Non-believer vs School Chaplain

Triggerhappychappy

Try telling that to the religionists, it is there duty to try and "save your sole" (I always use a fridge, much better to keep my sole fresh) and the earlier they can start the indoctrination the easier it is to program people. Anything that pokes at this process can only help with freedom of choice; mine was removed at birth as I was born into a RC family. Religious indoctrination (they called it "education") was compulsory, fortunately I wasn't susceptible and made my own informed choice.

^That, pretty much. My family isnt religous as such, but the only good schools near by happen to be RC ( primary school ) and Joint RC and CoE (secondary school) ( the local state run schools are appauling for education quaility- or atleast they were when I was young ). Young kids, too young to understand the concept of religion, are essentially brainwashed and spoon fed all the religious twaddle and forced to recite it & show that they understand it/ agree with it under the pretence of 'education'; took me until I was in my early teens to start to realise what a bunch of utter ###### it all is really ( even ignoring all the inconsistancies and contradictions ).

I agree about teaching kids moral values and how to be good people, repect other people/cultures/beliefs etc, but no one should have to do so whilst only being exposed to one religious viewpoint/ dogma etc. Teach kids about all religions and belief systems and not just brainwash them into being good little God-fearing christians.

I agree about teaching kids moral values and how to be good people, repect other people/cultures/beliefs etc, but no one should have to do so whilst only being exposed to one religious viewpoint/ dogma etc. Teach kids about all religions and belief systems and not just brainwash them into being good little God-fearing christians.

^ Jup. My parents took us to church/sunday school/ church activities/ Holiday club etc when we were young, but did'nt force it on us. The only lasting effect is that I'll curse "Good God" or "Jesus Christ" when in polite company. (When not, if its apropiate it will be F's and Jeff's)

This point also Riles when Jahovers witnesses come knocking and ask what I will do at judgment day. They sound immpressed when I tell them all the bull about wanting to save my family from all the evil in the worlld, At this point I invite them in, and show them my "War Room" (Armoury + a manaquin in LHA gear with MP44, and some Piks of varius tanks)

This point also Riles when Jahovers witnesses come knocking and ask what I will do at judgment day.

I just ask them how they can sleep at night worshipping a genocidal tyrant.

This normally results in blank stares.

It's amazing how little people know about their own religion, especially the darker side of it.

I used to work with a self described moderate Muslim, we had a discussion about the effects of religion and during this I mentioned that as an Atheist I accepted his right to believe as he chose and that I expected the same from others, he replied that he DIDN'T respect my right to believe as I do. He tried for around 4 months to convert me, he failed :D I've worked with Jahovers Witnesses, Mormons, extreme Christians, Taoists and even a few Budhists. Of all these the least likely to try and force there religion were those from the Eastern faiths, That is after a discussion on the differences in outlook they didn't try and change mine.

My answer to the judgement day question is...

"If God exists, then he created everything. Including the doubt in my mind that I have over his existence. He gave me the ability to think, to question. Why would a loving God then punish me for using the gift he gave me?"

I've worked with Jahovers Witnesses, Mormons, extreme Christians, Taoists and even a few Budhists. Of all these the least likely to try and force there religion were those from the Eastern faiths

I guess you haven't worked with Extreme American Christians...

obama-half-breed-muslin.jpg

news-graphics-2007-_447437a.jpg

EDIT: This is only in extreme cases. (ie: Westboro Baptist Church). Most Christians I know are very outgoing and respectful of anothers religion/sexual preference.

He said the ones from the EAST were the LEAST likely to force their ideas on you. Did you mix up East/West

I agreed with him, at the bottom of my post I said that this is only in extreme cases. For the most part they are very accepting people.

Heh heh yeah, I think he was just trying to make a point that there are also western religious nutters who will try and ram their beliefs down your throat more so than normal

Yep, exactly what I thought :)

This has gone into the usual juvenile 'religion am bad' territory now (with a few attempts at sensibility), so I'm locking this.

I'm agnostic, before anyone asks when I last went to a church / mosque / synagogue / wat, but that doesn't mean I feel the personal need to preach rational scepticism to all and sundry. Personally I don't see how that makes a person any better than the people you think you are making slighting comments against. ;)

Archived