can still put 30 round mags in it,

but you can not close the flaps anymore). There is a 3 cell pouch for 30 round mags but this was most probably never

used in WW2 by the Marines.

@Joshua_Rose

Very cool pic! But this is this a USMC pic? Paramarines?

Those are rigger pouches and certainly not regular ones. Not even sure if they are for 30rd mags.

Yeh, checking back it's a Para/Rigger pouch, but it is WWII, and it is for the 30 round mag's.

I know 'cos I have repro':

Var160309051c86.jpg

Not the clearest pic', and obviously used as part of an early VN load-out, but at least you can see it in use.

Here's my current setup, using stuff that mainly approximates the look until I can get more appropriate gear together:

ATF repro P42 camo jacket

Propper OD BDU pants (well aware that this is probably a cardinal sin in the world of reenactors but they can f*** off, I'm not made of money)

Black jungle boots w/ M1938 dismounted leggings (boots basically disappear under the leggings... and it's either jungle boots or Altamas, which would you prefer? :P)

M1 helmet with ATF P42 camo cover

ESS Profile NVG protective goggles (required, only eyepro I own that's acceptable at our field)

Belt order:

M1936 pistol belt

.45 mag pouch

M1916 .45 holster

Canteen cover w/ canteen

Possibly the M43 suspenders if I feel like messing with them

This is all on hold until I can get a Thompson, though.

The best places to talk about WW2 airsoft are the specific forums that cater to the sub-genre.

UK: http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/php/phpBB2/index.php

USA: http://ww2aa.proboards.com/index.cgi?

We're usually a very friendly lot who vary from the occasional WW2er to the full on re-enactors who fancy shooting back for a change. As well as a wealth of support and advice for the budding WW2 player, you will also find a lot of very reasonably priced second hand kit - an excellent way to get started and carry on a collection.

Also check out eBay sellers like Memory1945 who sell very good repro suits at very reasonable prices. A lot of us UK players got very good jumpsuits from here.

What you won't find are a bunch of stitch counters. As long as a player make the effort, WW2ers are happy to invite them in. But I'd drop the 'only airsoft' comments as many WW2 players make as much effort with their kit as anyone else, including re-enactors...

Here in the UK, a bunch of sites do Battle Weekends for WW2 and they are blooming awesome. It's a shame I can't do more than one or two a year!

...Propper OD BDU pants (well aware that this is probably a cardinal sin in the world of reenactors but they can f*** off, I'm not made of money)...

I honestly don't understand you at all. :unsure:

You seem very opinionated, dislike "the MC look" and quite a lot of other kit too, but then only want to make as much effort as suits you, slag off what you don't like in a very opinionated way, react badly to advice...

...I could go on, but won't bother.

Good luck in your own little world, I'll not impose on another of your "I want advice" threads. :(

I think it's more the fact that you asked for advice....then when given some just said 'it's only airsoft' and pretty much disregarded the adivce given.

If you already know what you are going to use, and that it isnt 100% correct but you're not worried about it....why ask?

Anyways, my main stipulation with this kit is that I'd like it to be interchangeable between USMC and Army Infantry if need be. At my local field, no one will know the difference, and at the moment I'm not looking into blankfire reenactment (even though I have more real rifles than I do airsoft guns...).

Therefore things like the difference between P41 uniform and HBT is of little consequence to me. Same with roughout service shoes and boondockers. It's simply not a "look" killing change, and I can only afford one set of stuff.

The ATF covers are a bit hard to fit properly. I have several covers from different

manufacturers. The ones from WWII Impressions for example are much easier to fit

(though they have another problem: wrong HBT weave).

It might help if you make the cover wet and pull it hard on the helmet. You will

have to use a bit of force (at your own risk!). Worked with mine.

Also you should play around a little first to find the best position,

least bulges / bulges at the back.

By the way the WW2 covers are not designed to fit "perfectly".

Archived