Issues with images and blankspace

Both of these issues seem to have appeared with the board update.

The way the images aren't resized automatically means that nearly all of the threads with images posted in them get stretched wide and tall and require scrolling sideways to see the images. I at least find the old system where the images were scaled-to-fit with 'click to view full-size image' option much easier to read.

Not sure what is causing the whitespace issue, but for example the thread on missing PMs had Arnie's posts taking up two to three screenheights worth without any apparent content to justify the space. Could be involved with me using 'No Avatars' and No signatures' options?

Both of these issues seem to have appeared with the board update.

The way the images aren't resized automatically means that nearly all of the threads with images posted in them get stretched wide and tall and require scrolling sideways to see the images. I at least find the old system where the images were scaled-to-fit with 'click to view full-size image' option much easier to read.

Not sure what is causing the whitespace issue, but for example the thread on missing PMs had Arnie's posts taking up two to three screenheights worth without any apparent content to justify the space. Could be involved with me using 'No Avatars' and No signatures' options?

Can you give me a link to an example thread?

I am currently rebuilding all the forum posts - this will take a lot of time and is why the forums are slowish as I am running that update in the background. I believe that the problem you describe will go away after the posts are reformatted from the old style to the new style.

I'm getting massive whitespace issues between posts and the last post is garbled as if the poster has just randomly hit the Enter button.

Like this:

Contrary to

popular

belief, Lorem Ipsum

is

not simply

random

text.

It has

roots

in a piece of classical Latin

literature

from

BC

making it

over 2000

years

old.

Richard

McClintock,

a

Latin

professor

at

Hampden-

Sydney

College

in

Virginia

looked

up

one

of

the

more obscure Latin words, consectetur,

from a Lorem Ipsum passage

etc etc... then there's no reply button at the bottom.

The text is often spread across various post separators too. Just a mess. sad.gif

In fact, I've seen this error across not just IP Board but vBulletin v4.0 too and it's to do with the fact that it's not optimised to display in IE7 (the world's most popular browser, ironically enough).

smile.gif

Seems to me that most often the whitespace breakup happens when Arnie posts in the thread, haven't seen it happen to other people's posts yet.

Images appear to be fixing themselves over the time, so it probably was due to post rebuild issue.

EDIT: Okay, found other posts that break up in whitespace. F.Ex. Marlowe's post in a locked offtopic thread. Whitespacing wasn't as excessive as with Arnie's posts, though still noticeable.

I suspect it has something to do with a box that contains "Currently viewing all posts, change treshold?" in the left bar section.

Another problem is the editing of a post when you move the cursor over the save button it wonks the whole screen.

Edited by sandstorm

Seems to me that most often the whitespace breakup happens when Arnie posts in the thread, haven't seen it happen to other people's posts yet.

Images appear to be fixing themselves over the time, so it probably was due to post rebuild issue.

EDIT: Okay, found other posts that break up in whitespace. F.Ex. Marlowe's post in a locked offtopic thread. Whitespacing wasn't as excessive as with Arnie's posts, though still noticeable.

Would agree it only seems to be when those two post! tongue.gif

I also notice that it does this when I mouse-over some of the editor buttons. Mouse-off and the thread corrects itself (although this doesn't always happen).

My guess is that the above is a Java issue.

IE7 Sp1

:)

I had this problem, marlowe's and arnie's posts stretching everything. Must be something to do with them being admins.

fixed it easily enough, though.

Installed chrome. Was using IE7, which i think may be rendering things wrong. try firefox/chrome/a different browser

I'm sorry that you don't find us up to UKAZ's standards; hopefully the forum should improve speed-wise once the background rebuilding of the PM database / old post code is completed. You could always simply stop using the forum until things improve sufficiently to meet your high standards.

That said I only use this and Gunman Airsoft's forums, and I notice no noticeable delay here. Maybe it's because I use Chrome, rather than a fairly outdated browser.

There's the whitespace again! Must be a mod/admin thing.

IE7 is, I suppose, an 'outdated' browser; but it is in fact the world's most widely used so you should be striving to accomodate your users. I'm not demanding 'high standards' of any sort - just trying to help and offer requested feedback. :)

Sadly I don't have IE7 to test with, I've checked IE8, Firefox and Chrome and all seem to work fine. Don't doubt you but I can't test as I don't have a version of IE to use. Reference speed things will have been slow (as mentioned in the updates) as I've imported and rebuilt everyone's PMs since day 0 on here. That's now complete. There will be another slow period whilst I rebuild every post on the forum to fix the old post's formatting. I'm probably going to schedule that for next weekend.

Image insert test:

tn2_img_1508.jpg

Okay the above inserted image now properly resizes for me, does it look right for everyone else?

I have just quickly edited and reported this topic: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=181194&st=0#entry2274447 and the image resizing is now working for me. This has confirmed that the images will resize properly in posts made before the board trasnition after I rebuild all the posts.

I'm scheduling this to happen this weekend. I need to run the script and leave it running for around 2 days (there's 2.2 million posts to process). Once that's complete all posts should read okay.

Arnie: The image is resizing correctly here.

I've also checked the forum in Chrome, Firefox 3.6 and IE8 (sadly I don't have any more outdated versions of the browser than this), and I can't replicate the white space issue Panoptes etc referred to. I'm sure it is an issue in IE7, but it looks like it must be restricted to this browser. As Tink suggested, the best quick fix I can advise is using a more up to date version of IE - those unwilling or unable to do this will unfortunately simply have to wait for Arnie to sort the issue out. :)

Our work terminals use a combiation of IE7 and Firefox 3.4.

Firefox - no problems - some sluggishness though compared to the old forum.

IE7 - so unresponsive I couldn't use it long enough to check for white spaces.

If, as Panoptes stated, the UKAZ forums use the same IPB and are much more responsive, it seems odd that this is just affecting us - unless posts are still being processed in the background. Is there some sort of code optimisation that we can do, Arnie?

Yeah there's a fair bit of caching and optimization we can do. We have the issue that we run 4gb of database now so we will be at a disadvantage to forums with less data.

There's still work to be done on this server. When I get the old reviews engine back up and the other odd page here and there functioning I will get to the looks and speed side of things.

Ah while I remember there will be some downtime while this server is pulled and the memory is swapped out sometime in the next 24hrs.

I will have to start a thread for skin and colour suggestions later :)

This thread got so bad with IE7 that I had to install Chrome on my work computer just to be able to read it. (This said, I _shouldn't_ be reading Arnie's at work, but home computer let the smkoke out around Christmas and I have been waiting for new parts since.)

So far, the image sizing gets fixed with the DB rebuild. The other stuff, I'm thinking the Admin/Moderator badge skews the render on the board and tries to stuff all the text on the page into or by the left column where the user id is supposed to go.

Oddly enough, I don't see the "You are viewing all the posts, change threshold" option anywhere while using Chrome while it was visible in IE7, could be related to rendering issues showing something that should be hidden?

Back home now and once again all is well on Chrome, Firefox 3.6 and IE8. The forums just don't seem well optimised for older browsers. Glad that there is something I can do - the point about the sheer size of data compared to a new forum, such as say UKAZ makes sense. :)