AR15 Picture Thread

Just to develop on this: G&P's DD rails only come as part of whole AEGs. They make a RIS II and a Lite. The barrel nuts for these, of course, fit effortlessly on G&P receiver threads.

They come as complete front end kits as well; That includes rail, outer barrel, gas assembly and flash-hider. It's usually listed as the Defender front set, but it doesn't appear to be on Ehobby's website anymore, not sure why. It's definitely out there somewhere though!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the Omega rail doesn't need a barrel nut, it goes onto the D ring. Unless you are talking about the DD Omega X rails, then they use the same nut as the DD RIS II I think.

Or are you talking about a different RIS?

Getting myself mixed up. You're right; my Omega dropped right into the D ring.

I just recently found myself ditching my rails in favour of regular hand guards since I never put anything but a flashlight on them anyway.

Anyone else taking this "backward" step?

If you didnt use them fully, I think its not a step back, but a step forward as you are saving weight and getting more comfort when carrying the gun, not to mention a bigger battery space if you placed your batteries in the front part.

Im still deciding about going back to regular handguards or rails in my socom... unsure.gif

Getting myself mixed up. You're right; my Omega dropped right into the D ring.

Part names confusion anyone?

ARs always need a barrel nut of some kind, it's the 'cog' bit that holds the outer barrel on, the delta ring is just the circular part with the rings cut in to the outside that you pull back to in order to fit/remove plastic handguards. Some kinds of free-floating rails require specific barrel nuts to bolt on to, but you still need a basic nut on any M4/M16 type weapon.

Im still deciding about going back to regular handguards or rails in my socom... unsure.gif

I find MOE handguards to be a winner. If all you want is a VFG and/or a light then you're sorted with the accessories already available that integrate seamlessly with them; saves weight, cheaper, and much easier to install/remove.

I find MOE handguards to be a winner. If all you want is a VFG and/or a light then you're sorted with the accessories already available that integrate seamlessly with them; saves weight, cheaper, and much easier to install/remove.

Yes thought about them a couple of times, but(i think I will be infinitely flamed by this) I dont like them unsure.gif I like the regular M4 handguards more than MOE ones... but you are right, they are better for accesory use, so Im still hopelessly undeciding.

OFFTOPIC: "suitcase", i just watched Top gear and I already feel my english written accent improving :lol:

I just recently found myself ditching my rails in favour of regular hand guards since I never put anything but a flashlight on them anyway.

Anyone else taking this "backward" step?

I've ditched pretty much everything unnecessary for the same reason; Although i'm still sticking with rails on my AR's, they're all fairly light. For example, a TRX handguard with only the bottom rail fitted loses the steel D-ring, handguard cap and doesn't require the heavy a-frame gas block, so it's actually lighter than the handguards. Same with the MRP upper; Not sure it's lighter, but it's not a lot heavier either due to the lack of barrel nut assembly.

The weight isn't really an issue for me but the rails aren't particularly comfy to hold on their own, and sticking more on it to make it comfy seem counter productive. ;)

Next I just got to source and fit a stock that is a bit more legit than the stubby solid stock I have on it.

Only thing is, I'm doing this conversion on a budget of next to zero. I got the outer barrel and handguards for free, If only I could manage the same for the stock...

Edited by scorch

Thanks for trying to help, but I'm looking for RS, not airsoft. I should have clarified that.

First of all, that is not in stock, and second of all, even if it was, that is FDE, not black. Thanks for trying though!

Since the gov't contract was for FDE, your black is going to be harder to come by. Check out some firearms forums, they generally have more up to date information about that stuff directly from DD.

How do you like the RVG? I love its look but cannot decide if it's too short or not.

Comfiest foregrip i've used, pretty much. I never got on with KAC style vert grips, and a lot of stubby grips tend to have ridges and protrusions which annoy me. Rocked AFG's for a while, but i found they weren't quite 'angled' enough for me. With the RVG, the heel of my hand sits in the indent at the front of the RVG, my lower 3 fingers wrap around it and my thumb and index finger rests nicely on the rail.

Unfortunately, all of that information applies only to me - See if you can find a weapon with one at a local site or try one out in a store, as it's very much a case of to each their own. I find the RVG to be a perfect compromise between the pillar style grip of a KAC vfg, and the thumb break style of an AFG. I'd definitely recommend at least trying one - Decent texture, shape and reasonably priced. Fits a lot more solidly than a throw lever/screw through the bottom as well.

Edited by hwagan

Nice hwagan, i like your style! which model/size is that peli case? she's a snug fit!

Thanks man :)

It was inspired by this; http://store.troyind.com/M7A1_Storm_Case_p/scas-m7a-00bt-00.htm

I'm ordering some proper foam as soon as i get paid to fit it a little better and get some mags in.

As for the Pelicase, it's a 1490 - Not sure of the other details, but i managed to acquire it for free from work :D

How do you like the RVG? I love its look but cannot decide if it's too short or not.

Just remember the RVG isn't intended for you to grab the whole thing it's mean to be used like the LaRue FUG.

Kinda like this....

5095454388_04f8247340_z.jpg

Part names confusion anyone?

I'll assume that's not meant to be condescending. Regardless of what the name of it is, I can at least still install a rail on it.

BRIEFCASE OF DOOM.

Very neat. I was contemplating making something of the like with a padded tool case I have once I get a CQB length barrel on mine.

I'll assume that's not meant to be condescending. Regardless of what the name of it is, I can at least still install a rail on it.

No it wasn't, that's not my style at all, it's hardly like you're taught part names of ARs in school so I never expect anyone to know these things. Point is, at some other time down the line you (or any of the potentially thousands of others who read read this thread) might be discussing a similar topic r.e. handguards or barrels etc and it just seems sensible to me that folks know the right names of parts, so that next time they can avoid confusion and get their guns and stuff sorted out more quickly and efficiently with less confusion on all sides.

So I do apologise if I came across as being a *rickroll*, your view point is quite understandable, purely a mistake on my part.