FN Picture Thread

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Custom Mk48 mod 1 WIP built on an A&K M249.   -Custom CNC machined barrel assembly -Custom CNC machined feedtray cover -Custom ABS 3D printed Mk48 trigger housing prototype

My ARES L1A1 Self Loading Rifle. Where appropriate some metal parts have been paint stripped and refinished to replicate the real weapon more closely, notably the fake bolt carrier and the butt plate.

MK48 Mod 1    

Posted Images

I was googling around and saw this:

FAL.jpg

King Arms Fal. Decided to buy it since the price was right and it's a fairly rare gun these days, especially the full length version. It's going to be my DMR, I've already changed all the internals and put in a SP140 spring.

There was actually a piece missing from the gun, some sort of a fake gas piston that according to the manual should be inside the gas tube. Obviously it's a totally superfluous part, but I'd still like to have it. The store that sold it to me have told me to contact KA directly, not really leaving me with a great impression of themselves. Personally I feel that if you sell someone a product that's incomplete, then you should compensate them somehow even if it's not really your fault.

Otherwise I'm quite pleased, it's a solid gun except for the squeaky foregrip, but I've already ordered a RS replacement.

An update on my FAL. The STG-58 foregrip arrived and was nearly a drop-in fit like Judgeman said.

I also did some work on the lower receiver. I was annoyed by King Arms' choice to cast every single detail on it:

CameraZOOM-20120917193033500_zps85327cab.jpg

The body pins were alright, but the fake locking lever did it for me. I milled of everything I found offensive:

CameraZOOM-20120918100108916_zps9debcef3.jpg

Then I made my own bits of flair from steel and blued them:

CameraZOOM-20120921100139282_zpsbc1e3f8e.jpg

A vast improvement I'd say.

Edited by Yuri
  • Like 5

Thanks guys! After making the locking lever I discovered why the vertical lever that you'd find on an L1A1 for example is much more common on different FAL variants. The knob on the horizontal version gets a little in the way when you try to operate the fire selector. I decided to stick with the horizontal style lever since this way it covers up the part of the receiver that I milled and I don't have to paint anything.

NZL1ASLRFInished.jpg

The G&P ACOG arrived today after spending a week at the New York Customs depot (really strange as I'm on the other coast and normally Alaska or California is where the package is routed). I'm extremely pleased with the end result. There's some wobble between the upper and lower receivers, but that's normal as the screw that holds on the plastic stock normally tightens this up. It doesn't affect accuracy though and I don't really notice it.

I purchased a SAAV, which I modified by cutting out the dividers so I can use it with the 7.62mm magazines and it holds them really well.

Cheers and enjoy,

Piano

• Like 1

It should be noted, for those interested in adding a little flair to their FAL's where it is legal, that DSA RS Flashiders were (at least on mine) a direct fit with no alterations needed. DSA rear sights will fit as well with a little bit of fileing. I've yet to attach a rs stock to mine, but that will be an eventuality.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So question. I'm going through a phase of 1911 and Hi-Power obsession and was debating picking up another WE for a cheap custom project down the line.

How hollow is the slide up near the mounting points of the artillery sight? I was debating a bit of auto-body filler, some sanding and paint and possibly a Mk III rear sight.

Any advice?

• 3 weeks later...

Aye, it is the CA version, it;'s got a maruzen red-dot ACOG on top, very nice fit and finish on the ACOG actually, made a few external tweaks to it and changed a few cheesy internals but otherwise it's a solid performer, albeit I'd kill for the long mags in mid-cap form, 1000rnds is a little much for CQB.

Other than that it is just an insanely cool looking gun :P 

And has go faster stripes/scratches :P