AR15 Picture Thread

The M4 RIS II (12") has M203 attachments, the MK18 RIS II (9.5") is indeed not intended for use with a launcher. I think I've seen a photo somewhere where it was mounted anyway with a little creativity.

So a light, lovely gun kind of happened this morning while diving around in my parts bin:

Of course I immediately started shopping for a KAC VFG and PEQ-2. Does it need a different stock and rear sight?

No, but if you paint the grip panels and stock to match the receiver, plus a decent suppressor on the front in the same colour, I reckon you'll be on to a winnar.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The M4 RIS II (12") has M203 attachments, the MK18 RIS II (9.5") is indeed not intended for use with a launcher. I think I've seen a photo somewhere where it was mounted anyway with a little creativity.

This is Socom Gear/Mad Bull's Mk18 with lower rail removed and short M203 attached. But a short CQB outer barrel might not provide enough length for the front mounting strap to hang on to.

5d79ee040167a44984920f10743627d7.image.750x511.jpg

Another view.

DanielDefenseMK18RISII_02.jpg

The alternative is to mount it to the bottom of the lower rail, though this kinda defeats the purpose of having a removable lower rail as in the RIS II series.

Another pic of this alternative from Mad Bull.

c7e23091fadea97fe4fdce32c46e9fa0.image.750x486.jpg

It's not quite clear to me how the M203 is actually holding on.

G&P had a product very like this, but it's no longer listed on G&P's own website, so I conclude that it's discontinued. But they're still out there.

gp_gl_938s_l.jpg

Short... and long.

gp938l.jpg

The resulting CQB version looks pretty odd to me.

gp938lc.jpg

Edited by mimesis

This is Socom Gear/Mad Bull's Mk18 with lower rail removed and short M203 attached. But a short CQB outer barrel might not provide enough length for the front mounting strap to hang on to.

I guess that's why VLTOR made the M4K with a custom barrel shortest possible to mount the m203 via the delta ring and front mounting strap. I built one many moons ago:

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

When the rail extends out beyond the end of the M203 (short), it means that it's the M4A1 version of the RIS II, which is indeed designed and designated for M203 mounting.

One final question: can the M203 actually be bolted to the lower rail of the Mk.18? I see no other means of attachment here.

gp938sa.jpg

Edited by mimesis

Eizen I believe that's the Mk18 GL/SSC variant (grenade launcher/sound suppressor compatible) - none were mass produced for retail sale. I could be wrong though, but from what I've heard the standard Mk18 RIS II won't fit a barrel mounted M203.

Good catch azn. This thread, with excellent pics, makes for interesting reading. http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?241-Daniel-Defense-RIS-II-A-Brief-History

Eizen I believe that's the Mk18 GL/SSC variant (grenade launcher/sound suppressor compatible) - none were mass produced for retail sale. I could be wrong though, but from what I've heard the standard Mk18 RIS II won't fit a barrel mounted M203.

Good catch azn. This thread, with excellent pics, makes for interesting reading. http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?241-Daniel-Defense-RIS-II-A-Brief-History

Thanks for the heads up. Excellent info indeed.

In theory, if that works it should work on a CQBR length barrel as well. Because when you attach an M203 to a CQBR you just need the mod the front mount and/or flash hider.

I would so dig a Mk18 GL/SSC - some ACM company should clone it lol. Though I'd probably have to ask the real steel buffs on here WHAT exactly makes it GL/suppressor compatible.

IIRC it's justs a bit longer for use with a 12.5" barrel that was being tested. (And has the GL mounts of the M4A1 while being shorter like the Mk18). I'm with you though, the Mk18 looks a bit too short and the M4A1 looks a bit too long... the GL/SSC looks perfect.

-OGGY

Forget all that, it's already been said

And for those wondering, the M203 mounts to a M4A1 RIS II by means of two little 'arms' that swing down out of the upper part. A screw is the passed though these arms and though the hole for the front mount on the M203. You can just make it out on the pic posted above.

EDIT: Here is a good pic from weapon evolution: http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Daniel%20Defense%2C%20Inc./DD-RIS-II-6-Stick.jpg

Edited by -=OGGY=-

Finally completed my current build: Prime GBBR Magpul China Doll-LMT. Here are some prelim shots. Still working on the accessories though, so this config isn't final. Will be going with a mix of XTM pannels and a AFG2 for sure. Have a M4 on it for optics at the moment, but thinking about a T-1 raised, but other than looking nice, field of vision is to small IMHO. Any suggestions?

IMG_5137.jpg

IMG_5136.jpg

IMG_5138.jpg

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

Parcelfarce 48 took 14 days to deliver, but I finally got my ICS M4!

From this:

DSC01157.jpg

To this:

ICSM4.png

It took a bit of work to get the CA delta ring on the ICS body, but it went on in the end. AAC QD can on the end to replace the plastic flash-hider, CB M4 standard grips and LE stock on an ELEMENT buffer tube.

Internally, she has a MOSFET, rewired to the front, a guarder clear hop-up rubber and an h nub. Plastic receiver, but it seems nice and strong, so no problems there. Shame to see the ICS wiring hasn't really improved, but everything else has - the compression is fantastic and without touching the upper gearbox, it's doing 350fps +_ 1fps. Only thing left for it is a tightbore, which should be here soonish.

Keeping her as my KISS rifle. Sometimes it's nice to have the simpler things.

Someone mentioned it already but just to clarify, those photos are definitely the DD M4 RIS 2 from the block 2 kit on a 14" M4. Hopefully mine will be ready next week....

well, this is my first picture ill be putting up.

CA m15a4 (bought in 06/07 before the CA lemons)

Internally:

Guarder regular gears

Guarder tappet plate

Systema Boreup Cylinder Set

Madbull 6.03 363mm tightbore

Systema m130

Deepfire Titanium Full tooth piston

Eagle Force 1300 motor

Stock spring guide and anti-reversal

Promy Neo Strike Hopup Unit (still needs to be installed)

Externally:

CA metal receiver

Ca RIS (looking to buy a Madbull 7in Omega instead)

Magpul CTR stock

Magpul Sling and ASAP (ordered but waiting for them to arrive)

KA OPS "silencer"

RS Eotech 556.A65

Guader ACOG red-dot (wont be used really anymore)

Magpul P-mags (not shown)

Running a 9.6V 3000 Elite battery in bag on the RIS (waiting to get it rewired to rear to use lipo....and then possibly find right buffer tube for lipo batteries)

So there ya have it, my one and only gun, which funny part is not working, as havent used in almost 6months (been in school), and tried to shoot the other day and made a nasty sound. Friend (whose my tech) said prob just need to relube the piston and all, so hoping thats is. Can't wait for the spring/summer to start so i can finally start playing

post-45075-0-13462100-1292463309_thumb.jpg