AR15 Picture Thread

What is the advantage of an angled foregrip over a vertical one? Is it purely comfort or something else? It seems to me that a vertical foregrip would be much better in terms of weapon control yet everyone is making the transition to AFGs.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the advantage of an angled foregrip over a vertical one? Is it purely comfort or something else? It seems to me that a vertical foregrip would be much better in terms of weapon control yet everyone is making the transition to AFGs.

Depends on how you are used to shooting with your VFG. If you are comfortable shooting VFG with a broomhandle kind of grip, then AFG is not for you. If you are using your VFG more like a "handstop" and employ some kind of thumb-break grip, AFG will be more natural than VFG in that respect. In airsoft I think the benefit is not as noticable, but in RS the thumb break grip is better for stabilizing the muzzle in rapid firing.

How did you tighten yours down? I have one and I've got it as tight as I can and it still has a slight bit of slop, not a big deal, but I'd like it to be as solid as possible. Do I really need the DD wrench key to fully tighten it down?

It's probably to do with the thickness of the molding on the part of the outer barrel against which the barrel nut tightens, or the threading on your upper receiver.

G&P and King Arms often send you those very thin silvery washers that fit on that part of the outer barrel, right underneath where the nut tightens, to bulk it up a bit.

If there's more slop than that, then an O-ring of a suitable thickness and dimension is another solution. Obviously the goal is to have the end of the outer barrel held very tightly against the upper receiver, and the barrel nut likewise tight against the end of the outer barrel.

I did shell out for the DD R.S. tool, but I don't believe it's necessary. I've never seen an Omega X nut, but I assume they're similar or identical to the AR15 Lite and RIS II ones. The tool fits perfectly on Mad Bull (and hence I would guess Socom Gear) replicas; it doesn't fit at all on G&P's version of the Lite on the Sentry.

It's probably to do with the thickness of the molding on the part of the outer barrel against which the barrel nut tightens, or the threading on your upper receiver.

G&P and King Arms often send you those very thin silvery washers that fit on that part of the outer barrel, right underneath where the nut tightens, to bulk it up a bit.

If there's more slop than that, then an O-ring of a suitable thickness and dimension is another solution. Obviously the goal is to have the end of the outer barrel held very tightly against the upper receiver, and the barrel nut likewise tight against the end of the outer barrel.

I did shell out for the DD R.S. tool, but I don't believe it's necessary. I've never seen an Omega X nut, but I assume they're similar or identical to the AR15 Lite and RIS II ones. The tool fits perfectly on Mad Bull (and hence I would guess Socom Gear) replicas; it doesn't fit at all on G&P's version of the Lite on the Sentry.

Ah yes, that is also another problem I have, there is also a lightly bit of wobble in my barrel now that wasn't there before. So an O-ring that would fit between the nut and the barrel should square away the problem? Will that also fix the little bit of slop in the RIS itself? It is a slight left to right rotation movement. I can't tell if it is the RIS rotating on the nut, or the nut itself rotating. Would thread lock be best to fix this?

Thanks

Edited by Shift

Ah yes, that is also another problem I have, there is also a lightly bit of wobble in my barrel now that wasn't there before. So an O-ring that would fit between the nut and the barrel should square away the problem? Will that also fix the little bit of slop in the RIS itself? It is a slight left to right rotation movement. I can't tell if it is the RIS rotating on the nut, or the nut itself rotating. Would thread lock be best to fix this?

Thanks

I'd attack it incrementally. First try an O-ring and see how it feels. The O-ring, if successful, should tighten up the fit of the barrel in the receiver.

The other recommendation, if you don't have one already, would be to get and install a fake gas tube. AFAIK, the mounting plate behind the barrel nut is more or less free to rotate, and is stopped from doing so by (i) how tight you do up the six bolts between the end of the rail and the plate, and (ii) the gas tube going through the seventh hole and into the hole in the front of the upper receiver.

If after that you still have problems, perhaps try some Loctite, but this ^^ should do the trick.

Edited by mimesis

I'd attack it incrementally. First try an O-ring and see how it feels. The O-ring, if successful, should tighten up the fit of the barrel in the receiver.

The other recommendation, if you don't have one already, would be to get and install a fake gas tube. AFAIK, the mounting plate behind the barrel nut is more or less free to rotate, and is stopped from doing so by (i) how tight you do up the six bolts between the end of the rail and the plate, and (ii) the gas tube going through the seventh hole and into the hole in the front of the upper receiver.

If after that you still have problems, perhaps try some Loctite, but this ^^ should do the trick.

Cool, will do. I already have a fake gas tube in there as it is the Omega X FSP RIS so it'd look funny with out one. I will give the O-ring and loctite a try. Thanks, I think I've taken this thread off topic enough.

smile.gif

Edited by Shift

Trigger Happy suppressor? Or homemade? I don't know any brands that make a Surefire replica.

Might be the same ones Perr Mike was dealing ("homemade"). At least I got a similar one through him. Anywho, nice SFW you´ve got there boomheadshot. Makes me miss my own that I sold :(

Now back to pics:

M4DD009b.jpg

M4DD022.jpg

M4medDDPEQ15011.jpg

Didn´t really expect that DE DD-rail to be so "bling bling". Guess I have to paint it.

Might be the same ones Perr Mike was dealing ("homemade"). At least I got a similar one through him. Anywho, nice SFW you´ve got there boomheadshot. Makes me miss my own that I sold :(

Didn´t really expect that DE DD-rail to be so "bling bling". Guess I have to paint it.

Gah would have loved to get in on that.

And NICE setup. So simple, yet so elegant.

WTF?Shane - What type of RIS is that? It looks like the one in the attached pic, but not too sure (as I suck at ID'ing stuff...). If it is I want one!

In the photo you attached, that was an early Daniel Defense M4 RIS II, never really produced. The most similar current model is called the "RIS II M4 FSP." Here: http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=134

Edited by slu

How is the agm gbbr? I've been on the fence of picking one up for a little bit now.

Here's my 2 cents:

No. No. No. I don't recommend them. They aren't well built. When you have a GBBR, you have lots of mechanical parts. Wear and tear is innevitable. That's an afterthought when it comes to ACM products. My friend has gone through 2 of these already, each one spending hoards of cash trying to fix. Another problem with the China GBBRs are that parts (even ACM ones), don't fit in as replacements 100%. Lots of time has to be spent tuning and setting up parts just to work with other parts.

If you want to stick with the WA M4 GBBR platform, the best valued one I've seen to date is King Arms. They're the latest into the game, which is a good thing as they've worked out a lot of the problems other manufacturers had previously experienced. I've heard that the VFC/Socom gear platform is gaining popularity as well, but replacement parts are still not as widely available as the WA platform.

Just did an overhaul with my AR. Almost there. I need some suggestions. smile.gif

Next items I will be getting are:

Magpul RVG Foliage Green

6.03mm TB

10.5" barrel.

Magpul ACS stock FG

Thinking of a PEQ box which company makes a decent one?

post-55710-0-72419000-1290031141_thumb.jpg

Edited by Genome