MagPul PTS MASADA ACR

OK, so what I'm taking away from this is that pre-production models were using Ares parts or even an Ares gb for design and development purposes, but that the final Magpul version of the gun to be released to the public is going to use Magpul's own or at least superior internal parts made by some OEM to Magpul's specs.

And so, when Frank opened the ASGI pre-production example they have there and showed us the guts, the results are misleading to say the least.

Am I warm??? Tepid?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yours definitely had wobble. And it has since been fixed. Who else's has been confirmed to have wobble? Because out of the 3000 units sold so far, yours is the only one that I'm aware of that has been

I like how me pointing out the obvious in my last post has garnered a negative rep. LOL. Haters gonna hate.

I Lol'd at all the fanboys who had to have this must have aeg. To be honest it seems as if youy have all been taken for a ride. My A&K Masada with systema gearbox *suitcases* all over this ares ab

Posted Images

Hate to be 'that guy,' but please don't post stuff like that until you have some way of backing up your claim.

He's been pretty clear about the fact that he's speculating, not claiming.

No need to back up speculation if it's presented as such.

Edited by Tacitus

Why would PTS shop around a product that isn't the finished one, and present it as such?

I'm assuming you were responding to Scuffer, not me.

To try to answer your last question, speculatively, it's been made pretty clear that the few examples of the Masada in circulation were pre-production models, and people have gone out of their way to stress that they don't necessarily represent what will be offered to the public. If Tim of ASGI stresses that so much, just imagine how much the people from Magpul stressed that to Tim (as these things always get watered down when they're repeated).

So, in brief, I don't really believe that anybody was presenting what we've seen so far as the "finished one". In the meantime, Magpul is achieving considerable success in whipping up a groundswell of expectation and excitement in anticipation of the eventual release, whenever that comes. This is textbook stuff from MBA advertising 101.

@ Scuffer. I repeat: am I warm? Tepid? Cold?

Edited by mimesis

Hate to be that guy plastic mag,

But HE got the preproduction model masada for review iirc, you didn't so he knows more than you I would think.

Either way why don't we all quit B****ing about release dates, I'm glad they didnt just shove it out the door, as the saying goes anything worth having is worth waiting for. Noone here is depending on this for their lives (I hope)and complaining here doesn't help.

Alsoo I Lol'd HARD at:

the sights are so good you don't need a scope

that is all

reaper

Hate to be that guy plastic mag,

But HE got the preproduction model masada for review iirc, you didn't so he knows more than you I would think.

Either way why don't we all quit B****ing about release dates, I'm glad they didnt just shove it out the door, as the saying goes anything worth having is worth waiting for. Noone here is depending on this for their lives (I hope)and complaining here doesn't help.

Alsoo I Lol'd HARD at:

the sights are so good you don't need a scope

that is all

reaper

People said the same thing about the VFC EGLM and it's a POS. The Ares is better in every way except weight.

Yer guys, you are right - the ones that both I had a couple of months ago and the one that ASGI have now are pre-production models. While they are very close to the final product there will be some differences (internally), things such as the finish on the parts and possibly the type of piston/cyclinder/gears etc.

I'll post some pictures when I'm able to which should explain what I mean.

Also if anybody wants to call me out on what I'm saying, go back to the start of the thread, read and try again.

Additionally anybody else find it funny that the 2 guys (me + ASGI dude) that have got hold of these so far to review them, are on different sides of the world and both called Tim?

While they are very close to the final product there will be some differences (internally), things such as the finish on the parts and possibly the type of piston/cyclinder/gears etc.

If they're still pinning down the exact specs of some of the internals, that means that general availability is still weeks and weeks (and weeks) away, after the first production run and the inevitable time for distribution.

Yep. That's why I don't get these rumored changes. If you're announcing that it'll be out, and sending out production samples, that generally indicates that you've settled on a 99% finished product, at least if you're running a smart business and campaign. I'm a marketing/public relations major, it's not rocket science.

Then again, this is Magpul PTS. What's another 4 months on top of how long the wait has been?

The gun is on the production floor and from what I heard some are already being shipped out to the EU. They hit a slight snag with the US market because US customs has gotten extremely strict with markings (they don't care if it's licensed or not) and taking issue with things such as "Made in the USA" markings when the gun is in fact not made in the USA. So PTS are having to get some of the first batch re-traded for the US market. This may or may not be an issue for people ordering single guns from HK, but it most definitely is an issue for the distributors who import hundreds of guns at a time.

The only reason why preproduction samples were given out was to allow the distributors a look at an upcoming product and to build public interest and momentum for it. But PTS really didn't want the product to be thoroughly photographed and reviewed until the final units rolled off the production line. The companies that have done so have acted without the approval of PTS from what I understand.

The internals are all finalized. The samples that are out there right now were handed out back in January. They've since locked everything else down including parts used and finishes etc. While the exact finishes and a few components of the samples may be different from the final piece, the overall setup is still the same from what I recall. While it may look like an Ares, it is also entirely possible that they had a look at every single gear box out there, figured out which work for them, and took elements that they liked from all those as well as a few of their own for their version. Ares most definitely has a unique design, but I certainly find it plausible that the MASADA Gearbox is derived from it but not necessarily made by Ares themselves. Who knows. I think people are getting a little too stuck on if it's made by Ares or not, and should instead be focusing on if the QC and design is going to be alright. Factories are capable of making things to various different specs and different QC's. A small design tweak can make a huge difference. A lot of it comes down to the client's budget and needs/expectations. If it were made by Ares' OEM (which I still don't know one way or the other), that doesn't mean it will be the same quality as all Ares products. So people can speculate all day long, but until the final pieces come out, it might be a good idea to reserve final judgement until we all have something concrete to work with. Basically, just remember that this "review" and others are observations based off 6 month old samples. A lot may or may not change during that time.

The MSRP is still slated to be $450 for the default configuration (14.5" barrel, polymer handguard, and fixed stock), and I doubt the price will be changing anymore. Accessories will be rolled out gradually instead of all at once as initially planned. The first accessory most likely will be the railed handguard and then the folding stock, and then others after. This is all current as of a couple days ago.

The gun is on the production floor and from what I heard some are already being shipped out to the EU. They hit a slight snag with the US market because US customs has gotten extremely strict with markings (they don't care if it's licensed or not) and taking issue with things such as "Made in the USA" markings when the gun is in fact not made in the USA. So PTS are having to get some of the first batch re-traded for the US market. This may or may not be an issue for people ordering single guns from HK, but it most definitely is an issue for the distributors who import hundreds of guns at a time.

The only reason why preproduction samples were given out was to allow the distributors a look at an upcoming product and to build public interest and momentum for it. But PTS really didn't want the product to be thoroughly photographed and reviewed until the final units rolled off the production line. The companies that have done so have acted without the approval of PTS from what I understand.

The internals are all finalized. The samples that are out there right now were handed out back in January. They've since locked everything else down including parts used and finishes etc. While the exact finishes and a few components of the samples may be different from the final piece, the overall setup is still the same from what I recall. While it may look like an Ares, it is also entirely possible that they had a look at every single gear box out there, figured out which work for them, and took elements that they liked from all those as well as a few of their own for their version. Ares most definitely has a unique design, but I certainly find it plausible that the MASADA Gearbox is derived from it but not necessarily made by Ares themselves. Who knows. I think people are getting a little too stuck on if it's made by Ares or not, and should instead be focusing on if the QC and design is going to be alright. Factories are capable of making things to various different specs and different QC's. A small design tweak can make a huge difference. A lot of it comes down to the client's budget and needs/expectations. If it were made by Ares' OEM (which I still don't know one way or the other), that doesn't mean it will be the same quality as all Ares products. So people can speculate all day long, but until the final pieces come out, it might be a good idea to reserve final judgement until we all have something concrete to work with. Basically, just remember that this "review" and others are observations based off 6 month old samples. A lot may or may not change during that time.

The MSRP is still slated to be $450 for the default configuration (14.5" barrel, polymer handguard, and fixed stock), and I doubt the price will be changing anymore. Accessories will be rolled out gradually instead of all at once as initially planned. The first accessory most likely will be the railed handguard and then the folding stock, and then others after. This is all current as of a couple days ago.

Okay a few questions here.

1:Whats wrong with ARES Internals? arent they a high quality company?

2:This may be Very hard for you,and if so please dont awnser,but think you can give us a rough ETA on SOME of the Acciscores?

3:on the sights, are the blades/post removeable like a M16's?,Im just DIEing to drop in some Trijiicon's on this hot potato

4:what were the trades like on your sample?

5:Thanks for the help and i apologize if im a inconvience

1:Whats wrong with ARES Internals? arent they a high quality company?

Some people don't like them. The general consensus is that Ares which was the OEM for STAR, sell STAR products at a reduced price, but also a reduced QC. I have an Ares gun. Still don't know 100% how I feel about it. And let me repeat, I don't know for certain if the Masada's internals are Ares or just very similar in design. So I'm not going to comment anymore on Ares internals as it could still have absolutely nothing to do with this product.

2:This may be Very hard for you,and if so please dont awnser,but think you can give us a rough ETA on SOME of the Acciscores?

What I said in the last post is as much as I know.

3:on the sights, are the blades/post removeable like a M16's?,Im just DIEing to drop in some Trijiicon's on this hot potato

Don't know. But at a guess I'd say probably.

4:what were the trades like on your sample?

I didn't get a sample. I've handled plenty but don't own one. I will be getting a production one once they start distributing.