VFC Barrett M82A1

lionel

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GB tech was VERY helpfull with the gun, they are sending me a new gas system, along with spare o-rings and hopup parts. they also gave me tips on what gas to use with what weight. Also if your associations are anal about specs here are the numbers.

Being the fact that size doesn't matter but weight does. the enegery output of a .2g bb at our association limit for sniper class weapons (which is 550) is equal to 2.810 joules. being the fact 8mm normally comes in .34 and .45 flavors, that set the limit to 421fps as enegery distribution is the same (minus the larger impact area) so here is the chart for 8mm, the 2.810 joules is the sniper class limit, the 1.484 limit is for normal weapons (pistol, shotgun, rifle)

2.810 Joules = .2g @ 550 fps = .34g @ 421.830 fps = .45g @ 366.667 fps = .6g @ 317.543 fps

1.484 Joules = .2g @ 400 fps = .34g @ 306.786 fps = .45g @ 266.667 fps = .6g @ 230.940 fps

oh yes, the second i get my camera and find a suitable place to take pics they are here :) aside from now having the camera, the krylon *yes a good krylon camo job is possible!* still has another handfull of hours to finish setting anyway, Expect pics tommrow, or maybe some sneaks tonight if i can manage it :)

well, the 50. cal round goes much further, and its usualy used for long range take-outs, never realy seeen them used for anti-armor, evin if thats what there made for, also, there is a need in airsoft for them, as they look badass :D

technically, the geneva convention forbids using them directly against human targets (or so I am told), though a "materiel target" could be anything from the soldier's rifle to his backpack.... :wink:

technically, the geneva convention forbids using them directly against human targets (or so I am told), though a "materiel target" could be anything from the soldier's rifle to his backpack.... :wink:

Well first off i'd just like to state: Why is using the M2 50 cal. HMG on Hummers, tanks and apc's legal under the geneva convention? Technically it shouldnt ^_^

Secondly, there are several reasons possible for this usage: (some real, some not)

1. Technically you could argue that "I wasent aiming at him, i was aiming at the ground behind him (or air infront of)"

2. Since 50 cal rounds have a tendency to destroy anything that travels within about 6 inches of the round, again you could say u were aiming elsewhere

3. What country follows the Geneva Convention to the cross on the T?

4. The geneva convention only states that the use of ammunition such as hollopoints, or other "Specialized Rounds" the standard 50 cal. slug only =)

5. Technically a soldier/terrorist wearing body armor is an "Armored Target"

6. Terrorism is a tricky subject, rules have been bent, or otherwise destroyed, to remove them from power and their "Homeland"

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Humerous please dont hurt (Cowers in corner) In all honesty though, I asked a military friend of mine and i got the answer that the geneva convention only states that the usage of ammunition that could make saving the targets life impossible is "illegal" and technically a 50 cal round from an M2 doesnt necessarily make it impossible to heal them back to full health (although i'd imagine that it'd be purty hard to do!)

The Barret M82A1 is a norwegian .50 cal heavy sniper rifle.

first concived when the norwegians wanted a heavy sniper rifle for the use of light anti-armour role.

the .50 cal sniper rifle is normally used to takeout tanks i.e - firing through the gap to hit an explosive area.

so ya see, it was not the americans that invented the M82A1, tis a norwegian weapon :)

first concived when the norwegians wanted a heavy sniper rifle for the use of light anti-armour role.

the .50 cal sniper rifle is normally used to takeout tanks i.e - firing through the gap to hit an explosive area.

so ya see, it was not the americans that invented the M82A1, tis a norwegian weapon :)

We did? Nice... :D

I didn't know that either.

Isn't Barrett a company in Tennessee? According to the comapny porfile it says it was started by a guy named Ronnie Barrett...or do you mean the M82A1 was lisc copy of a Norwegian weapon?

I didn't know that either.

Isn't Barrett a company in Tennessee? According to the comapny porfile it says it was started by a guy named Ronnie Barrett...or do you mean the M82A1 was lisc copy of a Norwegian weapon?

Nawp, .. barret has always been a Norwegian company. dont forget that they may have more than one factory in the world ;)

"1. Technically you could argue that "I wasent aiming at him, i was aiming at the ground behind him (or air infront of)""

the arguement that the US uses is that the US is targeting the heavy equipment most soldiers carry (rocket launchers, m60's, m60 ammo, ect.) or at least that was thier excuse in vietnam.

According to the Geneva convention it mentions no such thing on type of weapon or how much ammo you can carry for it.

The Barret M82A1 can still be fired at non armoured targets, so infact its pretty much a useful all round weapon. and dont forget its 7.52mm ammo .. lethal as hell.

also the Geneva conventions main focus is on the treatment of prisoners of war, in which germany and japan was heavily penalised for. :)

...so a review _should_ happen by next monday :)

Thanks for taking the time. I can't wait to see those pics. ;)

Some info I found on the Geneva Conventions and ammo restrictions:

The principal provision relating to the legality of weapons is contained in Art. 23e of the Annex to Hague Convention IV Respecting the Laws and Customs of War on Land of 18 October 1907, which prohibits the employment of "arms, projectiles, or material of a nature to cause superfluous injury."

Art. 35, para. 2 of the 1977 Protocol I Additional to the Geneva Conventions of August 12, 1949, states in part that "It is prohibited to employ weapons [and] projectiles . . . of a nature to cause superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering."

The United States, even though its forces abide by the Geneva and Hague conventions, is not actually a signer of either treaty.

The Hague convention prohibits the use of open or soft tipped bullets in most cases.

Also found this tidbit at Military.com's forums:

The likely origin of the myth that the .50 Cal is illegal for use against personnel comes from the Vietnam war. There was not enough 50 cal ammo to go around at the rate it was being expended. Theater commanders began issuing directives that the 50 cal should only be used on vehicles and equipment, and not personnel as a way to save ammo. Smaller caliber rounds, which were in far greater supply, were to be the primary "man-killers." In addition, the .50BMG round will go through an awful lot of huts before it stops, so it makes operational sense to restrict troops to using it on important (and more solid) targets, as a way to reduce civilian casualties.

But all of that is off topic because NONE of it applies to an 8mm bb!!! :P

The Barret M82A1 can still be fired at non armoured targets, so infact its pretty much a useful all round weapon. and dont forget its 7.52mm ammo .. lethal as hell.

Actually the Barrett M82A1 is a 50 caliber weapon. that makes the boresize 12mm ish, not 7.62 as you have suggested. Being a 50 caliber weapon it compares in size to the US Army M2 Heavy Machine guns that have been mounted on tanks, humvee's and APC since its conception in WW2

My History + google search at its best ^_^ No offense, just making sure you know =)

Actually the Barrett M82A1 is a 50 caliber weapon.  that makes the boresize 12mm ish, not 7.62 as you have suggested.  Being a 50 caliber weapon it compares in size to the US Army M2 Heavy Machine guns that have been mounted on tanks, humvee's and APC since its conception in WW2

My History + google search at its best ^_^  No offense, just making sure you know =)

Ok you definatly not have been reading what i said ... i know the Barret is .50 cal .. an the ammo is indeed 7.52 ammo, now then please re-read what i put earlier during the day before trying to mention something i already know :)

Ok you definatly not have been reading what i said ... i know the Barret is .50 cal .. an the ammo is indeed 7.52 ammo, now then please re-read what i put earlier during the day before trying to mention something i already know :)

With all due respect, Ronnie Barrett is NOT from Norway and the .50 cal is 12.7mm. Where are you getting this information? Then again, as Jason-Alaska said, who cares as this topic is for the VFC 8mm airsoft rifle! :D

Night Raven, you are quite possibly the worst-informed person I have ever run across on these forums. First off, the Barrett M82 is an american product. The main reasons I know this:

1. http://www.barrettrifles.com/about.htm

2. http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn02-e.htm

3. I have been the Barret Rifles, inc. They are located in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Also, you are absolutely wrong about the ammunition size. your claim of 7.52mm would make the bullet smaller than that used by the AK-47. Since the AK isn't used as an anti-materiel weapon, we conclude that is false. also, .50 calibers is about half an inch. there are approximately 2.4 centimeters in one inch, meaning 24 mm per inch. using this method, we see that 12.7mm is the actualy size.

now, if you can come up with absolute definitive proof that everything I have just said is a lie, i will hang up my guns forever, leave this forum, and never come back.

"The Barrett M82 rifles were bought by various military and police forces from at least 30 countries, such as Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Italy, Mexico, Norway, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Turkey, USA and others."

Archived