AR15 Picture Thread

BBB, if you don't mind me asking, i'm planning on doing a review on the Car-15, mainly on the externals - Is there anything else you can see that's incorrect to the R/S? I'll get some better pictures of it up this evening, but it'd be nice to find out how closely G&P have followed the details, and it seems i don't have as much access to old school AR's as you :P

It's only things that the average person won't care. Based on your photo, the size of the hand guard is off. It looks much wider - is it front wired to hold the battery? The real one used rifle length handguards that were sawed off to make it shorter (shortened to six vent holes). Since the front end of the rifle handguards were narrower than the rear, you ended up with a very narrow set of handguards.

The way the stock is attached to the receiver is very different. The real 607 didn't use a receiver end plate and the receiver extension was pinned directly onto the lower. There was a hole drilled into the lower receiver and a roll pin inserted to hold it together. I also heard that G&P made the stock spring loaded? The real one you had to unlock it, extend manually, and then lock it back into place so it won't fall back down. Another small detail, the real one was colored XM Gray and not black.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only things that the average person won't care. Based on your photo, the size of the hand guard is off. It looks much wider - is it front wired to hold the battery? The real one used rifle length handguards that were sawed off to make it shorter (shortened to six vent holes). Since the front end of the rifle handguards were narrower than the rear, you ended up with a very narrow set of handguards.

The way the stock is attached to the receiver is very different. The real 607 didn't use a receiver end plate and the receiver extension was pinned directly onto the lower. There was a hole drilled into the lower receiver and a roll pin inserted to hold it together. I also heard that G&P made the stock spring loaded? The real one you had to unlock it, extend manually, and then lock it back into place so it won't fall back down. Another small detail, the real one was colored XM Gray and not black.

It is indeed front wired - A 7.4 2100MaH lipo is a perfect fit and they're rock solid, but i imagine they probably are widened for the battery. As for the colour, the G&P is gray, but it's a very dark shade, same as on my XM177. The stock is spring loaded as well, and G&P have added a 2nd position to the length of pull, about halfway down. Either way, here's some better pictures;

P1010027.jpg

P1010032.jpg

P1010028.jpg

P1010040.jpg

P1010035.jpg

It is indeed front wired - A 7.4 2100MaH lipo is a perfect fit and they're rock solid, but i imagine they probably are widened for the battery. As for the colour, the G&P is gray, but it's a very dark shade, same as on my XM177. The stock is spring loaded as well, and G&P have added a 2nd position to the length of pull, about halfway down. Either way, here's some better pictures;

The 607 stock had only two positions, open and close. Until the M4's came out, all Colt guns had two position stocks. I know it's splitting hairs, but the gray color is closer to the modern M4's. The XM Gray was much lighter, almost a silver color. There are also some minor differences in the hardware like the front sight base, port door cover, etc. I posted this before:

Colt65302.jpg

I tried to make it as close to the real one as possible. The color of the magazine is actually very close to the old XM Gray and the receiver is still a little too "blue". All the metal parts (except the stock, which was a very dark black) was that color. Also, there were no fire control roll marks on the port door side.

For the most part, the G&P one looks like a retro carbine.

If you remove the front sight, handguard cap, you can get it on even if it's one piece..

No you couldn't, unless your barrel nut is made of soft rubber you're not going to get the teeth on it to fit in to the circular groove inside the handguard if it was 1 solid piece, hence:

2 piece, left and right.

Nice Rogue845 what brand of RIS-II is that ?

I'm after a decent FDE one to replace a black one I have lying about.

It's an ACM one I got from RSOV. I'm a little disappointed with the quality though. The side rails have been machined a little too small, and things just don't fit on the rails properly. Those panels can be plucked off the rail very easily, and you'll notice I've cut sections of ladder rail covers and placed them in front of and behind them to stop them sliding up and down the rail. Top and bottom rails are fine though.

Block 2 WAM4 rebuild. Replaced receiver with Inok model, previous lower was kind of "blinged" out and didn't seem appropriate. F-FSB, note how flush the RIS II sits against the upper, it took me a few hours in shop to get everything fitted correctly.

Optics between EXPS and SpecterDR, though the SpecterDR will probably have to be a clone. Sorry for these horrendous photos, I don't have my tripod or lightbox, so I result to HDR handheld photos. They're ok if you look at them from afar.

b21it.jpgb22q.jpg

Edited by slu

well this took a while to find the parts and build but it's finished.

Systema XM177. Parts list:

RS upper milled for PTW (Cheers Skippy)

GBB stock and stock tube modded to fit PTW

A1 pistol grip modded to fit PTW

G&P delta ring, hand guards, and flash hider

RS teardrop forward assist

Lower will be swapped for a Prime one eventually. this is for two reasons which are the trades and the colour.

Internally only real change was an airsoft surgeon control unit in the stock tube to make space for the 11.1 lipo.

systemaxm177a.jpg

systemaxm177.jpg

I was going to chop off the bayonet lug but there's enough pictures out there to show that the XM177 with it on.

Stop posting pictures of awesome old skool m4's people X[

Mine is in bits after its mosfet caught fire a few weeks back in drakelow tunnels...

Anyway really nice jebus I imagine it'll look awesome with the prime lower fitted.

Retro AR's are nice - especially the retro carbines. I've noticed that it's getting harder to get the right parts and everything is starting to get way over priced.

PRIME made a few lowers w/M16, M16A1, XM16E1, and M602 roll marks. They were for the WA's and I'm not certain if they could be used for the PTW. I'm not aware of anyone making XM lowers...MGC and Marushin were the only two companies that I know of that ever made receivers with XM roll marks.