Your most epic fail purchase

Ecthelion

Thread is simple:

What is the worst purchasing mistake you have ever made in airsoft. And I mean in terms of cost to quality ratio.

Mine is easy. The first skirmish gun I ever bought was a WA M4A1, yes, you heard right. Watched the Redwolf propaganda video on it and decided to get it. Traded in my M14 SOCOM for it too (biggest mistake ever). That thing was a piece of *suitcase* from the get go. And at 59,000 yen (600 USD or so) it was one expensive piece of *suitcase*.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G&G UMG 1st Gen

MOST EPIC FAIL EVER <_<

terrible GB, constant double feeding, couldnt get it shooting above 320, finally had to switch it to a TM V3 mechbox and that did wonders.

My mistake for asking my shop if they had something different than the usual AK, M4, G3(6).

I bought a designer cat basket for £60.

Does he use it? No.

Just waits til I fall asleep and sleeps on me head.

What? Guns?

Oh go on then. Had probably the only KSC Mac11 that worked flawlessly.

Spent a shedload on a full metal kit for her and sent her to Z1 to have it all fitted.

She came back and just p***ed BB's everywhere evry time I fired it.

Gutted. I miss her so bad. :(

Viper Thigh Holster..

Cost = £15 or so, not much

Cost of repairs to my HiCapa = £45

I learnt why people dislike viper on its first outing.. having the replace a fair few parts in my hicapa.

Also I think it was a G&P brand PEQ box with battery. Dear god the thing was *suitcase*, it cracked from a bb hit, bits fell off and the battery inside it was cack compared to my cheapo RC car batteries I usually use. I get faster ROF from the 8.4v 3600MaH than that 9.6v 3300 MaH...

Mine has to be a KSC Glock 26, after only two weeks use it strips a bit of plastic off the slide, just enough for it to *fruitcage* up and not work at all.

Other than that it would have to be the Maruzen P99 i had, just wouldn't work if you used anything under Green and if you used Green the parts wear was terrible.

'FireKnife'

I've been incredibly lucky with my airsoft weapons, but two stand out as ######:

BE M15 HK33: Worked superbly, for a cheap RIF, for three skirmishes, then just went mental. Full auto went intermittent, (the gearbox would work out of the gun but not in it),then the gearbox cracked at the front. Sold the parts for more than the cost of the rifle, so no great loss.

WA B92F: Bought second hand and it never worked. Worked well with no ammo in it, pewed gas out of the top as soon as you loaded the magazine. I never figured it out, so it got sold as two seperate parts for spares/repairs.

Everything else I've owned has been perfect out of the box, or very easy to get going perfectly :)

ACM Eotech clone. Big ###### paperweight. Reticule so dim you couldn't use it outside. Glass so dark it was a detriment when inside = Epic fail.

Despite all the ravings about it i would class the DragonRed Eotech clone, that i bought to replace the ACM, in the same category. It's better than the ACM but it's still poodle-doodle compared to the good old reliable GP121 G&P Aimpoint clone.

First ever M4 clone... Lao Bing I think was the manufacturer. It was a cross between a TM and some other manufacturer and it looked like they had used different designs for the upper and lower receivers as it needed to be chiseled/have bits cracked off it so I could take it apart. I needed to take it apart because in an attempt to give it a better air seal they had wrapper selotape round the hop unit. That tape had somehow gotten in between the hop unit and the air nozzle.

It was only about £85 posted, but at that time you could get a JG G36 for about £50 from china, I probably should've gone down that route.

Probably stuff for loadouts ive never had a chance to use and to sell it would be such a loss that it seems cheaper to actually keep it!

That and despite double checking buying an outer barrel with the wrong thread.

Maybe not the most costly mistake, but definitely my first clone-related mistake.

I've always wanted a SureFire M900-ish weapon light, but the real deal is rather expensive, so I decided to purchase a, at the time, brand new clone of said.

Bought it on-line and waited anxiously at home for the piece to arrive. But once it did, my disappointment knew no end. The grip was crooked. And I'm not talking about any slight angling here, but rather a 15-20° or so. Also the damn thing wouldn't even fit my VFC 416, which I had bought it for. No matter how, or which way I attached it to the gun, the flashlight would still rattle. Also the pressure-pads where a nightmare to operate. You'd have to press them as if your life depended on it in order to get the light to shine. Also the manufacturer where apparently to cheap to use adequate screws in the construction. Rather they simply used wood screws to attach major components. And since they didn't bother to countersink the screws either, they interfered with the picatinny rail frequently, producing large, deep, ugly scratches as the light wobbled.

I decided to sell it ASAP at an auction-type affair on a local forum. The interesting thing is that my description of the object attracted a fair deal of attention, so I managed to sell it for 2/3 of what I paid. Not a total recovery, but better than nothing.

I have now purchased a real SureFire M900AB, which works like a charm. When it comes to quality, you get what you pay for.

I might have said the WEM4 for sheer money spent, but I'm not sure I wouldn't get another one if I could start over. The worst single purchase was the utterly useless "snicker 360" grenade I paid $50 for at Evike. Even though I've spent just as much on a leaky mag or a nozzle that broke, I felt more ripped off by that stupid grenade.

Anyway, this thread is pointless since the TSI Tavor is hopefully going to be the most epic fail in airsoft history.

My first airsoft gun (jg m4 s-system). Brought it second hand of a friend of mine ...2 days later ir broke for no apparent reason and then after a few moew days i noticed many faults with it.

I hardly talk to that kid any more. Every time i see him i want to smack him in the face and take his wallet =/

This is really hard decision for me to make, there's just been soooo many airsoft purchases that cost tons of money and either broke very quickly or never worked at all. So I guess I'll have to make a little list of the first dozen that come to mind...

1. Western Arms M4 - Purchased second hand, cost a ton of money, never worked at all. Put a hundred dollars into it in new parts and it still never worked.

2. WE M4 - Purchased brand new, one of the first 50 off the line when they were first released. It worked perfectly for about 2 hours of plinking around the house and then the problems started. Gas leaks, BB jams, firing bursts on semi, having to reach inside the magazine well to manually push back the firing pin every time before inserting a new mag. This gun was ridiculously problematic.

3. Maruzen M1100 Revision and full size M1100 - I've had 3 of them, 2 new and 1 used. None ever worked for more than a week before they started jamming shells in the breech every single shot. I'll never buy a M1100 again.

4. Tokyo Marui MP5K - Purchased new, arrived DOA. Some electrical problem that I never figured out and the retailer who sold it to me (no longer in business) refused to accept a return or give me a refund.

5. KWC CO2 Mini UZI - Purchased new, the bolt and recoil spring guide rod snapped in half after about an hour of plinking. It was a non-replaceable part but I eventually made a new one out of a Area 1000 spring guide (and inhaled who knows how many lead particles in the process) but it never did work quite right and jammed and vented gas a lot after that.

6. Maruzen MP5K - Purchased new, shot about about 2 mags worth of BBs on duster gas before it started jamming and venting gas every single magazine. Never did work right after that.

7. DragonRed EOTech 552 replica - Purchased new, all seemed fine when it arrived, everything appeared to work correctly. The first time I went to adjust the windage and elevation the windage adjustment screw sheered itself off at the head with just the tiniest bit of pressure from trying to turn the screw. Fortunately DragonRed allowed me to return it and gave me a full refund.

8. DragonRed Aimpoint Micro H1 replica - Purchased new, arrived DOA. Windage and elevation wouldn't adjust, battery connectors were faulty (dot would never stay on for more than a few seconds). Fortunately DragonRed allowed me to return it and gave me a full refund. This and the EOTech replica mentioned above are the only ACM optics I've ever purchased and I can safely say that I'll never purchase any ACM optics again.

9. Western Arms SV Infinity 6" Classic - Purchased new, worked for about 2 hours after I got it before it fed 4 BBs at once and shattered the loading nozzle. Replaced the feed lips with new ones that were supposed to prevent multi-feeds 3 times and it still multi-fed again within a few mags of use and shattered the loading muzzle every time. After putting $150 in parts into it and never being able to get it to shoot more than a few mags without breaking again I gave up on it. Between this and my experience with the WA M4 I will never buy another Western Arms product again.

10. STAR KAC Style 600m Flip Up BUIS - Purchased new, installed it on an AEG, and the first time I tried flipping it up the flip up portion of the sight snapped off and the hinges.

11. Hero Arms MP5 electric auto-winding magazine - Purchased new from Redwolf, arrived DOA with battery acid leaking everywhere inside the mag. Contacted Redwolf about it and they refused to let me return it for a refund or credit. At that point I had to throw a brand new $100 magazine in the trash.

12. Tanaka M500 and M19 Revolvers - Both purchased new. The M500's cylinder revolving mechanism broke within the first 2 days of casual plinking use and never worked again after that, and the M19 would never shoot straight for more than 30 feet before massively curving off left, right, up, or down randomly. Tried heavier BBs, a tightbore inner barrel, and just about everything I could think of before giving up on it. I have no intention of ever buying another Tanaka revolver again.

There's at least a dozen more instances of airsoft items I purchased brand new from a retailer arriving DOA or breaking within a few days of plinking around the house, but I those are the first ones that come to mind.

Archived