FN Picture Thread

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Custom Mk48 mod 1 WIP built on an A&K M249.   -Custom CNC machined barrel assembly -Custom CNC machined feedtray cover -Custom ABS 3D printed Mk48 trigger housing prototype

My ARES L1A1 Self Loading Rifle. Where appropriate some metal parts have been paint stripped and refinished to replicate the real weapon more closely, notably the fake bolt carrier and the butt plate.

MK48 Mod 1    

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Custom low-pro picatinny replacement panels for my TM SCAR-L.

20619135645_ea66828708_k.jpg

20619138065_a24029c757_k.jpg

I originally commissioned these something around 6 months ago, but given how much I hated the shape and feel of the front area of the rifle when fitted with the stock rail segments these slick panels been well worth the wait.  The original idea came to me when I took the stock rail panels off one day and realised how simple their geometry ctually was.  At the time I'd removed all my accessories from the front as I'd originally mounted an RVG and some XTMs up there, but they made the front of the gun so horribly fat compared to the skinny tubes I run on my ARs that I just hated the ergonomics.  I'd gone down to just ladder covers at which point having any picatinny up there was entirely pointless, so a buddy of mine who's very handy with a mill constructed the side pieces from some bar stock and the 6 o/clock portion from a tube of appropriate circumference.  The screws on the side are stock, the ones on the lower were purchased separately and the heads machined, I'm sending them off to have slots for a flat head screwdriver milled in before getting anodised to finish the set completely.

Of course when I collected these and paid for them a couple of weeks ago, I then saw these bad boys about 2 days later and my world crumbled around me:

http://www.parkermountainmachine.com/store/p81/PMM_SCAR_16%2F17_Mlok_Rail_Panels.html

But that's life.  I doubt the TM recoil SCAR is particularly close to the dimensions of the RS anyway, though given the comparative rarity of SCARs vs ARs in both airsoft and the real world it's not the sort of knowledge I'm likely to come across.  Unless I can somehow get a personal audience with Travis Haley who is probably the only person on the planet who owns both.

In an ideal world I'd get the panels I have here somehow 3D scanned and then made in plastic to sell on as I think they're a great improvement to the feel of the rifle, they're extremely lightweight (at the front of the gun where it matters most), super easy to swap in in place of the stock rails and would hopefully be quite reasonably priced when made for plastic given their simplicity.  Sadly I've not a clue how I'd got about that, but either way I'm very pleased with the improvements in the feel to my gun.

• Like 3

I'm not 100% sure there's enough depth to the metal for a QD socket and I'm not sure how precise of a machine job it is to put the indentations within the circular cut; probably a bit beyond the work I have access to.  Obviously if I manufactured in plastic that wouldn't be an option anyway.  Of course there are ways to go QD with the sling attachment near the base of the stock (if you want both parts of your sling QD rather than just a QD on the front that is), but I prefer my simple paracord loop using a sling that has 2 paraclips like the MS3.  I don't really trust QDs in general, even with RS parts the tolerances vary too much from what I've seen for my liking and stuff can disconnect itself when it shouldn't a little too easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Team FN replica ( sort of :P )

WE SCAR L GBB Black ( What WE makes is different generation from actual civilian 16S, some details are closer to what WE SCAR H looks like )

Madbull PWS Rail ( Real team gun uses a FN re-branded rail, which does not fit airsoft without lots of modifications, and difficult to acquire. BTW I saw one on amazon and it costs more than a RS PWS rail, nope. )

Leupold Prismatic ( Team FN is sponsored by Leupold, no surprise )

ADM QD mount ( Team FN members don't use this, but EH Asia sells this like normal price with 15% off and it's local, why not? )

Cerakoted and laser engraved upper from FCC

Still need sort of 2 inch barrel extension and a PWS muzzle device....... I will settle for now.

Please be noted that the photos should be viewed as "ignore color profile".

I found that some browsers treat them as sRGB and the color will be off and become purple-ish.

BTW the texture and the color is PITA to show in photos, I screwed them a bit with some random filters to enhance the contrast and suitcase.

PbD7KUP.jpg

AwQ8GNy.jpg

4BvYvbs.jpg

• Like 5

I was just reading about the RS version the other day, did not expect to suddenly come across an airsoft replication of it.  Looks ready to go and smack down a bunch of steel plates, nice gun and nice pictures.  How easy was it going through FCC?  Happy with the end result?  It certainly looks good but obviously you're the one who's actually held the thing.

I was just reading about the RS version the other day, did not expect to suddenly come across an airsoft replication of it.  Looks ready to go and smack down a bunch of steel plates, nice gun and nice pictures.  How easy was it going through FCC?  Happy with the end result?  It certainly looks good but obviously you're the one who's actually held the thing.

Lazy version:

I walked in there and asked if a hard-anodize-ish matte metallic blue is possible.

In fact it costs 2 months (!!) since I was asking for a color of a unicorn, the whole thing is produced from internet pics and imagination. There was like....... a dozen of sample mixes and applied on small aluminum plates, I visited few more times to see them in person ( mostly on weekends due to work/opening hours, hence 2 months ) finally the one very close to my imagination ( I know it's a paint hardens like an epoxy, has limits like any other paint ), I gave the green light and, viola!

tl;dr: Professional guys, easy to work with.

I'm in love of the finished gun and kind of rather baby it than smacking plates and punching paper. :P

• Like 2

First of all it's a prism scope, cons of any scope type sights still apply, for instance sight picture works best at certain eye relief ( but very forgiving ) , parallax in short range, very short crosshair battery life.

With all that it's still awesome for what it is, feels like looking through a toilet roll with a crosshair floating in the middle, with a slightly crispier image than naked eye. What? I asked a friend with ageing eyes to view through the scope and he confirms it, while he starts to see star shaped dot in his Comp M2.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...