MagPul PTS MASADA ACR

If you get the chance to pop open the mechbox, please inform/give us lots and lots of pictures on how PTS worked out using a micro switch while retaining the semi-auto feature, as I know that would be an awesome adaptation for us M4 lovers stuck with archaic open contact based switches :P

Looks like an awesome gun, miles better than my A&K (though I still love it and it makes a great backup gun).

How is that newfangled hop-up system/"nubless" arm thing working out for you? Are you getting to do extensive field testing? Great review so far!!!

To those of you in the know, any chances of PTS ever releasing a midlength polymer forend? As I think that might get me to throw more money at them (I love my midlength guns :P )

Unfortunatly I was limited by time/conditions as to what I could do in terms of taking it to bits. If I hear anything or have the chance to open one up I'll post as much information about the internals as possible.

The Hop-Up unit worked perfectly to be honest, full range of adjustablity and I was able to set it so the BBs flew straight and flat very easily. In terms of field testing it was used by another player for a game (I have some gun cam footage watching him) then I used it in the afternoon (3 hours, 2000+ BBs). I'm waiting on more in game photos from somebody and I also need to go through my footage, further to that I still have 40 odd unused pictures from the inital first look, so will post the better ones of them soon.

I have no infortation about midlength foregrips sorry!

I like it...but if im honest im more interested in that gen 3 crye gear!

Btw does it feel a good weight? It doesnt feel like a platicy toy does it...if you know what i mean?

Yer the Gen 3 Crye stuff was very nice, shame I don't have any :( although I was wearing a prototype Multicam Plat-A-Tac Plate Carrier and using a one off BlackHawk Inds Multicam sling (pictured on the Masada).

Also for anybody interested the new Surefire M900V is a lovely bit of kit and I can confirm that it'll take a direct BB hit - as I shot it point black with my Sig and it was fine due to the hardened lense.

As I said in the inital review, the Masada does have a very nice feel to it; balanced, hard-wearing and because of the materials used 'fit for purpose'.

As with Vercingetorix, I'm keen on the trigger too. is it only an electronic trigger or is a mosfet included in it? At one stage there was a rumour that the mechbox was Systema?

P.S. I believe the gear is still CP Gen 2 but just with Gen 3 pads.

All the evidence points to it being Ares made internally, as per my other comment - if I find out anything about the internals you lot will be the first to know!

That's all Gen 3 Crye stuff in the safezone picture.

Looks like it is a great gun. Though it looks a bit shiny in some of the pictures.

I'd rather have a standard ACR/MASADA, no RIS and a collapsible/folding stock all in FDE, and I'm also not a fan of the MagPul sights, but that's just me!

If it's shiny that's because of my poor photography skills to be honest, the finish is a smooth flat black on the upper and a slightly duller (due to it being plastic) textured finish on the lower.

My planned set up is: FDE Masada, 10.5" barrel, RIS, folding stock, with black MBUS/AFG/Ladder Rail Covers.

Ok so every internal feature of this gun is an ARES feature. The PTS Masada is made by ARES, you can take that to the bank. :D

8mm bearings on the bevel gear and 8mm bushings on the other 2, just like the ARES Tavor

Quick-change spring feature designed in the exact same way as the ARES Tavor

2 small hex bolts in the magwell just like the ARES Tavor

Translucent blue bucking just like the ARES Tavor

Yup it would certainly seem that way!

Wasn't the collapsible stock going to be the aftermarket one rather than the fixed one? I hope you are right though, since I prefer the collapsible one.

There are some conflicting reports at the moment.

I've been told that the standard off the shelf set up will be: 14.5" barrel, standard polymer handguard, folding/retractable stock.

Other reports state that it will be the fixed stock - so nothing 100% at the moment.

PZH2000 is right, PTS subcontracted to ARES. Which means:

1) Motors will be *suitcase*

2) Hop-up unit is going to be a bit finicky

3) At some point things will go wrong inside

A pity, because it looks quite good otherwise.

Motors can be replaced, the hop up seemed to work very well, and yer stuff going wrong is unfortunatly the nature of airsoft.

To be honest ok it may have been made by Ares but the external parts of this have the same high design and production tolerances that most MagPul items seem to, so I hope that their QC and high specs have been extended to the internals too.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yours definitely had wobble. And it has since been fixed. Who else's has been confirmed to have wobble? Because out of the 3000 units sold so far, yours is the only one that I'm aware of that has been

I like how me pointing out the obvious in my last post has garnered a negative rep. LOL. Haters gonna hate.

I Lol'd at all the fanboys who had to have this must have aeg. To be honest it seems as if youy have all been taken for a ride. My A&K Masada with systema gearbox *suitcases* all over this ares ab

Posted Images

Good review, covers most important areas.

Mechbox is nice, a V2 with some of the benefits of a V3: motor cage, external wiring. If the gun is yours to keep, remember to radius the cylinder window corners.

Obvious downsides, perhaps, are unique nozzle and hop-up unit.

Not to put a downer on this guys but imho this looks pretty average. Yes the externals look quite good but from the dry firing test the rof looks distinctly average, a g&p m4 would destroy it on grounds of stock performance. For the price couldnt they have gone with another company? G&P would have been perfect but then they would be competing against themselves. Theres plenty of other guns out on the market that are a great deal more exciting than this. However it might just be that i hate the acr is black!

Little bit of a downer its Ares/star gearbox but it is upgradable none the less. The make or break for me is when they come out with the GBB internals whenever that may be. If they are ###### then that kills the whole idea for me. Ether way I have no money to buy for a while cause of bills... so I will stick with my PTW and its flaws for now.

Yes the externals look quite good but from the dry firing test the rof looks distinctly average, a g&p m4 would destroy it on grounds of stock performance. For the price couldnt they have gone with another company? G&P would have been perfect but then they would be competing against themselves.

You do know that not everyone needs/wants high ROF and/or high FPS right ? The ROF seems just about right for me.

PZH2000 is right, PTS subcontracted to ARES. Which means:

1) Motors will be *suitcase*

2) Hop-up unit is going to be a bit finicky

3) At some point things will go wrong inside

A pity, because it looks quite good otherwise.

didn't i say like ages ago that this was ARES/STAR minions work (i think i said STAR but they are same ###### to me anyways) and it was thrown out as nonsense ;)

Good review, covers most important areas.

Mechbox is nice, a V2 with some of the benefits of a V3: motor cage, external wiring. If the gun is yours to keep, remember to radius the cylinder window corners.

Obvious downsides, perhaps, are unique nozzle and hop-up unit.

It isn't mine so I won't be able to do any work on it.....for the time being.

True about the unique parts, will be interesting to see the availablity not just of the extra body kits/parts but also of the standard replacement internals.

Anybody able to confirm whether there are any similar nossles - SR25 maybe? With the hopup unit though, I couldn't find anything that will 'obviosuly' go wrong with it.

No chance of a 10.5, standard foregrip, retractable stock gun directely from the factory?

I highly doubt it :(

do you have a release date and will they be releasing all the accessories (ex. folding stock, 7.62 lower, 10.5/11.5 barrel, RIS fore-grip etc) with it on that date or will these be released later?

I've heard roughly 5-8 weeks for UK relase, but as with everything (esp MagPul) things can change and get held up.

I haven't a clue on the aftermarket parts.

You do know that not everyone needs/wants high ROF and/or high FPS right ? The ROF seems just about right for me.

Yes I have to agree, please bear in mind I just stuck any old battery I could find in to dry fire a few bursts, so the ROF is prehaps not representative of what it'll be out of the box. Also once that battery was charged and used in game the next day the ROF was higher and the trigger response was very good.

Great review! Gearbox looks beautiful, can't wait to get my hands on one when it releases. Will you be uploading any performance test videos?

I don't have any formal test videos but I have a few clips of it being used in game, although they are not amazing quality as they were taken from a cheap gun cam in a dark room lol. Also have plenty more in-game pictures to upload now.

i agree bondaloose the anticipation for this was huge. I dont think its gonna be anything like the tsi tavor but i was just concerned with the rof. I know not everyone likes a very high rof but for the price it should be one of the best performing aegs on the market. What do people think of the externals, i can see a few imperfections but that may be due to the molding process and therefore may also be on the real steal. Right now it just doesnt shout I WANT IT for me.

During crackisbad's clean up, my last post got deleted. But it should be reiterated that the base rifle comes with a fixed stock, not a folding stock. The folding stock costs considerably more to make so they decided to keep the costs down as much as they could by going with the fixed stock. That information is still current.

Also, with all this conjecture regarding the internals I asked Magpul PTS about the origins of them and they categorically said:

No it is not made by Ares. It is no relationship with them.

So take that however you wish. While it looks a lot like the stuff made by Ares in the past, my understanding was that at the time of development, PTS basically looked at all the different internals out there on the market, examined what they liked, what they didn't like, what they wanted and needed to develop themselves, and brought all those ideas together to make their ACR internals. It's possible that the internal work was outsourced to Ares, but PTS has always been forthcoming about the companies they've worked with in the past (Beta Project, Star, G&P, WA, King Arms, VFC, etc), so if they were indeed working with Ares, I don't see why they wouldn't admit it. And knowing PTS has a good relationship with Star (and everyone knows Star and their OEM Ares don't get along anymore) I'd be a little surprised if they did go through Ares. But who knows.

Darklite: Did you hear that direct from the manufacturer(s), like Magpul PTS or even better Ares themselves, that Ares was responsible for the internals? Or is that a conclusion you made based on the evidence in the pictures? If it was from distributors and/or dealers, I'd be a little skeptical, as non-manufacturers tend to conjecture quite a bit themselves and pass it off as fact (I have to sift through a lot of gossip from ALL my contacts before I get to the truth sometimes). If however, you heard that direct from Ares, that's a whole other matter. Curious. :huh:

Judging from these photo's, you can not say that it is an Ares.

I have owned different models and played around with their gearboxes.

And in some way, there is something different about this one.

the finish of the shell is much better than an Ares.

8mm bearing? a lot of manufacturers use them.

transparant hop up rubber? so? Guarder has them as well.

Most here see a quick release spring guide, so it has to be an Ares.

Same for the trigger unit. altough CA en a&k use it as well for their support replicas.

I am not saying it's not, it could still be Ares.

But since uscmCorps has info from the source, I tend to believe him more than any other run of the mill here.

for a preproduction model, it looks very good.

hope they release it in FDE and/or FG.

@Bbondaloose:

the TSI Tavor is just an expensive POS.

I used to have a Star M4 back in the day when Star and Ares were still the same deal. I must agree with some of the others here that many things about the internals look very familiar, such as the quick spring change, the mirco-thingy trigger or the soldered motor connections etc...

However, PTS claims that it's NOT made by Ares, and there is no real reason they should lie about their manufacturer, which brings me to the -somewhat logical- solution that this mechbox is made by Star (or whoever Star's OEM is these days).

I did like my old Star M4

Edited by Chevieblazer

That is definitely an Ares/Star gearbox.

Givaways are the 2 allen screws in the magwell, (and a horribly weak area for both star and ares in the past as the gearbox suffers the famous "front end crack" right through these holes.

The gearbox screws,

The Silver cylinder,

The blueish clear hopup rubber,

The Scar'esque quick change hopup/barrel.

The Mixture of bearings and solids, ala Tavor, Scar, etc etc.

The motor is also the same as an Ares/Star one, including the soldering.

The quick change spring system is 100% identical.

Even the linear spring is the same one used in the Ares/Star guns.

The Microswitch trigger,

Even the captive pin in the upper recevier is the same as the one securing the lower receiver to the Ares/Star Scar.

hate to say it, but Frontiers got shot down months ago for telling people this was going to be a Star/Ares gearbox and in actual fact, he was right.

Im looking forward to seeing the internal of this gearbox, so far its looking like my A&K with G&G internals is as good if not better, and a lot cheaper.

No sign of any mosfet or electronic fire control, wasnt that one of Magpuls claims for this new Masada/ACR? or am i mis remembering?