Your most epic fail purchase

Ecthelion

Funny, I have an IMI low ride belt loop attached to my USP Compact holster and I have none of those issues... 

The issue with the holster not sitting right might be only with 1911 holters, since I've seen images on the web of other holsters that sit right. However that should not happen!

But the curvature... The paddle panel, with which the holster originally came with, has a nice soft natural curvature, other than the low ride loop...

My bad luck, I guess...

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst one for me has to be the STAR FNC Shorty.

Paid £320 (at the time that money would have bought five, yes, 5 brand new KWA G19s) for it and stupidly thought the quick release spring guide would mean an easy downgrade as it was about 15fps over the max site limits of my 'local' at the time, wrong.

Had to remove the gearbox to get to the quick change spring guide which itself was tricky due to the extremely tight fit between the lower receiver and gearbox shell not helped by having to hold the gearbox shell in the upper because of the hopup unit fixed into the gearbox itself. Got the spring swapped in seconds and managed to get it all back together but then found the various selector plates hadn't lined up and burst wasn't working.

Took it apart again and got the selector plates lined up properly, proceeded to fit the gearbox back into the lower and thanks to the tight fit and daft design snapped the hopup unit clean in half, but at least the burst was working!

Then found out the local site would have let me use it in stock form but only on semi-auto!

2 Years of being unable to get a replacement hopup unit later ARES cut out the middleman (STAR) and the FNC shorty was on sale for about £210, replacement hopup units finally became available so I bought two but when fitted I couldn't get the thing to feed at all even though the nozzle was moving properly, gave up and split it into major parts and sold them as spares for about £150 having fired a single midcap through it.

The externals were lovely though, it looked amazing sitting in the box under my bed for 2 years weighing the floorboards down. <_<

The issue with the holster not sitting right might be only with 1911 holters, since I've seen images on the web of other holsters that sit right. However that should not happen!

But the curvature... The paddle panel, with which the holster originally came with, has a nice soft natural curvature, other than the low ride loop...

My bad luck, I guess...

With regards to the curvature I totally see what you mean! Doesn't annoy me I must admit. Although you'll see It'll start to irritate me now that I'm aware of it... *knocks on wood*  :D

Dboys SCAR-H.

Advertised as well cared for and "shooting lasers."

Front end was missing screws and parts had been hot glued together.

Could barely toss a BB 100 feet.

I took it apart. Discovered the asinine way that it was engineered. Discovered the plastic hop-up unit was cracked. 

Tried a variety of different remedies all resulting in miss and double feeds and inconsistent range.

Sold it down the road for $60 to a local tech who thought he could fix. He couldn't and then sold it on himself.

Most poorly engineered AEG I've ever seen.

My bad luck, I guess...

Had the exact same issues when I got an IMI holster for my KJW CZ 75 - the ]-shaped low ride mount digs like a Bagger 288 straight into my hip and I had to cut away several mm to get proper clearance when mounted on the lower 2 positions. That and the mounting screw backing out mid-game once have done a pretty good job of making sure I steer clear of IMI holsters in the future.

@Vortix, hope not dude! But it's funny how the mind works! Like spiders in one's room. We all know they are there, but they only become a problem when you see them... Unless, of course, you like spiders... XD

Had the exact same issues when I got an IMI holster for my KJW CZ 75 - the ]-shaped low ride mount digs like a Bagger 288 straight into my hip and I had to cut away several mm to get proper clearance when mounted on the lower 2 positions. That and the mounting screw backing out mid-game once have done a pretty good job of making sure I steer clear of IMI holsters in the future.

That´s exactly it, that shape ]. Whereas the paddle is much more natural ). I've managed to contour it quite a bit with the blowtorch, it's better, but not perfect...
The thing is I really like the paddle platform, except for ridding a bit too high for my taste. Never had any problem whatsoever with the paddle. But I'll surely think twice before getting anything else from IMI holsters again...

• 3 months later...

Many many years ago I bought a KTW Arisaka type 38. I think Iv blocked from my mind how much it cost, it was somewhere between £800-900 mark if I recall correctly. It's very consistent in that it consistently jams, the magazine mech is terrible, parts like the rear site are made from a rubbishy plastic, I could go on. Looks nice as a wall hanger from a few feet away just defo not what I was expecting when everyone was hyping up KTWs as museum quality replicas.

• 2 weeks later...

@Vortix, hope not dude! But it's funny how the mind works! Like spiders in one's room. We all know they are there, but they only become a problem when you see them... Unless, of course, you like spiders... XD

I kinda forgot about this topic but I now realise that I currently have the normal holster mounted to a belt for an upcoming milsim game so I'm able to don and doff it more easily for backpack use. So you must have planted a seed somewhere... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

STAR M249,

paid 150 for it, looked superb, had a nice hard case with it

it's worked twice, first time for about an hour, was still working when out it away, second time for ten minutes but it was shooting at 320 fps and 17 rps til the trigger stopped

it's now in bits compete with a tightbore barrel but I mean to reassemble it with a new trigger , a mosfet and all sorts,

Not a fail purchase, but a mistake to buy and sell as I did!

Bought myself a recoil M4. Spent a tonne on it, and the hop unit snapped in two within a couple of weeks. Eventually got an Army replacement (the lonex units required a bit of work at the time)

In the end, it started producing an 80fps air leak. It had one of the best ranges I've had from a gun, but it bugged me it was missing that last little bit.

Eventually I tried everything and couldn't find the problem, so I sold it. Spent a little over £900, and sold for a little over £300. And then realised I'd forgot to check if the inner barrel was bent, which would have explained it...

Possibly not as bad as a few batches of the RS Type 97 motor cage.  It crumbled in my hands.

I just bought a STAR SLR 2nd hand (I had sold my old one and really missed it).   The STAR/ARES had never been well known for rigid construction but the dimensions were spot on compared with the KA or the CA

I found a massive fail.  If I put pressure on the handguards downards, the BBs would fail to feed.  Aside from a massive airleak which meant the M140 spring was giving me 350fps, the FPS dropped further when pressure is applied.  I have taken the rifle apart 30 times in 2 days to test issues between nozzle and airseal.

As it turns out the mechbox was misaligned from factory.  My first SLR had FPS issues, but it was irratic and functioned 95% of the time, but this was more consistent.  In the end I rotated the mechbox by 0.6 of a degree ( a few mills shaved off using a mill and added mechbox height adjustment screws at the rear end), I finally got a consistent shooting Star SLR.

• 2 months later...

Toysoldier Hero 6094. A second-hand buy, it had TS trademarks - and the quality was much worse than ACM. Terrible, shiny imitation of Cordura, everything loose, irregular molle stitches, loose, unfinished threads everywhere. Sigh. Haven't been able to buy a 6094 since.

my most epic fail buy still has to be the JLS F2000; poured money in to that and still was unable to make it consistent :(

Its sitting on a shelf somewhere without any internals

• 3 weeks later...

Im going to say my storm grey baseball cap.   Its a lovely cap.  But its not exactly grey.......more of a pink colour, lol.    Somethings gone a bit wrong with this one,  its going back and hopefully the replacement will a bit more grey.  

Not that ive anything against pink,  my daughter would be very pleased with it.  Just doesnt really match the rest of my outfit.

Archived